Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for fellow SS owners and car enthusiasts: Can supercharger lids be mixed with supercharger kits?

I have a 2015 with 2.9 Whipple kit installed tuned at 500 whp. Despite the conservative set up, I find my self in a pickle! I have a lid bearing issue which is making me think about options.

With the cooling and fuel system (injectors, pump, tune) holding strong, would there be any reason why I could or should not experiment with different blowers?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, support, or even criticism.

- Brad
2015 6MT
Roof and spare
White (wrapped over black)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whipple does not have a lid like the factory LSA's do. So no you can't mix them on the Whipple.
If it's a bearing that's failing I would contact Whipple and see what the cost of a rebuild is with new bearings.
Are you are unhappy with the Whipple? Look around for a different setup is an option but will need more than just the supercharger.

Think you will find the bearing replacement will be cheaper than going to a different supercharger.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I think he is referring to the whole Whipple unit as a lid.
Mayeb00, the Whipple is a down firing blower with the intercooler brick below the rotors. The gm eaton blowers are up firing units with a 'lid' that contains the intercooler setup.
More details on your bearing issue.
How old is the blower? How fast are you spining it (What lower balancer and upper pulley)? How do you know you have a bearing issue?

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
Has the Whipple had it's oil changed with the correct oil at the correct interval(s)???

·
Registered
641 Posts
Has the Whipple had it's oil changed with the correct oil at the correct interval(s)???
Whipple only recommends oil changed every 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Whipples have a sight glass so it's easy to see the level unlike the Maggie 2300 I had on my G8 GXP which the rear seal went and leaked but by the time I traced the leak it was to late. Magnuson did repair it free of charge since it was under 3 years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts