Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been shared before but when our community looses one of our cars to insurance heaven, what happens next? I stumbled upon this website with quite a database of fallen SS sedans. :oops:

Car Bids History - Chevy SS

Wow so sad. :cry:
But maybe a good project for someone?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That is pretty cool. Hopefully an entrepreneur in the southwest is hoarding for the good of the community.

·
Registered
16 ss m6 w/lsa
181 Posts
My totalled one went to pa. Fixed. Rebuit title. Then sold to michigan. Guy in MI just sold it to someone else in Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
14,542 Posts
Pay attention to the VINs; lots are duplicates and many are not SS's.

There have been way more totaled than what is listed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
sounds like a country song..
Where have all the fallen SS gone

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
To the shredder!

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
To the shredder!
Before I retired, I was doing a service call at a metal recycling company in Opalocka Florida, saw a flat bed delivering cars to be shredded, and two were SSs. One black, one red.

Reactions: RedKing67

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Just how it is. Unfortunately being near and seeing so many "1 of 1" get scrapped and everything else sort of breaks you. I used to go through the junkyard at work to look at all the crazy stuff between building travel sometimes with friends [coworkers]. Just to see it all

Reactions: z51vett

·
Registered
370 Posts
Does anyone have any idea of how many SS's have been "lost" over the years? 10%? 20%? Just curious...
Rick H.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Some are fixed poorly and resold to someone who thinks they got a great deal. The rest (most) go to salvage yards which will strip the valuable parts off and then the car with all the “non-valuable” parts (which are actually the hard to find stuff but difficult to sell and ship for little money) will be crushed, recycled, and turned into Priuses.

·
Premium Member
14,542 Posts
From watching IAA and COPART since day 1 it is at least 10% of total production.

Back in 2017 I got a inflator kit for $75 to replace the spare in my '14 from a local Corvette stripper who broke up the wreck.

·
Premium Member
14,542 Posts
Some are fixed poorly and resold to someone who thinks they got a great deal. The rest (most) go to salvage yards which will strip the valuable parts off and then the car with all the “non-valuable” parts (which are actually the hard to find stuff but difficult to sell and ship for little money) will be crushed, recycled, and turned into Priuses.
Unfortunately this is true.

Reactions: wilkin4 and ESindon
1 - 14 of 14 Posts