Chevy SS Forum banner

When to Do First Oil Change Following Break-in

15102 Views 30 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Jstue
I have read the manual and it says that the initial break-in is done after the first 621 miles. Is this the proper time to do the first oil change? Historically, for a new car, I usually change the oil at the 1000 mile mark.

Is that old school or can you just go to 5000 with the advances in oil technology? I will be using full synthetic, probably like everyone else, and plan to change it after that at every 5000 miles going forward. I've never had a car with this type of engine, so I am not sure if the oil change intervals should be closer. Thanks.
1 - 2 of 31 Posts
Under 1000 miles I buy my own Mobil 1 5w30 gm dexso approved along with GM spec 6094m, GM4718m, dealer changes it for me about 17.00 bucks. They did it complimentary for my first. I also supply my own filter UPF48R AC DELCO this is the filter for the dry sump ZR1 and Z06. For all you folks who drive by the oil life monitor think about this nothing has changed Filters are better that means they pick up more trash and can clog going into by pass mode, clearances are tighter sure but you are riding on a layer of oil when it shears away you have metal to metal contact ie wear. Because we are timed injected we don't have the fuel wash that carbs gave us. Top tier gas has better additives to keep engine injectors and values clean. Well Mobil 1 is full synthetic not a blend. GM went to it to help gas mileage and to aid in lowering oil temps and prevent coking of the oil.
So use whatever gas and oil you like I'm around 19 miles to gallon so I will see what happens as I continue to drive with the Mobil 1. Chevron 93 octane and would love some 92/93 octane pure gas.
z51vett
Doug
z51vett
Doug
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Would using Royal Purple break in oil void the warranty?
You don't need break in oil that's a thing of the past for new cars.
z51vett
Doug
Reactions: 4
1 - 2 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.