Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 20th century photography and photojournalism changed our perception of the world around us. We were exposed to sights beyond our imagination. National Geographic built an empire bringing the world into our homes. Life magazine showed us the world in a new way.

In your lifetime, what photograph sticks with you, touched you, and first comes to mind with this question? What do you believe was the most important or iconic image of the 20th century?
Napalm Girl?
Falling Man?
Man on the Moon?
Tet Offensive?
Soiling of Old Glory?
Tianimen Tankman?
Kent State Massacre?
Flag Raising at Iwo Jima?
Mushroom Cloud?

There's soooo very many.
IMHO, the most important and iconic image was Earthrise as seen from Apollo 8. It show every human as a fellow traveller on the very fragile spaceship Earth, and showed us our Earth in a way no one in history had ever before seen.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The image embedded into my memory that can never be unseen,,, of the Vietnam War!!!

THIS!!!

:serious
Yes indeed! A very powerful and shocking photo that shook much of America out of complacency to take a closer look at what was happening on the other side of the world...a maelstrom that would consume 50,000 of our fellow Americans for a cause more foreign to us than the entirety of S.E. Asia.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Not to “pick”, but one of yours falls outside the 20th century. Also, interesting to note, my pick (Apollo) of your pics is the only one of two that represents the best of humankind and what we can achieve. The rest all depict the worst of what we can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,946 Posts

the very #top photos, that changed our perception of the world around us and exposed us to sights beyond our expectations...
a turning point in the sexual revolution ...

0 monroe.jpg 0 monroe2.jpg 0 monroe4.jpg

0 monroe5.jpg 0 monroe3.jpg

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

the very #top photos, that changed our perception of the world around us and exposed us to sights beyond our expectations...
a turning point in the sexual revolution ...
View attachment 269665 View attachment 269667 View attachment 269669

View attachment 269671 View attachment 269673
So predictable... I bet another forum member that zal was gonna post Playboy. Win!
Oh, and the question was which picture, not which photo library...

Not to “pick”, but one of yours falls outside the 20th century. Also, interesting to note, my pick (Apollo) of your pics is the only one of two that represents the best of humankind and what we can achieve. The rest all depict the worst of what we can be.
Good call. It occured to me that most of these represented the worst yet those are the ones that touched many the deepest of all. It's hard to find the 'best of mankind' among the most iconic images. It's another reason why 'Earthrise' was such an easy choice.
Also thought about including early part of 21st century for our younger forum members.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
So predictable... I bet another forum member that zal was gonna post Playboy. Win!
Oh, and the question was which picture, not which photo library...
the question proposed is a huge stretch .. leading .. anyone that thinks one pic must be the icon of a century, is got some rethinking to do …

iconic is .. defining a community .. defining a group .. 1st Playboy issue is by far, way up on top, just below Statue of Liberty ...
War and Space are close behind .. for America ..
A picture of Earth is nice, but it doesn't come close to footprint and man on moon ...

Egypt pyramids
Aztec calendar
Eiffel tower
Statue of Liberty
Sputnik
etc...

not some random pic among millions …

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
While not anywhere as significant or impactful as those previously mentioned this December '85 issue of natgeo sparked my imagination and opened my eyes to a largely undiscovered world we live upon. my late uncle had gifted me a five year subscription and I looked forward to every one. Sadly I do not believe I ever took the opportunity to tell him so.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts