Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Unfortunately for me I bit the warranty when I installed a different tune to hopefully take better advantage of my OTR intake. I then later switched the tune back to the original as I preferred that to the supposed 'custom' remote tune I'd installed. So I'm not going to bitch and moan about loosing the power train warranty. I'll man up, pay up, and not argue.
I'm not sure they'll put aftermarket stuff in and keep the warranty intact. When I had the problem with the oil pump they wouldn't put a melling pump in and honor the warranty.
Warranty?

Reactions: SS_Scott

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The Australia only bulletin for rocker arms does NOT apply to the US SS ... just look at the VIN build date range. That batch of engines with the maybe bad supplier rocker arms was AFTER SS production ended. NONE made it into US bound cars.
Can you elaborate? Do you mean our rockers are good? NOT a known problem item?

Or just a response to the posted TSB?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The Australia only bulletin for rocker arms does NOT apply to the US SS ... just look at the VIN build date range. That batch of engines with the maybe bad supplier rocker arms was AFTER SS production ended. NONE made it into US bound cars.
Hi CB. My bad.
I wasn’t completely conveying my thoughts by sharing those Bulletins. I had a quiet little Aerospace Engineer narrative running along in my head when I posted it.

I know that Australian bulletin is only for some of the last run of 2017 VF’s/WN’ produced by Holden, and did not include 2017 or earlier Chev SS models or my 2016.

I was thinking of the Holden campaign as an example illustrating the quality issues that typically can begin to arrise during the twilight phase of a sunsetting manufacturing program and product line (Of both VF, LS3, and Holden)

There’s no reason to not believe that material quality didn’t began to loosen up in the last few years of the program. The occurances of valve train issues is to broard for this to not be the case. GM is likely very aware of the issues but have determined they are purely economic in nature for what is a niche product and these issues do not warrant the expense or effort required to investigate, budget, release and support such a campaign.

As such, unless they are safety related and forced into a recall by the Authorities the manufacture won’t do anything to address it unless there is significant demand by the market.

Thats what happened in Australia to try to protect the Holden brand, and reassure their loyal and upset customer base that Holden still had the Aussie consumer in mind. Then they releasd the ZB as the new Commodore and it all went downhill from there.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
Supplier parts quality does NOT "loosen up" at the end of a program.

As with anything manufactured/assembled there are occasionally and randomly quality issues with "batches".

You should know this from the aerospace industry.

My post was 20/20.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Supplier parts quality does NOT "loosen up" at the end of a program.

As with anything manufactured/assembled there are occasionally and randomly quality issues with "batches".

You should know this from the aerospace industry.

My post was 20/20.
I do. And from my experience I will agree to disagree on how supplier and component quality fluctuates over the lifecycle of a program.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Okay update time.

Looks like it may have been the No.8 Cylinder intake valve spring that broke, not the exhaust....which makes it more in keeping with most of the other spring stories I've read about.

The spring looks to have broken up high, then the coils bound and held the valve rigid so on the next intake stroke the cam+lifter shoved the pushrod into a not-rocking rocker, and bent the rod.

They haven't told me of any other damage and have provided quotes for just replacing the broken components, and for replacing all the valve springs. So I'm assuming the piston, valve, and lifter are all okay somehow! I'm going to just get the head reinstalled along with a new pushrod, and a new valve spring, and hope there aren't any other bad springs in the installed batch....and that the rockers are all okay.

I would love the insurance of replacing all the springs, but their quote was equal to the cost of two fully built BTR or Ligenfelter Heads + a few hours of labor!!!!

So for long term piece of mind I'm going to invest in some new heads and just pay to get those installed....or do it myself.
The head is off, spend the money on the one lifter too, you won't regret it! All it needs is to be dropped in while the head is off. Just do it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The head is off, spend the money on the one lifter too, you won't regret it! All it needs is to be dropped in while the head is off. Just do it.
Well I asked them this morning about replacing the lifter and was informed that the "Tech. confirmed no damage to the hydraulic lifter at this moment in time as far as taking a look at it" - Not sure how reliable that method is.... and "He said he wouldn't worry about it since there isn't any indications of damage"

They got it buttoned up and running and took it for a test drive, only for P0171/P0174: Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1/2 to latch, but not trigger the MIL/CEL.

This is turning troublesome quite quickly.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Well I asked them this morning about replacing the lifter and was informed that the "Tech. confirmed no damage to the hydraulic lifter at this moment in time as far as taking a look at it" - Not sure how reliable that method is.... and "He said he wouldn't worry about it since there isn't any indications of damage"

They got it buttoned up and running and took it for a test drive, only for P0171/P0174: Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1/2 to latch, but not trigger the MIL/CEL.

This is turning troublesome quite quickly.....
UPDATE

So they found the intake runner on Cyl 8 had collapsed....so the repair bill grows.

Note the GM Bulletin that I'd previously found relating to intake manifold replacement when replacing an engine due to component failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Now inquiring minds just have to know.........How does one tear the top end of an engine down, then reassemble said engine and not notice a collapsed plastic intake runner when he bolts it back on?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I can't think of a single reason why your intake would have a collapsed runner in combination with the issues you had, so my vote is incompetence. You had Bubba leaning on the IM while working on disassembly and he smooshed it. I'd request an explanation on how it could've collapsed with the damage given.

The bulletin posted makes sense for catastrophic failure, but I don't know how many parts you had loose and flying around in your engine. I'm guessing not many.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've powder coated at least 5 LS3 intakes. To powder coat those intakes, they have to cure at almost 400 degrees. Depending on the number of coats, that could happen a few times for hours on end. I've NEVER seen an intake distort, much less like that! I couldn't fathom a localized vacuum strong enough to have that happen at engine operating temperatures. IMO, that could only have been done by physical impact.

Did I miss this, are you the 1st owner of this car?

·
Registered
123 Posts
How could they NOT notice the intake during reassembly?

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Wow, I have never seen that happen on an LS intake before. I've seen aftermarket ones split under boost, which is why the stock one tends to be preferred. The factory manifolds are pretty tough. I wouldn't even think Bubba leaning on it could do that.

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I know it you said 8, but was it really 7 intake spring that broke and then maybe the intake got melted from combustion gas. Or vice versa? Still doesn't make sense that they didn't see that.

@Mattel

edit, pic looks like 8, was it 8 intake spring and 8 intake runner?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Now inquiring minds just have to know.........How does one tear the top end of an engine down, then reassemble said engine and not notice a collapsed plastic intake runner when he bolts it back on?
Agreed!
I'm not throwing them any bones on this one.

Their reason for NOT noticing it was that they didn't remove the 'vanity cover' that goes over the intake runners. I can almost say 'Fair enough' on that one.....but then to not even look in the manifold, or up through each runner, or at the ports on the head...and NOT notice black plastic or some other sign of something amiss?!?!?!? :kboom:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I can't think of a single reason why your intake would have a collapsed runner in combination with the issues you had, so my vote is incompetence. You had Bubba leaning on the IM while working on disassembly and he smooshed it. I'd request an explanation on how it could've collapsed with the damage given.

The bulletin posted makes sense for catastrophic failure, but I don't know how many parts you had loose and flying around in your engine. I'm guessing not many.

They're claiming no parts came loose...just bent pushrod, broken and coil bound intake valve spring. No damage to the piston or valve.....so maybe the valve was stuck open just enough to blow combustion and exhaust gasses back up through the valve into the manifold. But wasn't open enough for the piston and valve to make contact?

If that's the case I consider myself both truly unlucky, and lucky all at once.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've powder coated at least 5 LS3 intakes. To powder coat those intakes, they have to cure at almost 400 degrees. Depending on the number of coats, that could happen a few times for hours on end. I've NEVER seen an intake distort, much less like that! I couldn't fathom a localized vacuum strong enough to have that happen at engine operating temperatures. IMO, that could only have been done by physical impact.

Did I miss this, are you the 1st owner of this car?

Yeah, first and only owner of the car. Ordered in Jan 16, took delivery of it July 16 with 9miles on the clock. No one has touched it other than myself and Chevrolet dealership service center employees.
My touching has been to remove the engine cover several times, install my OTR intake, and do every 3000mile oil changes. Chev dealership service techs have touched it to do the seat belt SB (clearly not engine), Steering rack recall, planned maintenance interval services (oil change and cabin air filter), and on one occasion to try to isolate a high pitched ringing/squeal between 4000rpm-4500/5000rpm....and of course for this issue.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I know it you said 8, but was it really 7 intake spring that broke and then maybe the intake got melted from combustion gas. Or vice versa? Still doesn't make sense that they didn't see that.

@Mattel

edit, pic looks like 8, was it 8 intake spring and 8 intake runner?
My bad...brain fart 8 intake spring and runner. NFI where my addled mind pulled 7 from!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts