Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day, I'll be getting my whipple installed the beginning of next month (Aug).

I was going to wait until after install to post but thought it would be best to get any advise beforehand.

So, I'm going with a whipple, stage 2 cam, rotofab, dsx, mgw shifter, kooks to1q stock mufflers. Supporting engine mods (springs,che..etc). Stock whipple kit and injectors.

This is a daily vehicle. I'm not looking to be the best in my state (maybe just on my street or neighborhood...I can live with that..haha).

Any things I should be on the look out for or upgrade ( bigger injectors, different pulleys or anything else that those that went whipple and got the OH I should have done this or that).

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,079 Posts
I'm not very knowledgeable in this so I may be way off base, But I believe the DSX you mention to be a flex fuel kit, and if so it is my understanding that you'll need bigger injectors for the increased demand for E85. I could be wrong, and I probably am, but this should prompt those in the know to put one of us on the right path anyway. (y)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not very knowledgeable in this so I may be way off base, But I believe the DSX you mention to be a flex fuel kit, and if so it is my understanding that you'll need bigger injectors for the increased demand for E85. I could be wrong, and I probably am, but this should prompt those in the know to put one of us on the right path anyway. (y)
I'm new to all of this as well. It's and auxiliary pump. No E85.....for now.......

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm new to all of this as well. It's and auxiliary pump. No E85.....for now.......
As 15supersport said, e85 is the best bang for your buck to add power to any supercharger. It may be worth thinking of installing larger injectors now even if not doing the upgrade now. Otherwise you'll have to remove the blower to change out the injectors if you decide to do it later plus the cost of new injectors. Gains can be 60-80 whp(or more depending on the build) on top of the supercharger gain. The e85 kit will adjust from gas to e85 or blend and adjust the tune accordingly so you do not have to run on e85 all the time. The larger injectors will not affect anything if you decide not to do any upgrades, but save a few bucks if you do. Either way you'll have a smile when you drive it!

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
360 Posts
Nothing wrong with bigger injectors from the get-go. Otherwise, that's fairly similar to what I'm (and lots of others) running, sans headers.

I'd also say go ahead and start with the 3.75" pulley.

It's a great combination that won't get away from you. I've been very happy running this for a few years. I'm starting to get the itch for more, though, so I think valvetrain upgrades may happen this winter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As 15supersport said, e85 is the best bang for your buck to add power to any supercharger. It may be worth thinking of installing larger injectors now even if not doing the upgrade now. Otherwise you'll have to remove the blower to change out the injectors if you decide to do it later plus the cost of new injectors. Gains can be 60-80 whp(or more depending on the build) on top of the supercharger gain. The e85 kit will adjust from gas to e85 or blend and adjust the tune accordingly so you do not have to run on e85 all the time. The larger injectors will not affect anything if you decide not to do any upgrades, but save a few bucks if you do. Either way you'll have a smile when you drive it!
All good points. I always wondered what do you do when your not near an e85 pump. Also, I've heard and read not all e85 is equal meaning it's might not be 85 but less and there are small tester kits you can use to verify. Any downsides going with e85?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing wrong with bigger injectors from the get-go. Otherwise, that's fairly similar to what I'm (and lots of others) running, sans headers.

I'd also say go ahead and start with the 3.75" pulley.

It's a great combination that won't get away from you. I've been very happy running this for a few years. I'm starting to get the itch for more, though, so I think valvetrain upgrades may happen this winter.
Thanks, I believe a 4" is in the kit? I mentioned this to the builder and we'll see. A pully swap is quick work.

What will you upgrade in the valvetrain sans going e85?

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
360 Posts
Cam, rockers, springs, pushrods.

Nothing at all wrong with e85, I just don't currently intend to run the boost levels that will take advantage of it. No real desire to chase the weak link through the driveline right now, either. I have too many other irons in the fire.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cam, rockers, springs, pushrods.

Nothing at all wrong with e85, I just don't currently intend to run the boost levels that will take advantage of it. No real desire to chase the weak link through the driveline right now, either. I have too many other irons in the fire.
Ok, gotcha. I fully understand. I edited my post I left out the stage 2 cam I'm also doing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
All good points. I always wondered what do you do when your not near an e85 pump. Also, I've heard and read not all e85 is equal meaning it's might not be 85 but less and there are small tester kits you can use to verify. Any downsides going with e85?
That's true. Most stations run in the e70-80%. I use my HP TUNER to check it. As far as I know there are no downsides to running it. Just do not store the car in the winter with it.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy SS HW
161 Posts
E85 kits have a sensor that detects the E content. Very rarely are you actually at e85 given you often are filling up your tank with some regular gas still in it. The tune can adapt, eg adjust trim and timing depending on E content real time.

·
Registered
2015 Chevy SS
5 Posts
I ran a similar setup for a few years, couple hiccups initially but it came alive and was very dependable! Be sure to do a trunnion kit. I didn’t notice that being mentioned.1300 injectors were perfect but I wan’t on E so…
You’ll have fun with that setup, will need some more tracking too. MT Street R work great.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm almost at the finish line.
Tune on Monday

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts