Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
During the initial troubleshooting of the broken valve spring on my 2015, the “vanity cover” was removed and NOW I’m glad it was.

My tuner (who did the troubleshooting) recommended permanent removal of the cover as a method of combating heat soak. Heck, I’ll take all the help I can get - especially living in Phoenix.

Yes, there is a baby’s breath increase in audible engine chatter (which I happen to like)...I’ve always enjoyed mechanical sounds.

Reactions: Taze

·
Registered
8 Posts
New member bringing post back from the dead. Just turned 99000 miles on my 2015 tuned SS and had to limp home with a P0300 code. Towed to the dealer and found out it was a broken valve spring. Good news is there was no further damage but wanted to say thanks for the info here as I knew to shut down as soon as it was safe and check code before proceeding. I keep my Livernois unit with me just in case for times like this.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,644 Posts
I needed to sit down in a chair that had arms so I can play armchair mechanic, —or not. I worked on a number of 903 Cummins, but only minor work on vintage V8's.

Anywho, I agree with NAVY LIFER (nothing new there), but I would get an estimate before proceeding further. The cost of a long block or a Chevrolet Performance factory LS7 may be a viable consideration. You get a new engine and more power if you choose the latter. Maybe CB750 knows if the purchase of a GM-certified engine comes with a warranty.

BTW, I'm glad you're not throwing in the towel on your SS because of this. 😇

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Always good to hear story with a happy ending. Early on a few forum members had spring failures without catastrophic consequences. Made me swap to Pacs 1218 for piece of mind. I have since cammed and switch to 1207 dual springs.
New member bringing post back from the dead. Just turned 99000 miles on my 2015 tuned SS and had to limp home with a P0300 code. Towed to the dealer and found out it was a broken valve spring. Good news is there was no further damage but wanted to say thanks for the info here as I knew to shut down as soon as it was safe and check code before proceeding. I keep my Livernois unit with me just in case for times like this.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts