Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the 2016 bimodal SS exhaust work on a 2015?

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I bet it could be wired up with a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bmr4life

·
Premium Member
14,307 Posts
cats back yes but control issues ...

Reactions: Esoteric

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
If you could figure out the signal to control. Heaven forbid reflashing ECU to my16
as this and the wiring modification will void your bumper to bumper warranty!:nerd
Kidding in light of some controversy going on I am finding it hard to refrain from customization and sit on my hands. Borla has a system for Vettes, perhaps they make one for your application.

·
Premium Member
14,307 Posts
16 mufflers alone have a list of 1000.00 each.....wow.....don't back into anything
... and then you need the midpipe to go along with the left and right mufflers!:devil

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was also thinking of doing this but not now.....that is way too much. Y

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
71 Posts
It sure seems like adding the bi-modal exhaust would have been a fairly simple, bolt on exercise for GM. It would not make sense to spend a bunch of money and Engineering time to add this feature to a dying, limited addition car. So, obviously the key is what did GM need to do in order to add the controls? Again, it would not make much sense to add something expensive and complex to do this, so it does not seem like it would be difficult to do IF one knew what to do.... This is the only feature on the 2016 that I like better than my 2015. Still, I like to keep my cars factory original for the most part so I would not pursue this, but I can certainly understand the interest folks would have in being able to add a GM factory bi-modal exhaust to a 2014 or 2015.... Maybe once the run is completed in 2017, GM will offer a retrofit kit for the older models.... Now it serves as a potential sales feature so they don't want used 2014's and 2015's with an added factory bi-model exhaust competing against the 2016's and 2017's.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Theres kits available that tie into the trunk fuse box that allow to to open and close the baffles in bimodal exhaust that's been added to a car. Only difference is it won't be controlled by rpm or suspension mode.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
You can bolt up the 16 exhaust to your 14 or 15....The 16 exhaust will "default" to the "open" position as there is no control input for the bi-mode. The exhaust note on the 16 cars is impressive... The exhaust note on a MT16 is bad***...Snarls, pops, etc etc. I drive my 15 in tour mode always because our roads here suck. I drive my 16MT car in perf so I can hear the wonderful sound, even if I rupture my spleen doing it. Bad***

·
Premium Member
14,307 Posts
Theres kits available that tie into the trunk fuse box that allow to to open and close the baffles in bimodal exhaust that's been added to a car. Only difference is it won't be controlled by rpm or suspension mode.
They are not validated for the '16 SS so you are the beta tester.

·
Premium Member
14,307 Posts
You can bolt up the 16 exhaust to your 14 or 15....The 16 exhaust will "default" to the "open" position as there is no control input for the bi-mode. The exhaust note on the 16 cars is impressive... The exhaust note on a MT16 is bad***...Snarls, pops, etc etc. I drive my 15 in tour mode always because our roads here suck. I drive my 16MT car in perf so I can hear the wonderful sound, even if I rupture my spleen doing it. Bad***
Yup default fully open.

But the $$$ for the bimodal mufflers!!! Plus there is no mid muffler/h crossover on the '16 exhaust pipe so to get the same sound you gotta get that ~$800 piece too.

Reactions: wiseman08

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Lots of aftermarket choices for that money. Not stock but a choice f sound depending on what you want.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yup default fully open.

But the $$$ for the bimodal mufflers!!! Plus there is no mid muffler/h crossover on the '16 exhaust pipe so to get the same sound you gotta get that ~$800 piece too.
I agree..buying the mufflers new is stupid...but alot of times you can get them off wrecks or other people that decide to go aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Of course, I could just pull the fuse for the bi-mode and still be able to hear all the snap-crackle-pop regardless of ride setting........hmmmmm

·
Registered
345 Posts
Speaking of which...does anyone have the part numbers for the 2016 npp mufflers? Gmparts lists the old style muffler incorrectly

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lots of aftermarket choices for that money. Not stock but a choice f sound depending on what you want.
I agree you can nab the Borla & get that sound for half the cost of buying the BiModals for the 2016.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts