Chevy SS Forum banner

www.iseecars.com estimates low depreciation for SS

9K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  IanSS 
#1 · (Edited)
I find the VIN lookup facility at https://www.iseecars.com/vin quite interesting. It requires one to input the VIN number, and optionally the mileage and zip code and in return one gets loads of information on the particular vehicle and vehicle model.

According to this facility, my 2016 SS now having just under 25k miles has a market value of around $39k. This is considerably more than that determined by edmonds.com. What's surprising is that iseecars estimates that my SS's value will decrease only about $3,000 to $36k in the next five years (total of 7.5 years). It gives similar data for competitors, BMW 5 series, Cadillac XTS and Audi A6, which will depreciate by $7k, $6k and $7k, respectfully, over the next five years.

I discovered this website iseecars about three months ago and do not attest to the credibility of the data it generates. I share it for your information. Some might find it useful.

#2 ·
thanks for the link.

for my car they even showed the funny business when i bought it (for sale twice)

ppp

#3 ·
Interesting site. If you select nationwide for other SS for sale, it is kind of disturbing how many are on the block looking for new owners.

#4 ·
not really when you look at it from a 10k view. gas guzzler V8 , sedan, over priced malibu.

ask me the same question 2 years ago i would have gave the same answer. people just dont know about the car. my friend who's a car guy too wasnt aware of the SS.

#7 ·
sorry will clarify,

2 yrs ago( and earlier ) i compared the SS to the Genesis and found it lacking on paper 415 vs 425hp 6sp vs 8sp etc.
I had no info on the back story of the SS so it was lacking and not worthy.

it doesnt matter if its new or used the prices are high for a " Malibu sedan with horrible MPG ". we are a select group of people
who know the car is more than the sum of its parts.

My car sat on the lot for 105 or so days, for the obvious reasons. the same applies for used SS. I cant see the majority of buyers knowing about the SS when shopping for a sedan. Its only a few people that would traverse the country to buy one. I kinda made a
mistake back in the late 80s , missed out on a souped up 1970 or so classic. As long as i dont get hit by a shopping cart I plan to keep the car till my demise. **** even if a shopping cart hits the car I'd prob buy it salvage and figure something out.

on another tangent, if you were a regular buyer (not educated on the SS) would you invest in a car that has questionable part availability when you need to replace the family transport ?

ppp

#12 · (Edited)
sorry will clarify,

2 yrs ago( and earlier ) i compared the SS to the Genesis and found it lacking on paper 415 vs 425hp 6sp vs 8sp etc.

I had no info on the back story of the SS so it was lacking and not worthy.

it doesnt matter if its new or used the prices are high for a " Malibu sedan with horrible MPG ". we are a select group of people

who know the car is more than the sum of its parts.

My car sat on the lot for 105 or so days, for the obvious reasons. the same applies for used SS. I cant see the majority of buyers knowing about the SS when shopping for a sedan. Its only a few people that would traverse the country to buy one. I kinda made a

mistake back in the late 80s , missed out on a souped up 1970 or so classic. As long as i dont get hit by a shopping cart I plan to keep the car till my demise. **** even if a shopping cart hits the car I'd prob buy it salvage and figure something out.

on another tangent, if you were a regular buyer (not educated on the SS) would you invest in a car that has questionable part availability when you need to replace the family transport ?

ppp

You must have issues (or blower) if your getting bad MPG? I'm getting double the fuel economy of my other vehicle. **** even if I was only getting 14-15MPG I would still be happy with MPG.

Oh also I rented one of the current Malibus, besides being the most horrible vehicle on the marketplace (1.5L should be a soda size not an engine size), it achieved only 1 MPG better than I average in my SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
its just a crock no matter how you shape it up.
as far as im concerned im glad i didnt miss out. because this is it !

Im just jealous of you 2015 folks ... 21 yrs and you have a classic ;)

can you imagine what the landscape will look like in 21 yrs...

ppp

#11 ·
I've been closely watching used SS prices for quite awhile now. The prices do seem to be VERY strong for a pre-owned muscle sedan from GM, but they're pretty much all over the board. It really depends on the car itself and where it's located. For instance, many of the California, Texas and Florida cars seem to be commanding a couple grand more than those found in other parts of the country - especially northern states. Similarly, the disparity between the model years is astounding. As an example, in looking at cars with 25-35k miles in decent condition with no accidents, average pricing seems to be as follows:

$26-30k for 2014
$30-34k for 2015
$33-40k for 2016
$36-41k for 2017

Of course, these are asking prices and there are certainly outliers. There's one 2014 with 163,000 miles on it STILL listed for $20k, several 2017's with under 10k miles for $42k+ and even one brand new black 2017 still listed at $53,000. It may be the last new one in the country. There are deals to be had on these things because next to no one is actually buying them. There's a very nice white 16 auto sitting on the other side of town from my house right now listed at just over $35k that could probably be bought for $32-33k. It gives me hope for when I'm in the market in a few months. I know my SIM 6A with a sunroof is out there somewhere waiting for me to take her home...

#15 ·
this isn't overly surprising. We figure it will depreciate somewhere between a G8 GT, and a G8 GXP only because it's a more common GXP in the collector's eyes. Obviously we know it's a bit more than that, but I am over simplifying.

Ultimately, who cares? These are great cars with a cult following. Those that appreciate them, know they are valuable, and people who don't, won't buy them.

#16 ·
Couldn't agree more. That's actually a pretty good thing for those of us who will be in the market soon. These cars, whereas valuable and rare, are a VERY hard sell for a dealership. People aren't beating down the doors to buy these things. It takes the right buyer at the right time and right price to unload even an unmolested, stock SS. It's even harder if there are any modifications that have been done to the car. There was a pristine 2017 A6 sunroof car in white with 17k miles at a used car dealership about two miles from my house not long ago. I don't know how this place came into ownership of it, but I do know the price started at around $40k back in the summer. After the car sat and sat and sat, the price kept coming down... $38k... $37.2k...$36.5k... until, finally, it hit a rock bottom price of $34.7k. This is a 2017 low mile SS we're talking about here that had absolutely NO interest here. I saw the car in person - not a scratch on it and the only modification was that it had tinted windows. The Carfax was clear and it had only been owned by the original owner for 14 months. There seemed to be no reason whatsoever why this car shouldn't have sold at that crazy price. More than once, I contemplated if I could financially make it happen and would I be ok with having a white car. I could have afforded it, but the answer to the second question was, unfortunately, no. So, as quietly as it sat on that lot for months, it disappeared without a trace. It likely went to auction, so I've been scouring the listings to see if it shows up again. I believe there will be deals out there this spring when I get serious about shopping around.

#17 ·
thats what i dont get.

its like auctions... all depends whos in the audience.
may be cold may be hot. no way to tell .

ppp

#18 ·
Interesting. I’m buying my second GXP soon.

#21 ·
My 2017 M6 has nearly 55K on it to date (22 months ownership), and the linked site indicates I've given up about $6000 in resale value because of the high miles (it valued me at a bit over $35K).

I figure I've gotten at least that much value in smiles (and parking lot double-takes), so we're good.

es

Reactions: GTO2SS
#22 ·
That's a pretty interesting site.

It shows my '17 with about 8000 miles, having a value of $42.5k It shows the value in 3 years as only being $3k less.

Lots of interesting info on there.

#23 ·
Another interesting thing to think about is that these cars don't move very quickly on dealer lots at all. Manual cars look to sell a little better than automatic cars, but I've been watching a few cars bounce around to different dealers via auctions over the last several months. One particular one that I'd love to pull the trigger on purchasing is currently at its THIRD dealership since October 2018. Taking one in on a trade seems to be a risky business proposition if a dealership offers what these cars are actually worth. Trying to sell a low mileage 2016 auto car for $40k+ to try to make a profit is a VERY hard sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.