Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious the motivation for those selling or thinking about selling their SS's

Reactions: Raid

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,666 Posts
Yeah, I wanna know, too!

Reactions: Magnum Wheel Man

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
^^^Right, but maybe as this thread ages it will capture future seller opinions?

It is an interesting question, though I think there was a long thread a couple years ago that asked a different question (why so many low mileage used units for sale) but those answers could apply to this question.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I'll eventually move on at some point. When i do, expect a very long and thorough write up and long term review explaining what i liked and didn't and why moved on to something else. Spoiler alert: It's gonna mostly be about my personal circumstances and priorities changing in life than deficiencies in the car.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Some people needed the money or wanted something better or traded down, put a lot of miles on it and were done with it or were worried about parts availability in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I am still here. I had a heavily modified Chevy SS that I loved. The LSA was a great update and with a built engine I felt like it would survive any abuse I was willing to throw at it. The car was great and suited my needs for when I bought it on Hawaii.

Now, I am back mainland and I have a crew cab truck again. There was no need for a 4 door sports sedan anymore and I can afford to have a pure sports car. So, I sold it to a willing buyer and picked up a barely used C7 3LT Z51 Vette.

Other reasons I sold:
- I had pretty much done everything I could to the car. Wheels, body, power, etc. The only way to go crazier was to boost it to over 1000 HP+. I wasn't willing (nor my wallet) to go that route.
- I have watched my friends with GTOs and G8s have trouble getting parts for their cars due to Pontiac being axed. With Holden closing and parts coming from Australia...the price to keep one of these going will go up exponentially over time. I saw it with my NSX and I sold it for the same reason.

MOST IMPORTANT: Variety is much more fun than sitting on one car for a long period of time.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,647 Posts
While I was waiting for my SS to arrive, I was in a showroom sitting in a Carbon Vette, and I was very tempted! Had I known that I would go hog-wild on mods, I would have just purchased the Vette. That boat has sailed so the SS is a keeper'.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm going to sell in the next few months.. changed jobs/moved and now the reason i bought the car(to commute in my wife TDI) no longer stands as i am less than 4 miles and can cycle to work in the good weather. its not as tough a decision as i thought, the plan before was to sell the S2K and keep the SS, now we'll keep the honda

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
We share this philosophy brother. Though we are no doubt the the outliers on this forum.
Without a doubt. I should be at the Cars and Coffee at Laguna Seca this weekend. Hopefully I'll see the SS and you there.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
MOST IMPORTANT: Variety is much more fun than sitting on one car for a long period of time.
I definitely appreciate this point of view 100% but.... it ain't me. I get attached to my cars and would rather have the same one for 10 years, and know every square inch, nuance, oddity, etc....

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
I dunno what I'm gonna do...
I'm getting a kick out of this car every time I drive it. Never gets old.

In my earlier years I tended to be more like 16PB6MT. Heck, I kept an '86 SAAB 900 Turbo (only car I ever bought new) for 14 years and 207k.

In more recent times, probably being more "subconscious" of the runway getting shorter, I seem to gravitate more to AnywhereInTX's way, with an average life-cycle of 2-3 years in my stewardship.
Late 2015, after a very long search, I bought a truly pristine 2006 M3 (E46) with less than 20k. I was more excited about it than any car in memory and intended to keep it until they're coming to take me (or it) away haha.
Barely 2 years into this bliss I test drove a VF and it was all over.

Reality is stranger than fiction. So I'm making no promises.

·
Registered
2015 Silver/ Stock
167 Posts
I purchased mine at the same chevy dealership that the original owner traded for a Tahoe. I was told his family was getting larger and wife suggested a more practical vehicle. So when I found the 2015 SS in April of 2019 it had 12k miles on it. I'm too old for variety anymore planning to keep it unless some life changing moment happens. Good to know that it hold its value well.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I have a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with 6-speed manual and an Edelbrock E-force so that scratches my itch for a fast, manual trans car.

I don't think any car maker will ever make a car like the SS ever again. Holden is gone. Pontiac is gone. Big, rear-wheel drive, V8 powered cars just aren't made much anymore and definitely not ones that are as nice in so many areas like the SS.

It just seems to be that getting rid of you SS and switching to most any other car is a massive downgrade.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I love my SS and it was a very emotional and fulfilling accomplishment to not only get one but get one with the color and options and acceptable mileage I wanted. It's tunable, reliable and has a cool story to it. With that said, its a lot of old tech. A Honda Accord has more features now. Also, I refuse to drive it in the snow and I don't want to have to wait for parts forever in a few years-or not find them at all when the time comes for overhauling. And there are plenty of cars the road that get better gas mileage.
She's going away but the looks you get on the road are addictive. She is for sale here now. But I'm not in a rush.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had wanted this car ever since it was a G8 GXP, and I missed out on one of those because I looked too early, then looked too late... they were all gone. When the SS got a manual in '15 I looked at them again but just couldn't afford it. Finally in '17 I realized this would be my last chance to get one... and I did it.

Now, having said all that... I work from home so in 2 years I've put on less than 9k miles. I have 3 other toys (in sig) that I usually end up taking out when the weather is nice... so the SS has become, dare i say, an everyday grocery-getter & commuter.

So whenever we start talking about finishing the basement, building a porch, a hot tub, or just the expense of having a family, I consider that I could sell the SS and get a "regular" everyday car rather than sell one of the toys. But it's tough for me to do, so I end up only wanting a ridiculous amount for it. And I did that once before when i traded my '12 Regal GS for a GLI to save some money... I ended up hating the GLI and regretting getting rid of the Buick (yes I just said that). So i know what it feels like AFTER you get rid of it and that's whats helping me hold on to it. Plus, this is such a unique car and there's literally nothing even close to it that I am interested in.

TLDR; I know I would regret selling it even though it might make sense to do so.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts