Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I do not have an SS I have been going back and forth between a G8 GT or the SS. But I see so many SS for sale now like is there something wrong or people just don't like them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do not think there are too many for sale. I just ran a search on CarGurus and it shows 202 nationwide which is just under 2% of the total number that were built I believe. Anyhow, I think people just have priorities change or different needs. Additionally, some people bought the vehicle when GM offered 20% off so they got a hell of a deal and drove it around and are now able to sell it for what they paid or more. I have had no problems with my vehicle and I am sure most people still love them. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not think there are too many for sale. I just ran a search on CarGurus and it shows 202 nationwide which is just under 2% of the total number that were built I believe. Anyhow, I think people just have priorities change or different needs. Additionally, some people bought the vehicle when GM offered 20% off so they got a hell of a deal and drove it around and are now able to sell it for what they paid or more. I have had no problems with my vehicle and I am sure most people still love them. Just my 2 cents.
Okay I do remember people buying them when they were on sale. I'm on the fence about the SS and G8

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Okay I do remember people buying them when they were on sale. I'm on the fence about the SS and G8
I have mixed emotions about this. I think the SS is a higher quality vehicle, newer tech, and I love mine. However, the G8 appeals to the Pontiac lover in me and it's much less expensive out of the gate which leaves a lot more $ for speed equipment!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have mixed emotions about this. I think the SS is a higher quality vehicle, newer tech, and I love mine. However, the G8 appeals to the Pontiac lover in me and it's much less expensive out of the gate which leaves a lot more $ for speed equipment!
i agree, i just need to test drive a SS then go from there because i know i love the G8

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have owned both, the SS is a much nicer car. If you are looking for all out performance with lots of upgrades I dont think it matters which one you pick, 6.0 vs 6.2 after a slew or upgrades is negligible. If you want a family sports sedan that you daily the SS makes more sense IMO.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
When they had that 20% off sale, I knew this would happen, because so many people bought the car simply because of that, the savings, so, in my mind they bought it for the savings and not the car. Now, they are selling them for equal money or a profit. Making money is quite the motivator.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
The answer is quite simple really!!! Get one of EACH!!! Thats what my son and I did!!! I got the SS,,, and he got a G8 GT!!! We love them both!! They each have their differences and at the end of the day,, they are both incredible vehicles. I love the overall road manners of the G8!! It handles very much like my SS,, BUT with the old school shock/spring, and hydraulic steering it gives a more "classic" feel to the feedback. I love the looks of the G8 too!!! Who wants to drive the same look that a gazillion others have (Dodge's, Mustangs,,,,)!!

There really is NO wrong answer to that dilemma!!!! Good Luck!!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I can't believe this thread is only 4 hours old, I thought it might be the one of the other ones with the same title from 1-4 years ago.
Why is there concern with the number of SS's on the market? These are niche cars which makes them hard to value, so you have sellers trying for a top price and buyers looking to buy at a bargain price. Plus, you have those owners that are skurd of some fantasy parts shortage or HP envy of FCA product, its a dynamic market. Buy what you want and ignore all the noise.

·
Registered
977 Posts
i agree, i just need to test drive a SS then go from there because i know i love the G8
If you love the G8 you'll love the SS more. The SS is a much better car in all aspects, the only thing the G8 has in my opinion is the price advantage.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Those of us who bought them new in 2014 and 2015 are already up to 4-5 years of ownership, and some owners might be ready for something else. Not me!

Looks like only 10 manuals on nationwide cargurus and some of those might not really be manual (I didn't check each one).

·
Registered
787 Posts
SS is much newer, much more tech inside and out. G8 feels more raw, and you get more of that feel through the but and the steering wheel. While the SS was fun to drive, the G8 just "felt" more fun, despite some of the older tech.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I’ve owned both, they are each great cars in their own way. If I’d had the garage room I would have kept my G8 when I got the SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had G8 GXP and it was an awesome car but much prefer the updated interior and better handling of the SS. I miss how unique the GXP was.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
My take..... call it the 5 year itch. Many people have had their SS's for 3-6 years and are now looking for a change. I used to do this myself, every few years I wanted a new ride with the latest widgets, my needs or taste changed. Used to drive my wife crazy. "How come you need new car when I've had mine for last 20 years?" Simple, I like cars but to her they are simply transportation.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I sold my SS because of parts/service concerns.

if people have a 2nd mode of transport i couldnt see anybody getting rid of these cars... but to each his own.

ppp

·
Registered
937 Posts
When they had that 20% off sale, I knew this would happen, because so many people bought the car simply because of that, the savings, so, in my mind they bought it for the savings and not the car. Now, they are selling them for equal money or a profit. Making money is quite the motivator.
This. Some people simply want a new car every 3 years or don't want to own anything out of warranty. If you're not owning an SS to scratch a performance itch and are apathetic about it, it's hard to turn down selling a car 3 years later for maybe only 5K less then you bought it for. Or perhaps if it was a manual car bought at 20% off, you may get darn close to sticker if the miles are fairly low.

I'm just over 3 years in and can't foresee getting rid of it anytime soon (I still have the '01 Fbody I bought new, so if I like something I stick with it), part because it's such an enjoyable drive and part because there's really no replacement out there brand new, nor do I ever see GM making another. Even just went and leased a Colorado for a winter beater so I can avoid some of the salt baths to prolong its lifespan.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hello everyone I do not have an SS I have been going back and forth between a G8 GT or the SS. But I see so many SS for sale now like is there something wrong or people just don't like them.
If you want a manual you are limited to a GXP. I believe there are fewer of those than there are of manual SS's.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts