Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
your favorite cars in YOUR life .. besides the SS

yeah, we all know the SS is it today but .. .. ..
as expected, many threads already exist to brag about the SS .. this is not for such no SS brags here ...

List your favorite car(s) in your life, and what made it so .. backseat observations included …

#1 .. '68 fastback Impala with a bench seats, front and back ...

#2 .. Lincoln Mark VII LSC, most aerodynamic, quiet and comfortable family cars (had two) I have ever owned, plus able to cruise at triple digits ...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Mine would be the other car in my sig except that I’ve never actually driven it. It has been under restoration forever.

I keep my cars on average 10 years which means I just haven’t owned many (the SS is #5), My 2nd favorite was probably the Tacoma. Insanely reliable and very enjoyable to drive in a much different way. It only had one minor issue — the frame rotted out.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Tale of Two Coupes

2004 GTO LS1 manual...miss the 29mpg highway mileage, nice camshaft lope at idle, and the way it obliterated a Lexus IS350 on a long merge from 2 lanes into 1 near Fort Bliss, Texas. Still see its ghost/memorial to this day sometimes at the scene of the conquest. RIP Lexus-san

·
Registered
564 Posts
my holden 69 lc torana with a mild 186s. mild cam ,500 holley ,headers and trimatic ,love the way it chirps the wheels in to second and doing wheelies in it real fun.................

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I haven't really owned that many cars over the years compared to many "enthusiasts". I tend to get attached to them and keep them longer than I should. Even so, it's hard to pick a single favorite. Since the OP listed two, I'll try that.

1. 2001 M5. A great car to drive, an OK car to own. Sold in '06 when our second was born. The SS goes along way toward easing the pain, but I still miss it sometimes.

2. Stretched '77 CJ5. The most fun I ever had with my clothes on, over and over and over again. A nightmare to own, mostly because I made countless terrible decisions and ruined a great Jeep. Hasn't been started in over 5 years. Collecting dust in a storage barn on nearly flat tires. Will probably need to sell it soon and it will not be easy to do.

·
Registered
808 Posts
No car I have ever owned compares to the 2 SSs we have owned.

Not my 1979 Trans Am (the first nice car I ever owned).
Not my 1974 (?) Jensen Healy.
Not even my 1968 Mercedes 250 SL (White with red leather interior).

The SSs are faster, handle better, more reliable than any of those cars.
It really isn't a contest....

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
A toss up between 2 totally different types of cars.

1. 1966 Pontiac Tempest that i built into a GTO clone. I did a (rarely done) mod to the chassis that transformed the handling of it. I had 2 1/2 deg of positive caster put into it by modifying the upper control arms, used a '70 Trans Am front sway bar(1 1/4 in) and links, rear sway bar from a 442(GTO did not use one at that time), Trans Am steering gear box(1.5 turns lock to lock) and more, too much to list. I drove that car to runner up to a '67 Camaro at several slalom races, one day he didn't show up and I won!(First time winning) It is that car that my SS reminds me of!

2. The other car was my 1981 RX7 GSL, the first new car that I bought for myself. That car had such perfect balance, kinda like a Miata.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe …. got it right it when they first came out and were all the rage. At the time, dealers were charging more than sticker for them. The one I got was ordered by another guy but his wife walked away from the deal when she decided she wanted the tan interior versus the black on black that mine had and that I wanted anyway. They had it parked in the showroom and I got to drive it out. Got it for sticker. At the time, there was not an Infiniti dealer in my area so people had no idea what they were or thought it was something much more exotic / expensive. I actually was parked at a client's office and some guy pulled in off the street to come inside to ask me about the car.

The other fav of mine was a 2007 Cadillac SRX Sport. The Sport was a rare package on the SRX as it came with 20" rims and more importantly a 4.6 NorthStar V8 with more aggressive timing that required 93 octane gas. I think the same engine came in the STS versus the more mild NorthStar that came in the SLS sedans. That car was fun to drive and handled great considering it was an AWD SUV that could haul 7 passengers. The sunroof that covered almost the entire roof was a hit too. Always got lots of complements on that car.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Edited off the long novel, got carried away lol. Anyway.....

My 1982 Camaro z28. Red, loaded off the showroom floor November 2, 1982.
Motor Trend Car of the Year. I know it was not fast (NOW). Did not know the difference (THEN).

·
Registered
777 Posts
1973 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1.6. A 4 door with an all aluminum engine (block, head and finned sump), DOHC with shim valve clearance adjusters, 2 dual barrel carbs, 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 speed (in 1973!!) with direct actuation (shifting was like changing speeds in a lathe), RWD with all coil spring suspension and aluminum diff (with cooling fins). Beautifully balanced and "tail happy".
Saved up for a few years and bought it used in 1978. One of the original true sports sedans. Engine responsiveness, smoothness and sound was magic.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts