Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Personally, when it comes to "most significant" photo of the 20th century, I can't decide between

the Apollo 11 shots;
the mushroom cloud; and
Khomeini.

Each of them were hugely momentous in their own way, each represents a pivot point upon which the course of history was changed (although as I think about it now, it seems as though we've squandered the momentum that we'd once had from the Apollo missions).

As an aside, a BIG :thumbsUp: and :3tens: to @Smirnoff67 for the Farrah picture - that was the perfect "palate cleanser" after 'falling man' and 'monk flambé"...:grin

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pardon me for being a bit pedantic, but the thread refers to the 20th century - although it's undeniably hugely significant, 9/11 doesn't quite make the cut... :redface:

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Pardon me for being a bit pedantic, but the thread refers to the 20th century - although it's undeniably hugely significant, 9/11 doesn't quite make the cut... :redface:
hear me out .. 9/11-01 was some 15-20 yrs or so in the making ...

Pres Carter adm started the Jihad in 1980s, what would later evolve into 9-11 …

The former director of the CIA, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs [“From the Shadows”], that American intelligence services began to aid the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet intervention.

In this period you [Brzezinski] were the national security adviser to President Carter. You therefore played a role in this affair. Is that correct?

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise: Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul.

---------------------------

Bin Laden joined the Mujahideen forces in Pakistan fighting against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.
Under CIA's Operation Cyclone from 1979 to 1989, the United States and Saudi Arabia provided $40 billion worth of financial aid and weapons to almost 100,000 Mujahideen and "Afghan Arabs" from forty Muslim countries.
On November 8, 1990 [20th Century], the FBI raided the New Jersey home of El Sayyid Nosair, an associate of al-Qaeda operative Ali Mohamed. They discovered copious evidence of terrorist plots, including plans to blow up New York City skyscrapers.
Bin Laden masterminded the September 11 attacks, which resulted in the deaths of nearly 3,000 and prompted the United States to initiate the War on Terror.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Rosa Parks!!!!! WOW!!

All mentions in this thread are worthy. Here's one that wasn't mentioned yet. Rosa Parks mug shot for not giving her bus seat to a white person.
@Dolores !!!! A VERY wonderful and interesting choice on your part!!!! Please remind me next time you are down at Ruby's to tell you a very personal story about Ms. Parks, that you will really appreciate!!! I had the privilege of meeting her and spending some time. She told me the story of what happened that day, up close and personal!!! An experience and a lesson, that I will surely NEVER FORGET!!!!

:wink

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
And One More Time!!!

Just a reminder to one of the more active SoCal members!!!!

In the spirit of the words of Ice Cube's, famous Battle Track,,,, No Vaseline,,,, Here's what they think about ya!!!

:serious

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
ES**** said:

In the spirit of the words of Ice Cube's, famous Battle Track,,,, No Vaseline,,,, Here's what they think about ya!!!

ttps://youtu.be/iNPiql-pnLc

Esindon, ignoring

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
^^^^^^^^

Im just commenting on the view's related to me by others (There are many!) in the group!!!!

I don't have to beg for attention,,, dude!!!! That's not how my self esteem is fueled!!

Whatever!!! You are not compelled to comment on my posts!!!

L8R Dayz, Brah!!!

:devil

NOW!! Back to regularly scheduled programming,,,,, KAPEESH!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts

https://youtu.be/iNPiql-pnLc

Where did THAT come from?? Did I miss some provocation somewhere??? :question:

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Im just commenting on the view's related to me by others (There are many!) in the group!!!!

I don't have to beg for attention,,, dude!!!! That's not how my self esteem is fueled!!

Whatever!!! You are not compelled to comment on my posts!!!

L8R Dayz, Brah!!!

:devil

NOW!! Back to regularly scheduled programming,,,,, KAPEESH!!!

seriously

?????

·
Registered
148 Posts
hear me out .. 9/11-01 was some 15-20 yrs or so in the making ...

Pres Carter adm started the Jihad in 1980s, what would later evolve into 9-11 …

The former director of the CIA, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs [“From the Shadows”], that American intelligence services began to aid the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet intervention.

In this period you [Brzezinski] were the national security adviser to President Carter. You therefore played a role in this affair. Is that correct?

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise: Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul.

---------------------------

Bin Laden joined the Mujahideen forces in Pakistan fighting against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.
Under CIA's Operation Cyclone from 1979 to 1989, the United States and Saudi Arabia provided $40 billion worth of financial aid and weapons to almost 100,000 Mujahideen and "Afghan Arabs" from forty Muslim countries.
On November 8, 1990 [20th Century], the FBI raided the New Jersey home of El Sayyid Nosair, an associate of al-Qaeda operative Ali Mohamed. They discovered copious evidence of terrorist plots, including plans to blow up New York City skyscrapers.
Bin Laden masterminded the September 11 attacks, which resulted in the deaths of nearly 3,000 and prompted the United States to initiate the War on Terror.

No argument there, I distinctly remember us basically supplying a lot of the logistics/supplies to the mujaheddin (including the man-portable anti-aircraft missiles that -at least somewhat- defanged the terrifying Hind "flying tanks").

If I had been a bit wiser/more-mature at the time, I might have considered the possibility that doing so could have bitten us in the hindquarters eventually... :frown

Of course now I'm wondering what might have happened if we had instead allied ourselves with the Soviets (unthinkable, I know!) against the mujaheddin... Probably unknowable.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Where did THAT come from?? Did I miss some provocation somewhere??? :question:
Can't speak for ESindon but it's kind of bizarre in a sadly creepy way when I asked folks to suggest a single picture and someone goes all OCD with a dozen posts with every picture they can find. Then they have to invent a time machine to move 21st century imagery back into the previous one. A borderline thread hijack like that certainly looks like a cry for attention. It's a bit too odd to be entertaining.
Numbingly, what happens next is also too predictable.
:shrug:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

First one that came to mind

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts

First one that came to mind

THAT image is also embedded in my mind, just as intensely,,, but I thought better than to post both of them up together,,, even though the timeline between them is a laser beam.

Correct me if I am wrong,,, but I think this one got a Pulitzer!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Correct me if I am wrong,,, but I think this one got a Pulitzer!!
Photographer Nick Ut won the 1973 Pulitzer for that very powerful photograph.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts