Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,757 Posts
Search on the internet shows Camaro and a few others to be a 22. Figure the SS would have the same.
OM was no help for size.

Vernier caliper reads 0.8603 on mine just now.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
.03937" X 22 = .86614"= 22 mm. I's be a machinist for over 45 years!! Work in metrics all the time!! Yep, we have 22 mm nuts. .006" for socket clearance. I still use the old style vernier calipers once in awhile just to keep in mental shape. It's a good exercise to prevent early onset dementia!!! The SS takes care of the rest of it.

·
Super Moderator
14,757 Posts
Couldn't get my .0001 mic in there so had to use the caliper and make a best guess at the proper "feel" on the jaws. Guess I was pretty close given the .006 clearance you mentioned. Didn't know how much might be allowed.

I guess a flank drive 7/8 socket might work, but I'd be hesitant to use a normal 6 point. Afraid it might round the corners at 140 lbft required torque on the wheel nuts.

Thanks KenzSS and Headrat!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Huh, VERNIER calipers Pinetree? I'm impressed that they're not the now usual dial or digital! :thumbsUp: Back in the day using vernier was second nature, we used to jokingly call them "very near" calipers. :wink:
They were "venereal caterpillars" in the shop I worked in, but that was before anything was digital.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the intel everybody, I'm fortunate to have you address a lot of the questions I as a new SS owner may run into.

For the future benefit of anyone who may find this thread via the search function as I did, I found a Titan (P/N 21104) 22mm Non-Marring Lug Nut Socket at AutoZone for $9.99. Lifetime warranty, deep well, and a six point hex. I had multiple existing 22mm sockets in my tool box, even a deep well, but it was a twelve point and for lug nuts at 140 ft/lbs, I wanted a six point.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Checked the Wheel Lock Kit, under SS Accessories, on Chevy's website http://www.ssforums.com/forum/exterior-interior/24217-new-chevy-accessories.html#post409753, thanks CB750!

Noticed the part # 92290023 is the same as what I have & you get 4 locks & a key socket. I also needed 4x part # 92260556 which are the screw-on stainless steel caps. The website pic looks pretty different but guessing the caps aren't included. You don't need the caps but they make things look better. Also, thanks Crazy Paul for earlier part # info & pic in this thread!

Mike

Accessory Pic & CP's Pic

Fashion accessory Silver Metal Jewellery Steel

Auto part

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the intel everybody, I'm fortunate to have you address a lot of the questions I as a new SS owner may run into.

For the future benefit of anyone who may find this thread via the search function as I did, I found a Titan (P/N 21104) 22mm Non-Marring Lug Nut Socket at AutoZone for $9.99. Lifetime warranty, deep well, and a six point hex. I had multiple existing 22mm sockets in my tool box, even a deep well, but it was a twelve point and for lug nuts at 140 ft/lbs, I wanted a six point.
I see this is an old thread, but still appreciate the info AirBull -- found it at Autozone tonight...FWIW, in case anyone else is looking, here is what the unit actually looks like in packaging... be advised, there are apparently many different color sockets for different sizes - so look for the "green"...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Are those wheel lock screw on caps really 10 bucks a piece. How good do they look? is it worth it? And is it worth it for the factory wheel locks for that matter at $120?

Reactions: RedhotFLSS

·
Registered
217 Posts
I went ahead and used McGuard locks. The dealer put some locks on it but they were torque limited (90, 110, can't remember). When I cranked them to 150 they didn't feel too good; wanted them off. I'm pretty sure they were the GM locks and the torque limit was on the key.

Question for you smart guys: If the lug nuts are supposed to be 150 but the lock is limited to 110 what do you do? Over torque the lock (what I did)? Lug nuts all at 110? Only the lock at 110 and lug nuts 150?

While I was at it I put some McGuard spline drive lug nuts on the rest of the studs. Now those things are nice plus I figure your average drug addict wheel thief isn't going to have a set of spline drive sockets in their pocket (I hope).

I usually use Gorilla locks but they didn't look (to me) like they'd take 150 ft lbs so I skipped them this time. Didn't list the torque rating and I didn't feel like calling them.

Take care.

·
Banned
15,274 Posts
I went ahead and used McGuard locks. The dealer put some locks on it but they were torque limited (90, 110, can't remember). When I cranked them to 150 they didn't feel too good; wanted them off. I'm pretty sure they were the GM locks and the torque limit was on the key.

Question for you smart guys: If the lug nuts are supposed to be 150 but the lock is limited to 110 what do you do? Over torque the lock (what I did)? Lug nuts all at 110? Only the lock at 110 and lug nuts 150?

While I was at it I put some McGuard spline drive lug nuts on the rest of the studs. Now those things are nice plus I figure your average drug addict wheel thief isn't going to have a set of spline drive sockets in their pocket (I hope).

I usually use Gorilla locks but they didn't look (to me) like they'd take 150 ft lbs so I skipped them this time. Didn't list the torque rating and I didn't feel like calling them.

Take care.
correct torque is 140.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
I see this is an old thread, but still appreciate the info AirBull -- found it at Autozone tonight...FWIW, in case anyone else is looking, here is what the unit actually looks like in packaging... be advised, there are apparently many different color sockets for different sizes - so look for the "green"...
didnt know these existed .. getting one per vehicle.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
who is a wiz at math?

if a ONE wheel lock weights 2 oz more than the the FOUR remaining standard wheel lug nuts, at what speed will the car start shaking due to unbalance?

what may work OK at 70mph may be an issue at triple digit speeds .. right?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I did get factory GM wheel locks and the screw on caps (part of my deal when I bought car) --- the caps work well and look real close to the chrome lug nuts. They are pricey though for sure

·
Registered
470 Posts
Old Wheel Lock Thread Revival

I did get factory GM wheel locks and the screw on caps (part of my deal when I bought car) --- the caps work well and look real close to the chrome lug nuts. They are pricey though for sure
Ok, so I went a purchased GM part number 92290023, as many here have said, and gmpartsdirect."COM" is no longer selling them. (they do still show up on the website, just no longer for sale.) I only capitalized .COM because there is another website out there that has the same address, only with a different "dot" address at the end, so please beware, and if you order from them be sure to get on the .com website. So on with my issue. I ordered the wheel locks and recieved the set that has the short looking nuts, and they did not come with the "screw on lug covers". So I contacted customer service at gmpartsdiect.com, and they said they were the correct items, even though on the website it show a completely different set of locks. So I contacted McGard, as that name was on the locking part to tighten them up with. They told me that the ones I received were for a car with "hubcaps". So after looking at their website, I see exactly what they described. So I am a bit confused as it appears that several members here have actually purchased the set that requires the screw on cap. I have attached a few pics of what I am talking about. The text that appears under the ones with the screw on caps says - "Cone Seat - Under Hub Cap Wheel Lock Set (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Locks and 1 Key", and the text under the other set (same part number) says - "Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Lock Set (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Locks and 1 Key". And this was entering in my SS correctly on the page where it asks for your exact car. It is a bit confusing if you ask me.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, so I went a purchased GM part number 92290023, as many here have said, and gmpartsdirect."COM" is no longer selling them. (they do still show up on the website, just no longer for sale.) I only capitalized .COM because there is another website out there that has the same address, only with a different "dot" address at the end, so please beware, and if you order from them be sure to get on the .com website. So on with my issue. I ordered the wheel locks and recieved the set that has the short looking nuts, and they did not come with the "screw on lug covers". So I contacted customer service at gmpartsdiect.com, and they said they were the correct items, even though on the website it show a completely different set of locks. So I contacted McGard, as that name was on the locking part to tighten them up with. They told me that the ones I received were for a car with "hubcaps". So after looking at their website, I see exactly what they described. So I am a bit confused as it appears that several members here have actually purchased the set that requires the screw on cap. I have attached a few pics of what I am talking about. The text that appears under the ones with the screw on caps says - "Cone Seat - Under Hub Cap Wheel Lock Set (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Locks and 1 Key", and the text under the other set (same part number) says - "Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Lock Set (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Locks and 1 Key". And this was entering in my SS correctly on the page where it asks for your exact car. It is a bit confusing if you ask me.
I bought a 17 SS over the weekend and my FIL purchased on yesterday. Been doing some research and it appears McGard makes the GM locks or they are identical. Given availability and price I am considering giving the McGard a try even though I have run the GM ones on all of my other cars. McGard tells me there is no torque limitation on these and to torque to whatever the factory specs are. McGard also sells the chrome covers that were pictured earlier in this thread from GM.

Has anyone installed this combo? How do they look in comparison with the factory lugnuts? Any complaints or problems?

I tried to post the McGard links, but I don't have enough posts here yet. 24019 and 70006 are the part numbers if you search their site.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.