Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having rotors and pads done tomorrow, all OEM. Local mechanic to do the work.

Previously, when I bought the car in 2018, I had all OEM that began squeaking. I had the dealer perform the the service bulletin and it worked. I then did pads (powerstop z26) before a track event.

Now I'm just wondering if it the squeal will return now that I'm going back to stock pads.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Apply the grease that should likely come in the pad kit to the TSB area.

Assuming you bought all of the parts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apply the grease that should likely come in the pad kit to the TSB area.

Assuming you bought all of the parts?
Yes, ordered from Rock Auto. However, if the pad kit was a separate item to order, I did not order that (I'm not the most auto tech savy).

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Yes, ordered from Rock Auto. However, if the pad kit was a separate item to order, I did not order that (I'm not the most auto tech savy).
If you ordered rotors and pads, what did you order for the pads?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Yes, they will likely squeal again at some point. The best thing you can do is once a year pull all the tires at each corner, pop out the pads and re-apply copper paste, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, they will likely squeal again at some point. The best thing you can do is once a year pull all the tires at each corner, pop out the pads and re-apply copper paste, and you should be good to go.
Sound advice. As I mentioned, not entirely auto tech savvy, but I recognize that I need to know how to do this, and plan on learning sooner than later. Especially since I'm hoping for a track weekend in June

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Probably just a coincidence, but my brakes were squealing about 6 month ago, so I went out on the interstate, wound it up then hit the brakes relatively hard. No squealing for months. Now it's coming back. I was told once upon a time that the squealing was from brake dust that has built up. Take it for what it's worth. At the very least, if you follow my instructions, you get to go out on the interstate and open it up!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably just a coincidence, but my brakes were squealing about 6 month ago, so I went out on the interstate, wound it up then hit the brakes relatively hard. No squealing for months. Now it's coming back. I was told once upon a time that the squealing was from brake dust that has built up. Take it for what it's worth. At the very least, if you follow my instructions, you get to go out on the interstate and open it up!
So I just picked up the car but have not had a chance to get it out on the road. I'll have to look at other threads about possibly bedding the brakes now. Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I swapped mine out to powerstop rotors and Akebono pads... annnddd they're squealing after a month -_-

Reactions: fpc1457

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I was getting the horrendous shriek from the rears 7k after every copper paste application from the dealer. I was able to get the updated insulators + copper paste just before the warranty was up and it's been good for 24k miles.

If you're just hearing slight squeal, that's normal for Brembos.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I swapped mine out to powerstop rotors and Akebono pads... annnddd they're squealing after a month -_-
I had this same combination last fall and even with the copper molykote, it became a very noisy pairing. Switching to the Powerstop Z26 pads made a major improvement paired with their rotors...and after following their bed-in procedure. Still a small amount of squeal from the rears on slight brake pressure stopping and for a couple of initial stops, especially when cold/wet.

I was getting the horrendous shriek from the rears 7k after every copper paste application from the dealer. I was able to get the updated insulators + copper paste just before the warranty was up and it's been good for 24k miles.

If you're just hearing slight squeal, that's normal for Brembos.
Hoping the revised rear shims/insulators currently on order will help improve the rear as you've experienced Mike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2017 and they started squealing just a bit probably around 15K. I gave them a HARD stop or two and it went away and never came back. I recently had the pads changed with OEM at around 29K. Had a buddy that is an ex-mechanic do them. The rears came with shims. Both came with the grease. We use the shims and did the grease, so far no squeal. Am I just lucky, or did something change in 2017 models?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, so already getting squealing. I'm not equipped or able to try and add the paste/shims. Wondering how much it might cost to have the dealer do the service bulletin since I am out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
5,714 Posts
My 17 has 41500 rears squeal backing out of garage last 5000 miles probably need new pads spring early summer GM pads from Rock Auto are in dining room floor awaiting wear indicators telling me it's time. Rotors will be at next pad change if it ain't broke leave it be they measured good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts