Chevy SS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
There’s carbon fiber everywhere (personally could care less for CF) and the Cue system and temp controls are all buttonless. So... unless you utilize the steering wheel controls you leave smudges/fingerprints everywhere. I miss the buttons/dials! But, in the end admittedly it does look nicer. Recaro seats are presumably great if you’re tracking, but for DD use opt for the base seats.
Here’s a pic of the siblings all cleaned up.
Congratulations on your awesome ATS-V.
I would have gladly bought the ATS-V myself, if GM had used the LT4, or even the LS7, instead. :frown

Unfortunately, the ATS-V is a constant reminder of how the Camaro team destroyed the Alpha chassis.:frown
The entire Camaro design team, and the 6th Generation Camaro, needs to be terminated, and replaced, ASAP. :soapbox:

·
Banned
52 Posts
This is what makes the SS so awesome: practical, fun, stealthy, and outside of online comment sections virtually no baggage to deal with.
Agreed. That's why I daily drive my SS.
Explain this baggage you speak of?

Was the visibility any better in the the 5th gen? Perhaps marginally so, but as a weekend toy aren't those shortcomings that are easier to live with?
The visibility of Both the 5th and 6th gen Camaro make them unacceptable for public roads. The visibility of my C6 is completely incredible when compared to the 5th and 6th gen.

The SS Sedan exposes the 5th Gen Camaro as the failure it is when you think about the fact that they use the same chassis. The 6th Gen visibility is a disgrace and the entire Camaro design team should be terminated due to their stupidity and arrogance. The rev matching stick is the only thing I miss about my 6th Gem Camaro SS.

Bottom line: The Camaro shouldn't even be in the running as a weekend toy, especially when compared to the Corvette and SS Sedan.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I sold my '16 SS (SLIHRM/Auto/Sun Roof/Spare) in December of '16. It's the shortest length of time that I've ever owned a car. Thank God I bought it during the 20% off sale and got a little extra love on top of that or I'd have been screwed.

We rescued a dog in October or 2016 that turned out to be Lab/Great Dane instead of Lab/Hound as advertised. So my wife wanted to get back into a SUV to make it easier to haul him around. I chose to trade my SS instead of her '13 Charger R/T because while I "liked" the SS, I didn't "love" it. The high-side of the transmission broke at less than 4,000 miles and before 8,000 miles the rearview camera was having intermittent problems. Add in that the bluetooth system was the wonkiest I've ever used and it added up to being expendable. Plus, I had already experienced some of the parts issues with a pair of '05 GTO's that I owned and a friend's issues with an '06 GTO.

So .... my wife got a '17 Durango R/T and I drove her '13 Charger R/T for a year while I looked around. In December 2017, I found a '15 Challenger SRT (B5 Blue / M6 / Sun Roof / No Spare) with only 1,300 miles on it.

BTW .... if GM resurrected Pontiac and brought back the G8 GXP, I'd give it strong consideration.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
I sold my '16 SS (SLIHRM/Auto/Sun Roof/Spare) in December of '16. It's the shortest length of time that I've ever owned a car. Thank God I bought it during the 20% off sale and got a little extra love on top of that or I'd have been screwed.

We rescued a dog in October or 2016 that turned out to be Lab/Great Dane instead of Lab/Hound as advertised. So my wife wanted to get back into a SUV to make it easier to haul him around. I chose to trade my SS instead of her '13 Charger R/T because while I "liked" the SS, I didn't "love" it. The high-side of the transmission broke at less than 4,000 miles and before 8,000 miles the rearview camera was having intermittent problems. Add in that the bluetooth system was the wonkiest I've ever used and it added up to being expendable. Plus, I had already experienced some of the parts issues with a pair of '05 GTO's that I owned and a friend's issues with an '06 GTO.

So .... my wife got a '17 Durango R/T and I drove her '13 Charger R/T for a year while I looked around. In December 2017, I found a '15 Challenger SRT (B5 Blue / M6 / Sun Roof / No Spare) with only 1,300 miles on it.

BTW .... if GM resurrected Pontiac and brought back the G8 GXP, I'd give it strong consideration.
This makes ZERO sense.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
740 Posts
Reactions: Raid

·
Registered
679 Posts
I really do not want to sell mine but at time I do wonder about purchasing a weekend toy like a Porsche Turbo Convertible and a 1/2 ton truck for daily application.
I have always wanted to own a German car with a very solid tradition and great support organization for owners.

Time will tell... in perfect world I would like to own both.... but that will upset my sweet half and place her Explorer outside the garage :)

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Time will tell... in perfect world I would like to own both.... but that will upset my sweet half and place her Explorer outside the garage :)
Haha, I got into that debacle with the GF. She thought she deserved the spot in the garage with her car (2010 Ford Escape) when I had my SS. So, I kept the garage dirty and constantly washed the SS to avoid an argument. Once I got the Corvette though, I had cleaned out the garage and had that in there in two hours. Doing the same when I get our overlanding trailer in for the other half of the garage :D

As far as car advice, a 911 Turbo is a great car and worth going for. That is in another league than the vehicles purchased or mentioned in this thread (even if it's used). I want to get into a Porsche some day, even thought about a Cayman/Boxster GTS this go around but couldn't give up the amount of performance the Vette offered (plus the Porsche premium).

·
Registered
167 Posts
This makes ZERO sense.

What can I say, the G8 styling might be enough for me to overlook other issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dodge fanboy, that's why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually,,,,I was mainly a Pontiac owner from 1975 till 2013. So, yes, I’d consider another if they were still around.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What can I say, the G8 styling might be enough for me to overlook other issues.

Actually,,,,I was mainly a Pontiac owner from 1975 till 2013. So, yes, I’d consider another if they were still around.

Their point was the G8 was VE Commodore, and the SS was a VF Commodore. Both Commodores, but the SS is newer, and generally all around better.

I've owned both, the G8 is more raw, the SS is more refined.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wizard had some issues with the car and the car didn’t do it for him, no biggie. That is the point of this thread, right? And give him a break, with so many Dodges he may be dealing with some other issues... ;-)

Reactions: willy92

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just saw the thread, great question.

Bought my SS in March of '16 (is a 2015 model). Have thoroughly enjoyed it and have upgraded per signature line. It is super fun as a daily driver but I am waiting on my GMC Sierra to arrive and selling this some time in the next 60-90 days.

Reasons:
After adding all the accouterments, I am a spot where I want to add more, but can't justify as a daily driver. I can't afford to move to my toy right now.
If I'm going to just build a toy, it would be an older vehicle that I have more latitude to play with (i.e, a beater that I can recover and build from the frame up over the longer term - it's about the journey not the destination)
Family situation of finishing basement, need to tow and move some things around, etc means a truck would be better than continuing to borrow trucks.
Potholes were terrible this winter, blew two left tires. Do not want to run in to this winter stressed just driving. I ended up frustrated this winter always trying to spot potholes, couldn't "just drive".
Car just rolled to 40k miles, seems a good point to trade it in.
Some of the other posts noted, a rolling stone gathers no moss, I'm ready for change.

Reactions: AnywhereInTX

·
Banned
52 Posts

That is the worst decision, and the absolute dumbest post, I remember reading on this forum.
Enjoy your overweight garbage from FCA, and whatever FCA forum you will be moving to instead of posting here anymore.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wizard had some issues with the car and the car didn’t do it for him, no biggie. That is the point of this thread, right? And give him a break, with so many Dodges he may be dealing with some other issues... ;-)

Thank you for understanding my comments. I truly was just giving an honest answer as to why i traded my SS.

And yes, my Challenger had to have the two-piece brake rotors re-torqued at about 5,000 miles to eliminate an annoying clicking noise and its water pump was replaced under warranty at about 17,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
that is the worst decision, and the absolute dumbest post, i remember reading on this forum.
Enjoy your overweight garbage from fca, and whatever fca forum you will be moving to instead of posting here anymore.
Fail.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I agree.
Trading in an extremely rare and incredible performing SS Sedan that is irreplaceable,
for a dime-a-dozen overweight FCA brick, is a complete FAIL.
Enjoy your SS, truly enjoy it. It is a great performing sports sedan that will be one of the last of it's type. I loved mine, daily drove it, modified it heavily than most, and raced it.

The question was asked why people traded-in/sold their SS's, so many of us who have are chiming in.

The SS is replaceable though...maybe not with a GM sourced product, but it is replaceable. Hellcats are more readily available, but they aren't a dime a dozen. I suggest that at some point you get in one for a test ride/drive, they are truly fun vehicles that offer a different level of fun than what is found in the SS. Each one is quite different too (Hellcat, Hellcat Redeye, and Demon [I can only assume on the demon because I haven't been in one of those yet]) on the track, dragstrip, and the road.

Unpopular fact, the SS will probably not be as valuable of a collector car in the future as the Hellcat Challenger. 4 door sedans have yet to hold their value like two door coupes in auctions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw the parts availability problems with friends that had a SSR and G8s, both of which were double the production of the SS. I was not going to risk it 6-8 years from now and was not going to have a parts car on my lawn next to my house. I might be wrong but I didn't want to be right either. It was my dream car for many years before I bought it in November of 17 with the 20% of sale and when I traded it in I made money over the purchase price. My wife wouldn't drive it and it sat in the garage when it snowed or rained. I couldn't wrap my head around $580 a month for the next 72 months just sitting there.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Hellcats are more readily available, but they aren't a dime a dozen. I suggest that at some point you get in one for a test ride/drive
I have.
Ridiculously overweight and overpriced.
Drives like a brick.
No Thank You.

Unpopular fact, the SS will probably not be as valuable of a collector car in the future as the Hellcat Challenger.
I don't care what some stranger thinks my SS is worth. It's irreplaceable and I'm never selling it.
But, I'll take that bet that the SS will hold it's value better than it's FCA brick counterpart.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts