Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Part of the trouble is that Laguna Seca is a publicly owned park and beholden to the local tax payers and park regulations. Unfortunately this relationship means that the park system keeps them afloat but also holds them back from being a truly great experience. Many private investors have tried to buy them, but it never pans out. The politics around Laguna Seca is totally mind numbing. I know enough folks to have worked there ( I almost did) and had some "3 beer conversations" with enough SCRAMP board members to know that it's a pretty unfortunate cycle they are trapped in.
100% correct, County of Monterey owns the land and leases it to SCRAMP. The combination of county and state regulations on public land being leased is what restricts many of the updates SCRAMP has proposed over the years. I remember when the track was reconfigured, it took years and an act of god. Old config was good, new config is better especially for fans. When I stopped driving I was asked to join SCRAMP. Problem was the time commitment and the politics - both I would be a bit too vocal about.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I signed up and will be down there Sunday and Monday over Memorial weekend for an NCRC event. Looking forward to getting two days on such a famous track, and the road trip getting there. I’m not sure how many video game laps I have on Laguna Seca over the years, but I’m excited to drive the real thing.

Hopefully I don’t need any innovative exhaust mods, @Clutchfoot.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Good for you Bento!!! I hope you have a rip-roaring blast of a time!! Take lots a of pictures, be safe, and above all have fun!!! That's one heckuva track to say the least!

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Enjoy the trip, almost always warm on Memorial Day weekend.

Make sure after you check out the Monterey wharf and Cannery Row that you head south on Ocean View Rd through Asilomar and then on to 17 Mile Drive in Carmel. Portions of 17 Mile Drive were the original Monterey road course until 1957 when Laguna opened. It's a nice drive and some of the best sights on the central coast.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Well, I signed up and will be down there Sunday and Monday over Memorial weekend for an NCRC event. Looking forward to getting two days on such a famous track, and the road trip getting there. I’m not sure how many video game laps I have on Laguna Seca over the years, but I’m excited to drive the real thing.

Hopefully I don’t need any innovative exhaust mods, @Clutchfoot.
Maybe I'll cruise by Sunday and see how you do.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Part of the trouble is that Laguna Seca is a publicly owned park and beholden to the local tax payers and park regulations. Unfortunately this relationship means that the park system keeps them afloat but also holds them back from being a truly great experience. Many private investors have tried to buy them, but it never pans out. The politics around Laguna Seca is totally mind numbing. I know enough folks to have worked there ( I almost did) and had some "3 beer conversations" with enough SCRAMP board members to know that it's a pretty unfortunate cycle they are trapped in.
I was lucky enough to catch a MotoGP race there several years ago before they stopped. You think your car is loud? Those motor cycles are up there with NASCAR in terms of sound. We knew it was on borrowed time back then. Surprised it is still open. Enjoy it while you can.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I was lucky enough to catch a MotoGP race there several years ago before they stopped. You think your car is loud? Those motor cycles are up there with NASCAR in terms of sound. We knew it was on borrowed time back then. Surprised it is still open. Enjoy it while you can.
I also used to got Moto GP. I was at the Corkscrew when Rossi passed Stoner on the dirt. It was the loudest I've ever heard the crowd cheer. Rossi came around on the victory lap and stopped at the corkscrew and kissed the ground.

Here's a clip of the battle, it was a sight to behold.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Enjoy the trip, almost always warm on Memorial Day weekend.

Make sure after you check out the Monterey wharf and Cannery Row that you head south on Ocean View Rd through Asilomar and then on to 17 Mile Drive in Carmel. Portions of 17 Mile Drive were the original Monterey road course until 1957 when Laguna opened. It's a nice drive and some of the best sights on the central coast.
Thanks for the tips, Russ. I hope to have Saturday free to relax and explore. Haven’t spent much time in the South Bay Area and none in Monterrey.

Maybe I'll cruise by Sunday and see how you do.
Please do!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I’ll be on track tomorrow and Monday, but stopped by today to check out the track.

And my near twin was running with Hooked On Driving today.

Anyone on here? Didn’t stick around long enough to catch the owner in person or running on track.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What a fun track! Today was my first experience running in a group that allowed passing anywhere on the track. Definitely adds an extra challenge but I picked it up pretty quickly. Looking forward to tomorrow for day 2.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just got home. That’s a lot of driving, but worth it.

I bought the photos from the on site photographer and took some crappy iPhone video. Will get the video edited down a bit and sort through the photos for a few to share.

Thanks everyone that chimed in and said not to worry about the sound restriction. It was a non-issue.

Oh, and Matt Farrah was there testing a Lotus Evora 400 in the open group on Monday. Got to chat with him a bit. Nice guy.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Thanks for the video Bento! I watched every minute. Such a treat; and what are the odds another SS is there the same time you are? Too much. I saw the pics in the Heron White Thread too. Very cool! Thanks again for sharing and I hope you had the time of your life.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts