Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2014 SS with 5k last year for 30k. I just got an offer from the dealer that sold me the car for $35000 without having to buy anything. What is driving up SS prices?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
We purchased a 2014 SS with 5k last year for 30k. I just got an offer from the dealer that sold me the car for $35000 without having to buy anything. What is driving up SS prices?
Demand, pure and simple.
The reason for the demand is what is probably somewhat varied, although certainly not surprising.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah it's all about supply and demand our prices for just this year alone is 15% higher than last year on auction and purchase prices of all category of vehicles. I finally got a job at the very dealership I bought both of my SS from as a ferry driver.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
EVERYTHING used is UP. Thank COVID. New car production is way down so people don't have a choice but to buy used and keep what they have which means there are also less used cars out there than typical with more buyers so that means prices go up. Now is not a good time to buy if you don't need to.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Used car prices are up.

What dealer? My wife wants to sell her 24k mile 2017. :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I just noticed a rather odd dynamic which I've never seen before when looking at my car's value on the KBB website. For some strange reason, the trade-in value is very close to the private party sale value; only $600 difference. Typically, the trade-in value is significantly lower than private party, at least by thousands of dollars. The suggested "ranges" of the two sales type have enormous overlap. So much so, in fact, that a good trade-in price could easily exceed a poor private sale price by thousands. THAT is quite unusual !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Because of people like me that will pay. Somehow I missed the 20% off sale 3-4 years ago. A few auctions on bring a trailer wetted my appetite which led me to scouring website listing. Finally found my car in Texas which I purchased in late January for $46k. I bet dealer bought it for $8k less. Anyway, demand is strong leading to high prices. Looks like low mileage clean MT sell for $46-47; I do not think the market has hit $50k yet--but it is coming.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
There are two manuals listed within an hour of me for $49k. A 2017 with 21k miles is pending sale, but the 2016 with 40k miles is still shown. $50k isn't far away on the manuals right now.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ugh. Having a daily driver that is actually appreciating in value is tough on the psyche. Fear of damage and dumbass drivers, fear of wear and tear, fear of miles ticking away on the odometer.

But I’m determined to drive and enjoy it. I don’t really need the money anyway.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
The other huge elephant in the room that I am surprised no one has mentioned thus far is the coming push for electrification for the transportation sector, which IS coming. One of the reasons I bought my SS when I did is because I can see the writing on the wall, and realized that this may be the last chance I have to own and drive the car of my dreams. Mine is my daily driver and getting on up there in miles, but I plan to keep her as long as I can for that reason. There isn't anything else that comes close on the market, and probably never will be again.

·
Registered
72 GS455 (sold) 67 427 Fairlane(totaled) 05 GTO (sold)
38 Posts
I dunno-my 15 manual with 29000 miles has been up for over a week and I just reduced the price again to 41,500-has one new rear mag ride shock on it and another in a box in the trunk that go with it. excellent, garaged, includes a 450.00 cover-no interest here or online. everyone hates silver ice metallic? doesn't matter much, I needed the $$ for medical bills but I am working out other sources so its all good for me

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I dunno-my 15 manual with 29000 miles has been up for over a week and I just reduced the price again to 41,500-has one new rear mag ride shock on it and another in a box in the trunk that go with it. excellent, garaged, includes a 450.00 cover-no interest here or online. everyone hates silver ice metallic? doesn't matter much, I needed the $$ for medical bills but I am working out other sources so its all good for me
If you end up having to take on offer from a dealer, I would suggest you pull all those extras out of the deal and then sell them here separately.
$.02

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,473 Posts
I hope your medical situation works out...I've been down that road.

Reactions: iratollah

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
It seems recent private sales have been trending that direction. I had my 45k mile car for sale for $35.5k and couldn't get any real interest, so I decided to keep it. That said, Carvana gave me a $31k offer, which I thought was VERY strong for a third party. Not enough to pry it out of my hands though. My best guess is these will continue to appreciate as long as there are no other domestic 4-door models manufactured that are N/A, big hp cars with rwd, manual option, cheap (relatively) to maintain and easy to work on. It checks a lot of the used car enthusiast "boxes," and those are the folks who pay top dollar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems recent private sales have been trending that direction. I had my 45k mile car for sale for $35.5k and couldn't get any real interest, so I decided to keep it. That said, Carvana gave me a $31k offer, which I thought was VERY strong for a third party. No enough to pry it out of my hands though. My best guess is these will continue to appreciate as long as there are no other domestic 4-door models manufactured that are N/A, big hp cars with rwd, manual option, cheap (relatively) to maintain and easy to work on. It checks a lot of the used car enthusiast "boxes," and those are the folks who pay top dollar.
Well put. The only thing new that could be compared IMO is a 392 charger. Once you option out a 392 to be on a level playing field with all the items the SS has STANDARD, it gets up there. I cross shopped one until I had a single experience at a dealer then sought an SS. I was actually inches from buying trackrat's car until a 6spd car popped up and I couldn't say no. As for a manual car? There is literally nothing else like it, or will be to come IMO. This car brings me back to my fbody days just with 2 more doors and carseats.

-J

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The other huge elephant in the room that I am surprised no one has mentioned thus far is the coming push for electrification for the transportation sector, which IS coming. One of the reasons I bought my SS when I did is because I can see the writing on the wall, and realized that this may be the last chance I have to own and drive the car of my dreams. Mine is my daily driver and getting on up there in miles, but I plan to keep her as long as I can for that reason. There isn't anything else that comes close on the market, and probably never will be again.
That is true also and probably does help cars like ours even in a market that is already up. I'm still hoping another alternative fuel has a breakthrough soon like hydrogen. I don't like electric cars and I don't know very many people who are dying to buy one. Where it goes from here is kind of scary to me because it seems like they will have to be forced upon us and it doesn't look like the masses really want them and I also don't understand where the power is going to come from to charge all of them. This isn't the first electric car push in history so it'll be interesting to a degree to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yeah this is why somehow I'm going to have to figure out how to get that 6 speed ZL1 before the Camaro goes out to pasture again in either '23 or '26 depending on rumors.

Reactions: stage1scott
1 - 20 of 50 Posts