Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to install my new wideband next time I get a day off, what is everyone tapping into to piggyback power off of ? It needs to come on with remote start, pretty much whenever the engine is running it needs to be on. What are you tapping into and did you use a relay or anything like that ? TIA

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Radar detector??? Not sure what you mean by wide band.
He's talking about a Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Gauge, I'm assuming anyway. As for wiring, and switched 12v should work, could do an "add a fuse" off the center console charging port. Other then that there should be a good amount of 12v switched circuits in the interior fuse box.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
So I am going to install my new wideband next time I get a day off, what is everyone tapping into to piggyback power off of ? It needs to come on with remote start, pretty much whenever the engine is running it needs to be on. What are you tapping into and did you use a relay or anything like that ? TIA
Depends on the location of your wideband. My radar detector is up by the overhead console, so I tapped into the switched power to the sunroof inside the overhead console.

My phone mount is located on the passenger side of the lower center console, so I tapped into the cigarette lighter socket that's located inside the center console compartment.

In both cases, the devices switch on/off with the car's ignition. Works perfectly for my needs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here's the thing, some widebands are sensitive to voltage supply. The Innovate widebands are, at least. That means you can use a switched power source for a relay, but the actual power should be from a source like the positive terminal in the engine bay. It's been a while, but when I wired a wideband in my Camaro, it crapped out after a couple months. Killed a sensor or two, kept acting up, etc. Replaced the gauge and controller and had the same problem, turns out it was my 12V supply. I used the same Innovate LC-2 in my Hombre swap and it's been working flawlessly for 8500 miles so far, road trips, daily service, etc. Just make sure you find out what NOT to wire it to from the manufacturer and abide.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wideband is an A/F ratio gauge... anyways yes I know its sensitive to voltage thats why this is kind of kicking my ass, I also haven't had time to actually look into any of the wiring throughout the car. Was hoping maybe someone here had done it before. Thanks for all the help anyways.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Radar detector??? Not sure what you mean by wide band.
hahahahahahhaha

You can tell the type of owner demographic we have with these cars lol.:crying

wideband A/F ratio, use it calibrate your air/spark/fuel ratio usually most newb tuners just do WOT, because thats where you break ****, but there is a lot that can be done to improve driveability of a modded car by logging and using a properly calibrated gauge for lambda readings.

Just messing with ya.

·
Registered
860 Posts
With this car the majority of circuits are always on which makes wiring things like a wideband (or 2 :) ) more challenging. There are a scant few circuits in the under the hood fuse box that are switched 12v; once you identify one you are happy with using that to trigger a relay makes the wiring pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did it yesterday, I bought a fuse adapter and put it in fuse number 48 I believe in the large fuse box under the hood. Everything appears to be working great, turns on when it needs to be on, turns off when it needs to be off. Haven't bought a pod yet so its just chillin in the cubby hole in front of the shifter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy ass job if you know exactly what your doing, but I had no clue what I was doing going into it, still pretty easy though.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead but I searched and found this thread so I figured I'd complete some info here. I just installed a wideband. I wanted reliable readings and no problems so I decided to use a relay (besides I have a extra relay kit in my tool box).
I used slot 48 in the under hood fuse box as a switched source for the relay. It is a empty slot but according to my test light it is a switched source. I wired that switched source to pin 86 on my relay. I grabbed a good constant 12v source from the 12 volt hub right outside the under hood fuse box, that feeds pin 30 on the relay. I wired a inline mini fuse holder between the 12v hub and pin 30 so the circuit is fused. I grounded the relay at the ground strap next to the fuse box. Finally pin 87 powers my wide band. I ran the wires for the wideband into the cabin using a grommet below and to the left of the cabin filter (from the front of the car) (thank you Jason Lester for suggesting that spot, it was perfect). I removed the grommet, de-pinned the harness that feeds from the controller to the ntk sensor, poked a hole in the grommet and feed the wires through the hole, through the grommet and into the engine bay from the passenger compartment. I then feed the wires through a rear hole on the strut tower and into the wheel well (behind the wheel liner). At the bottom of the wheel liner I was was able to route the wires through the frame rail and come out of a hole near my sensor. From there I tucked and fished the wire under a heat shield and popped out right at my sensor. The sensor is installed in the rear O2 slot, passenger side. I have catless connection pipes so it was easy to put the wideband there. I then zip tied the new connector to the plug for the stock rear O2 on the side of the trans pan.
Inside the cabin I installed my afx display/controller in the glove box since I have it wired to display on my nGauge. I removed the glove box to cut a nice hole for the wires to pass into. The airbag under the glove box has to come out first, don't try to remove the trim panel off the airbag, it comes out in a one piece assembly with the airbag. Also pop the bling chrome trim off above the glove box.
It came out pretty awesome!
I'll see if I can get some pics soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead but I searched and found this thread so I figured I'd complete some info here. I just installed a wideband. I wanted reliable readings and no problems so I decided to use a relay (besides I have a extra relay kit in my tool box).
I used slot 48 in the under hood fuse box as a switched source for the relay. It is a empty slot but according to my test light it is a switched source. I wired that switched source to pin 86 on my relay. I grabbed a good constant 12v source from the 12 volt hub right outside the under hood fuse box, that feeds pin 30 on the relay. I wired a inline mini fuse holder between the 12v hub and pin 30 so the circuit is fused. I grounded the relay at the ground strap next to the fuse box. Finally pin 87 powers my wide band. I ran the wires for the wideband into the cabin using a grommet below and to the left of the cabin filter (from the front of the car) (thank you Jason Lester for suggesting that spot, it was perfect). I removed the grommet, de-pinned the harness that feeds from the controller to the ntk sensor, poked a hole in the grommet and feed the wires through the hole, through the grommet and into the engine bay from the passenger compartment. I then feed the wires through a rear hole on the strut tower and into the wheel well (behind the wheel liner). At the bottom of the wheel liner I was was able to route the wires through the frame rail and come out of a hole near my sensor. From there I tucked and fished the wire under a heat shield and popped out right at my sensor. The sensor is installed in the rear O2 slot, passenger side. I have catless connection pipes so it was easy to put the wideband there. I then zip tied the new connector to the plug for the stock rear O2 on the side of the trans pan.
Inside the cabin I installed my afx display/controller in the glove box since I have it wired to display on my nGauge. I removed the glove box to cut a nice hole for the wires to pass into. The airbag under the glove box has to come out first, don't try to remove the trim panel off the airbag, it comes out in a one piece assembly with the airbag. Also pop the bling chrome trim off above the glove box.
It came out pretty awesome!
I'll see if I can get some pics soon.
Do you have any pics to post?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sorry to miss the reply in August. If have to go look for the rating on the relay but a decision on what's needed should really be decided by the maximum current draw of your wideband, usually the maximum draw is at startup.

I can get pics soon, when I start working on the car next week. Is there anything specific you are looking to see?
Most of the wiring to the actual sensor is well hidden because I depinned the connector and feed it into the fender and then through the frame rail.
Let me see if I have any pics I'm my phone in the meantime

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I went with an AEM X-series obd2 compatible wideband to go with the mpvi2 and ended up feeding the sensor wiring through the fender and the cabin filter box area. There's a nice grommet there that feeds into the glovebox area.

Hardest part is finding an ignition on fuse to tap into that's in a reasonable distance. However seeing as this also runs into the obd2 port, hotplugging the gauge after the car has started causes some.....interesting issues. I think I'm going to leave mine wired for constant power and wire in a toggle switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Curious to see a pic of where the hole and grommet is through the firewall.

I've got a waterproof relay hung next to the under hood fuse box wired up to the positive main for the fuse box. Using a piggyback on the open 48 location to switch the relay.

Just need to run into the cabin now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts