Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a Realtor, and this is my daily driver. (2016 PBM M6) I’ve got 75k miles on it, my added warranty runs out at 100k (used it, worth it) and I don’t want to hit the expensive repairs after warranty. I don’t think I drive it too hard. I do love this car (though I hate infotainment part) and I probably won’t want to part with it in my usual 3-4 year cycle. I’m at 4years now. Whaddya suppose will be the big dog repairs I’ll face? Won’t the LS3 run forever? Is there any car that’ll make me happy after this? I love that it’s a sleeper. Even kept the Chevy badges (though I kinda want the holdens).
Been lurking on the forum forever and when my payment for the forum came up, I thought I’d weigh in. Hi all!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Run it til it dies. The powertrain should last, engine and trans are solid (may need a new clutch at some point but that's a wear item). The weak points will be the electronics, particularly the magnetic shocks that are prone to failure. I was worried about the p/s rack but now almost all fall under the recall if it goes out.

I don't know that there's too much that will make you happy after the SS, at least if you're limited to sedans. The Charger is probably closes, but it's getting quite old and was never as crisp as the SS. You have the new Caddy "CT5-V" which gets close at 360hp with a twin turbo V6 and a good chassis, but it's not the same as an LS and a bit smaller. Maybe, maybe there's an LT4 version coming but that's still rumored and with the way GM is now I have my doubts. Beyond that you're into expensive German hardware. The M340i is pretty damn quick and can be tuned easily for big power. But you're looking at a 60k+ car decently equipped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I have a 15' with 51,000 miles and my extended warranty runs out next August. It's paid for itself already, glad I got it. I know these engines and trans should last a while (with scheduled maintenance) but it's everything else that worries me, especially the mag ride. My rears already went ($2,100 covered under ext wannanty) and I'm afraid it'll go again in the next 4-5 years.
Suppose if we have another kid I'd pick up a 6.2 Tahoe or Yukon and throw a tune or procharger on it.

If you are sticking with sedans, the Charger 492 scat pack is probably the closest thing to our SS.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Fortunately SS is not my DD. CRZ with manual and 103K miles is Daily Appliance. Ducati Diavel satisfies need for speed. Have AMG wagon on order but waiting for Production Notification from Factory before I get excited.

Many will move on to the C8 or CT5-V Blackwing. If my special order is not fulfilled for 2021 will purchase something slower than the SS like base Defender 90 with 4.11 gears and steel wheels or TRD Pro 4Runner so wife can attack the curbs...lol

Then maybe later will replace CRZ with a faster Miata 6-stick and hang with @ESindon in the South Bay...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine isn’t a a daily and I do not plan on getting rid of it. Mag ride can be changed out for a quality coil over setup if thats a long term concern. I would bank on a clutch at some point otherwise enjoy the car.

Reactions: Commadore

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
CT5-V blackwing manual most likely second or third year.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
In a few years... maybe a 2-3 year old VW GTI, part of retirement downsizing.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'm constantly torn on when to make the jump. I too, can't figure out what will be the next car as there is nothing currently appealing out there. I'm also looking at the SS resale value which makes it more tempting to get out of the SS, but again, nowhere to go. I'm contemplating consolidating vehicles (one MT sports car and one MT 4wd SUV currently compliment the MT SS) and possibly going with just a manual-transmission (probably used) 2-door sports car and a Rivian R1S as the daily driver/family mobile. Hard decision as I really like the current group of vehicles and really like manuals.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No idea, maybe a truck (or a Bronco if they are as cool as they look)? It is really tempting to sell now with the resale value so high, especially on the manuals. Or, I will just drive it into the ground and get something electric in 10 years. I figure this is the last hurrah for a manual NA V8 sedan, nothing else left like it.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
649 Posts
My M6 ‘17 has 18k miles and will not be driven in inclement weather anymore so the mileage will slow down. I saved $10k with the 20% off MSRP sale but have put $10k in mods do I plan on keeping it as long as it’s reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SaberOne

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don’t buy my cars brand new. I prefer to let others take the initial depreciation hit and high insurance. Prefer 2-3 years lightly used or CPO. I’d add a GSF and Stinger to the very very short list.
Stingers are going to be worth probably 5k in another year or so.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ideally I'll stick to a sports sedan, unless my wife forces me to buy the big family car and she goes smaller. If I stick to my plan here would be my plan (3-5 years out):

1) Chevy sports sedan if one is made in the future
2) Porsche Panomara (sp?) used
3) Cadillac C something if I can fit in it.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I already made up my mind that if ever replaced, I will get an older truck. No more bank donations.
Small issue with injector this week and my siblings asking if it's time to ditch Pearl. "NO!"

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,417 Posts
No plans on changing vehicles for me. Sure, I wouldn't mind having a four-door truck or maybe a full-size SUV Denali, but at my age, I just don't have the same habits as I used to.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I'd probably go V3. I'll still have my G8 GXP if i ever get rid of the SS anyway.

Realistically, I'd like a C6/C7 GS and a reliable daily driver/beater like a Malibu.

But SS to something else, I'd go V3 or V-Sport. ATS is too small for my liking to fit anyone in the back seat.

Maybe a new V variant. Really depends on where life goes.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts