Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not interested in how dark a tint is, but how effective a tint is a reducing heat transmission to the interior.

I've done some Googling and ceramic films appear to be the way to good.

I'm in Texas and a cooler car is important to me and the family.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm looking at 3M Color Gard vs 3M Crystalline. Color Gard comes in darker tints, but Crystalline blocks more heat.

I had 35% Color Gard on my previous car and it seemed pretty good. I like the lighter shades so I'll probably go with 40% Crystalline unless it's crazy expensive.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Llumar Pinnacle Formula 1, it's expensive but at 35% kept the heat out no problem, another brand that I liked was Hooper Optik but I think it may have been residential :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm not interested in how dark a tint is, but how effective a tint is a reducing heat transmission to the interior.

Thoughts?
The tint shop at my dealership has been installing Llumar ceramic tint for its better heat rejection properties.

Reactions: KenzSS and Hellgate

·
Registered
616 Posts
I went with LLumar CTX and got it done at a car stereo shop that does work on high end cars and comercial vehicles and has been around a long time. You want both a quality film and a good install. I also considered a shop that specialized in tining exclusively, but it was further away.

·
Registered
394 Posts
From what I found when researching. Huper Optik and Llumar are owned by same company with Huper being their top product. They are aimed at slightly different markets. Huper has better heat rejection. It's expensive. Huper is for automotive use too although some didn't think it could be properly curved for automotive use at first. But it can.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Thoughts?

Thanks, great thread and something I have been wanting to know. Also why I went with a "lighter" color.

For those who reply, thanks also.

Reactions: devang

·
Registered
790 Posts
3M Crystalline seems to block heat the best

I'm happy with my SunTek CXP, in terms of price and heat rejection. Used it on several of my cars

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Pretty happy with 3M Crystalline here in Aridzona. Lets the A/C throttle down, even in full sun, and retained good visibility through the tinted windows.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Look at getting the windshield tinted with an 80% light transmission - does not affect visibility at that light of a tint and blocks / reflects like 50 to 60% according to manufacturer. I can definitely feel a difference. I have llumar formula 1 pinnacle 35% and 70 or 80% in the wind shield. Just got it done and 90+ degree weather has not started here yet. But I already feel a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Anyone had their windshield done in a state with registration stickers that go on the windshield? Not sure how that would work. Also worried about it affecting the HUD.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm currently waiting to get Formula 1 Pinnacle installed in the lightest tint. Pretty impressive stuff.

Done deal. Formula One Pinnacle tint. Looks great with the black wrap, side vents, and surrounds. Next week the handles get color matched. Getting there.

Reactions: rebel21

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone had their windshield done in a state with registration stickers that go on the windshield? Not sure how that would work. Also worried about it affecting the HUD.
The shop I'm currently at makes a cut out for inspection stickers.

Reactions: jonkr15
1 - 13 of 13 Posts