1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock rear bar is ~25mm

Code mcm15 for 15% off & free shipping

GovX members get military discount

Nothing in this for me, and I don't mean to run afoul of current rules/advertiser support commitments. Just passing information.

Questions - I'll help if I can, Whiteline US has a chat link.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,731 Posts
Thanks for posting the info.
The weblink is a tad confusing. Initially, it shows 2015, but when I drill down, it includes 2017. Moreover, I would like to know if this bar will interfere with the full-size spare wheel tub. If it does, would it be a minor shave-off adjustment or a cut-through mod that may restrict wheel storage.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Dan, this bar is configured like the stock 15-17 bar, with proper clearance for the spare wheel tub.
Sounds good enough for me, so I clicked the mouse.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dan,
The combo front rear kit is VERY pricey, for some reason - I'm not sure how that plays out vs buying individually. Back about 8 years ago, I managed to catch up with Peter Basica, who, at that time, was the Pedders USA importer. He's moved on to other things, but his one comment was "fit as big a bar as you can find in the rear".....and don't worry about the front. Not to dissuade you - there IS a SuperPro kit, which is nice, lower cost, but may have an issue with the rear clamp & bushing. dz28 is working on that now. Just like Whiteline, it's a 30F/27R, but rear is adjustable, where the Whiteline (rear) is not.

VF gets a 26mm front bar standard, and I've seen 29 & 30mm options, but as a matter of the comments above, and the ability to purchase the bars individually - and apparently for lower cost - I think you should go for the larger rear bar first and see how it changes the balance of the car. I have no idea if MRC shock calibration, and/or IF alternate springs are being used, that either would be impacted by a bar change, but with Stabilitrak, the yaw sensor will see a different relationship between steering input & roll characteristics - not necessarily positive or negative, just not the same as with all-stock components.

The correct Whiteline combo kit would be their BHK012 - adjustable front & fixed rear is the only option offered. For some reason, buying the bars & links individually appears to be lower cost.

Individual bars for 15-17 sedan (rear clears spare tire tub) - total of 3 items is $739

$373 - no links, 30mm adjustable (F)

$143 - links, adjustable (F)

$223.04 - no links, 27mm, non-adjustable (R)

Front/rear kit for 15-17 sedan - adjustable front links, re-uses OEM rear links
Front and Rear Sway Bar - Vehicle Kit
$866

Rate increase chart shows a move from 25mm to 27mm is a 36% increase in rear torsional resistance. That's not excessive to demand use of a corresponding larger front bar, especially if you up-size front tires to 255/40-19 or another size that fits that is larger than stock.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Another version of the bar chart - impact of change in size and adjustability options
Another version of the bar chart - impact of change in size and adjustability options
Good information as always. Considering what you learned from Pete Bascia's comment to go 'big' on the rear, I figure the non-adjustable bar was a low-risk purchase. I am running 255/40 19x9 +44 in the (front) and 285/35 19x9.5 +48 on the (rear) with no desire to lower the height. I almost added the front 30mm front bar (BHF62XZ), but after reading your post, I held off.

Reactions: Navy Lifer

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless a car is used as a track weapon regularly, an adjustability feature is very likely of limited use. Nice as a selling feature, but not too often employed.

And by the way, the prices posted above were "list", before 15% discount.

·
Registered
281 Posts
great info, thanks for sharing! I may also look into the rear bar

·
Registered
281 Posts
I wound up buying the rear bar; thank you for that; supposed to arrive today. I have my rear mag ride out to change to King SL springs so decided a great time to do it. However even with the rear springs out I thought I could maneuver and slide the rear sway bar out....nope. I guess I have to undo the rear exhaust.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I recall dropping the exhaust was essential - did not remove it, just let it droop, but be careful to avoid any damage damage further forward.
yeah, I'll loosen the links that attach the mufflers to the main system, hopefully pulling down enough on the muffler side will give me the space needed, and not mess with anything forward of that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I recall dropping the exhaust was essential - did not remove it, just let it droop, but be careful to avoid any damage damage further forward.
Also, NavyLifer; in another thread I saw your recommend replacing the rear end links with either OEM or the MOOG K700542. I haven't gotten either, but I see I can get the MOOG's from Amazon for $11 each. Do you still think the MOOG's are a good alternative? Thank you

Reactions: SaberOne

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Also, NavyLifer; in another thread I saw your recommend replacing the rear end links with either OEM or the MOOG K700542. I haven't gotten either, but I see I can get the MOOG's from Amazon for $11 each. Do you still think the MOOG's are a good alternative? Thank you
I just ordered a couple from Rock Auto for $8.13 each from a link provided by Navy Lifer.

More Information for MOOG K700542

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just ordered a couple from Rock Auto for $8.13 each from a link provided by Navy Lifer.

More Information for MOOG K700542
I wound up order the same from Amazon last night as I need them by Friday; so I'll take that with free shipping, haha. I need to get these new springs and sway bar done this weekend or my wife will have my head :)

Reactions: SaberOne

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you still think the MOOG's are a good alternative?
I think they'll do fine - the re-design of the bar & link setup, copied from 1LE Camaro (from 2012) and adopted on 2015 SS sedan, is a simple straight push-pull setup, and more robust than the older style links options.

Curious why your wife would want to have your head......!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I put the rear bar only on my car and did not notice much of a difference at stock height. I’m running 275/35 front tires and 285/35 rear tires so that may play a part in it. I’m hoping it makes a bigger difference lowered but we’ll see when I get my Shockworks back from being revalved if Covid will give Australia a break.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
my darn sway bar is stuck in Portland for the 3rd day now; I had to call FedEx to file a report. I needed this yesterday to get the car on the road by Saturday darn it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Question please: I’m getting ready to install the end links. I see in the instructions to install them at curb height. Should I install them when the car is back on the ground? New to installing suspension items. Thank you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts