Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Holden VF HD 2100kg tow bar only. No hitch balls or wiring just the bar that goes under the rear fascia.
Located in Long Island but willing to travel for it.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I've been looking as well, and all I have come upon are new ones here and they are not cheap...

I was dumb when a friend offered to hand carry one back for me, thinking I'd score one. Maybe if he comes back this year haha

The handful of used ones that have come up for sale sell very quick at good prices.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Not sure if he still has any in stock but check with Karo at Holdenparts USA

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking as well, and all I have come upon are new ones here and they are not cheap...

I was dumb when a friend offered to hand carry one back for me, thinking I'd score one. Maybe if he comes back this year haha

The handful of used ones that have come up for sale sell very quick at good prices.
Yup. I’d buy a new one if I could that is already here. I’m not paying shipping from Australia. Otherwise I want just the bar nothing else. Not hooking up a trailer so I don’t need lights or wiring. Going to put a cargo tray back there.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if he still has any in stock but check with Karo at Holdenparts USA
I checked the site it has nothing and really don’t want one from Cali. Shipping for the will be insane. I do have my limits unless he does that same deal like the hoods he did a while back. The truck route was all mapped out and you had to meet up to get the hood at one of the many stops it was making.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Yep. I tried to line up 5 local buyers but couldn't for a lot, and I am not in the mood to hold onto them and lose $ haha

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. I tried to line up 5 local buyers but couldn't for a lot, and I am not in the mood to hold onto them and lose $ haha
So are you saying you have a tow bar for sale?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Nope. I couldn't get a minimum of 5 locals to commit to buy before ordering them as a pallet to save shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope. I couldn't get a minimum of 5 locals to commit to buy before ordering them as a pallet to save shipping.
Ahhhhhh I see. Group buy. Gotcha.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Based on the Australian catalog cut, this would not be difficult to fabricate. A few pieces of square/rectangular steel tubing. Any decent welder could make this, with measurements taken from the car. It would not cost anything like A$642, $482 US not to mention shipping. Of course there would be no manufacturer warranty, or evidence of code spec. compliance. But a little thicker tube wall, and a better-than-mass-production weld quality would add safety by overdesign. The weak link is where it bolts on to the bumper brackets.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Based on the Australian catalog cut, this would not be difficult to fabricate. A few pieces of square/rectangular steel tubing. Any decent welder could make this, with measurements taken from the car. It would not cost anything like A$642, $482 US not to mention shipping. Of course there would be no manufacturer warranty, or evidence of code spec. compliance. But a little thicker tube wall, and a better-than-mass-production weld quality would add safety by overdesign. The weak link is where it bolts on to the bumper brackets.
It would be easy build no doubt ,but compliance across US states maybe a problem. I would imagine any Australian products would also come under the same precautions and mandated restrictions.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have towed trailers for many years with a variety of tow vehicles and multiple different trailers. This includes an 18,000 lb. sports car race trailer on a gooseneck hitch which I towed for 40,000 miles. No one has ever inspected any of this, or shown an interest in inspecting it. It is of course a different matter after the fact if there is an accident where hitch failure was the proximate cause. Generally it is expected that the free public at large will apply common sense and use a hitch and related load distribution equipment that is suitable for the load. If such common sense is lacking or not applied, then the genetic process of natural selection may come into play.

I live in SoCal where the legislature passes a couple thousand new laws every year, which add to a total of what must be by now a few hundred thousand laws on the books. There are way more laws than can be meaningfully enforced, and the equilibrium position is that basically none are consistently enforced. Consequently there is minimal improvement of such worthy societal goals as public health, public safety or bad behavior.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have towed trailers for many years with a variety of tow vehicles and multiple different trailers. This includes an 18,000 lb. sports car race trailer on a gooseneck hitch which I towed for 40,000 miles. No one has ever inspected any of this, or shown an interest in inspecting it. It is of course a different matter after the fact if there is an accident where hitch failure was the proximate cause. Generally it is expected that the free public at large will apply common sense and use a hitch and related load distribution equipment that is suitable for the load. If such common sense is lacking or not applied, then the genetic process of natural selection may come into play.

I live in SoCal where the legislature passes a couple thousand new laws every year, which add to a total of what must be by now a few hundred thousand laws on the books. There are way more laws than can be meaningfully enforced, and the equilibrium position is that basically none are consistently enforced. Consequently there is minimal improvement of such worthy societal goals as public health, public safety or bad behavior.
Granted your reason are based on US law (specifically (SOCAL ) my response is based on Australian standards law that is federally applied and any foreign products including US products must conform to these standards. I assumed that state or federal laws in the U.S would have a similar approach. We can’t register cars in Australia without approved Australian standards products ( including tow bars ) otherwise police can pull you over and defect your car and trailer ,if they believe it’s a danger.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wasn't sure you were based in Australia, but I thought you might be the SSV wagon shown. I did not mean this as an attack on OZ, just a vote in favor of self reliance. There are politicians here that aspire to making the USA more of a command & control place, but as the SoCal example illustrates most problems can't be fixed with more laws and regulations. It would be easier to pass a law outlawing crimes of all kinds, if there was any chance this would work. And outlaw hunger and sickness while at it.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
A good friend of mine is the engineer who did the factory hitch/testing for Holden. While you can backyard anything - factory fit is factory fit.

I know a lot of friends who have made their own hitches for projects / customs to pull their custom trailers. If you are a good welder with the equipment - anything is possible.

Many ways to skin a cat, but i wouldn't trust just anyone to make a hitch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts