Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious which supercharger option for the SS would result in the least amount of heat during spirited driving. I used to be a big track junkie so I will be tracking my SS at some point in the future a few times, so it needs to be able to do a few 20+ minute sessions per day without the oil temp getting too much above 250 F, and that is with all out hard track driving in ambient temps reaching 90F, maybe more. My preliminary research shows a Procharger would be a better choice. Is that correct? Other options? What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Also which option is best suited for typical street tires at OEM sizes? Procharger as well given the boost comes on later? I don't want to lose traction at 30-50mph either. I guess the toque and power levels matter as well. What's a realistic level to accomplish that? I may want to go big power one day too but don't mind going in increments.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pro charger certainly won't succumb to the heat soak of a roots type, but the trade off is ability.

I would suggest, after seeing many of others at the track, that adding competent tranny cooling is essential too.

I have a mild cam and I am chasing FI along the way, so I am critically thinking of the merits of each type too. Pulley wheel size is an easy fix for too much or too low boost, no?!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Even in stock form, I suspect a proper (aftermarket in this case) oil cooler would be necessary to maintain those max oil temps during "a few 20+ minute sessions per day ... with all out hard track driving in ambient temps reaching 90F, maybe more.", and adding boost on top of that is only going to add to that need. Heck, you can't even do that in a stock C7 without getting a reduced power message.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Procharger set ups definitely run cooler then the roots/twin screw blowers. The boost comes in cooler and usually you can even run more timing. That being said a Whipple, Maggie or even an LSA swap are all great options for big power and make for excellent street cars. We custom built our LSA set up in our shop car. Using a high quality heat exchanger and pump is everything if you're trying to keep the temps low.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I can rest my hand on my Whipple blower after a few dyno or street pulls...
The lsa reports better iat numbers with a interchiller but I don't know if it is sensor location or what.
After 5 Dyno pulls, without the interchiller running, iat's stayed below 120 at the highest...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Take what I’m going to say with a grain of salt as I don’t have a blower, never have had a blower, and only hope to have a blower in the future. I am going to stay in a La Quinta next week however, so...

You’re not going to get a hard answer because there isn’t one. You can already see that in the above posts. My spidey sense says you could add a procharger with fewer supporting mods than a PD blower and run your track days without significant heating issues, but a PD blower with sufficient cooling will run fine too, as noted above by Rico. Cost and power delivery preference may be a bigger factor in your decision than which one runs cooler.

Finally, from what I’ve read on the forum the interchiller’s work well in a drag setting (short duration max throttle, which shuts off the a/c compressor followed by a cool off period with the a/c compressor back on) but do not work well in road course racing due to the longer duration and constant on and off full throttle doesn’t allow the interchiller to do its thing.

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you considered a turbo? Kits are becoming available and would be a great option.

While the cost of most of the superchargers isn't a problem, I suspect the turbos will be. Regardless, though I love to adopt new stuff when it comes to cars I generally prefer to go with something that's been tested, proven and used by others for a while. Plus, there's obviously a reason why a turbo setup has really never taken off with all the other cars that have the same or similar engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want PD, I'd go largest available PD blower (I believe that would be the 2.9L Whipple) at relatively low boost and an oversized heat exchanger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pro charger certainly won't succumb to the heat soak of a roots type, but the trade off is ability.

I would suggest, after seeing many of others at the track, that adding competent tranny cooling is essential too.

I have a mild cam and I am chasing FI along the way, so I am critically thinking of the merits of each type too. Pulley wheel size is an easy fix for too much or too low boost, no?!

To what make big HP?

·
Registered
112 Posts
To what make big HP?
Generally they make less... All the examples I have seen in Australia have been lower-output than what the Roots Type are able to spit out. The only issue is the heat soak that occurs with the FI on top of the engine. I am in two minds about the way I want to go. FWIW, the roots type looks good, but I would be happier with less strain on the non-LSA internals of my LS3.

Reactions: SVG97

·
Registered
167 Posts
To me track is a fun place for our cars and not a serious one. Legal fun I agree with. For circuit work and honing your skill horsepower won't help your lap times, unless you have huge tracks in the US. Circuit seems to be NA and turbo, not supercharged. Regarding heat. A 4cyl stick shift NA, with brakes tyres tyres, adjustable handling, plus a well taught driver, will set better times at a circuit than one of our beasts. However, my circuit SS would be an insurance write off, stripped, caged - engineered for more stiffness for the track suspension. NA block, dry sumped. Hollinger gearbox, Suspension and brake upgrades, a driver constantly learning cornering lines and braking points. It will cost money. A bottomless tire account alone... The late George Best said “I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” “In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.”

Reactions: ESindon

·
Banned
32 Posts
If you want PD, I'd go largest available PD blower (I believe that would be the 2.9L Whipple) at relatively low boost and an oversized heat exchanger.

I believe the TVS2650 is more efficient, will run cooler, and is able to make more power.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you're making more power than stock, you'll need really good oil cooling to keep temps in check, regardless of power adder. Bigger bang = more heat, doesn't so much matter how the bang got big. You'll have to get external oil coolers etc.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts