Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I bought a 2014 Caprice PPV a couple of weeks ago and I've been on this site learning a lot. I have seen more than one reference to a 'Kazoo tube'. What exactly are they talking about? Both times I saw it there was levity involved.

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
My understanding of the " Kazoo tube", it brings an increase of engine noise to the passenger compartment via a tube from the intake or airbox to the firewall. I think it was only added to the 2016-2017 SS sedans. There are plenty of discussions for and against. Some think it manufactures a fake sound and some just enjoy it...

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Learn about it here: Kazoo tube
Post # 2 has a picture of one off the car.

·
Registered
2017, SB, Auto, Slick top & Inflator.
24 Posts
So, mine is a 2014. Does anyone have a picture of said 'Kazoo tube'?

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Easy search gave these threads. I'm sure there are more. Start here:

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Easy search gave these threads. I'm sure there are more. Start here:
I've always thought that last video was the most elegant solution for those who wanted to retain a perfectly stock appearance. It's simple, easy to do, uses a readily available part (3/4 copper pipe cap), and is virtually undetectable to the eye after its installed.

$.02

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi guys,

I bought a 2014 Caprice PPV a couple of weeks ago and I've been on this site learning a lot. I have seen more than one reference to a 'Kazoo tube'. What exactly are they talking about? Both times I saw it there was levity involved.

Thanks!
I own a 2014 and I test drove a 2017. You can definitely hear the additional sound coming from the firewall in the 2017.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I've always thought that last video was the most elegant solution for those who wanted to retain a perfectly stock appearance. It's simple, easy to do, uses a readily available part (3/4 copper pipe cap), and is virtually undetectable to the eye after its installed.

$.02
I didn’t think the “stock appearance“ of the kazoo tube was a big plus…but getting it out of the way for spark plug changes was..
GONE!

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
1 inch copper cap
NO.
He says the kazoo tube has a 1" I.D. at the intake end, so for the cap to have a matching 1" O.D. that (obviously) means it's fits a 3/4" copper pipe, hence the call out size of the 3/4" cap. If the cap had a call out size of 1", it would have a 1-1/4" O.D.

Did you lose your plumber's cap today? ;)

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
NO.
He says the kazoo tube has a 1" I.D. at the intake end, so for the cap to have a matching 1" O.D. that (obviously) means it's fits a 3/4" copper pipe, hence the call out size of the 3/4" cap. If the cap had a call out size of 1", it would have a 1-1/4" O.D.

Did you lose your plumber's cap today? ;)
In the video he calls it a 1 inch outside diameter on the tube and then he calls the copper cap a 1 inch outside diameter cap.

Nobody calls out caps by OD size unless you are refrigeration then a 3/4" cap is the ID size for a 3/4" OD pipe. I can get you a 3/4" cap and a 7/8" cap and they won't be the same size .. your Home depot variety hardware store will only carry a "3/4" cap for 7/8" OD tube so the 3/4 cap is correct speaking in general.

·
Super Moderator
8,862 Posts
How about we ask @ls3ss what he used?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
How about we ask @ls3ss what he used?
Being that I used a copper cap with an outside diameter of 1 inch, the inside diameter was likely 7/8". It doesn't matter what the inside diameter of the cap being used is as long as the outside diameter is 1 inch. The thickness of the cap material can vary, so stating the inside diameter does not guarantee the outside diameter is 1 inch. I took a tape measure to a local hardware store and found what had the required 1 inch outside diameter.

I truly miss that 2017 SS (sold it in 2020 to help keep my business alive). Everytime I see that engine cover in the spare parts room, I miss it even more.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Being that I used a copper cap with an outside diameter of 1 inch, the inside diameter was likely 7/8". It doesn't matter what the inside diameter of the cap being used is as long as the outside diameter is 1 inch. The thickness of the cap material can vary, so stating the inside diameter does not guarantee the outside diameter is 1 inch. I took a tape measure to a local hardware store and found what had the required 1 inch outside diameter.

Oh jeez. I would defy you to go to your local hardware store, HomeDepot, Lowes, Ace, etc.etc. and find a copper cap sweat type fitting that approximates a 1" O.D. which has a call out size of anything other than 3/4". This is such basic stuff, I can't believe this is even being debated. I would expect the majority of any variations you may have noticed in the O.D. of 3/4" copper cap sweat fittings was likely due to a tape measure being used instead of a caliper.

Furthermore, if by chance someone did manage to find a 3/4" cap with a slightly smaller OD (than 1"), simply adding another hose clamp around the hose where the cap is located would more than compensate for the minor difference. Conversely, if the 3/4" cap had a slightly larger OD (than 1"), simply lube it and use a little more force to push it in; again, the rubber hose will compensate for any minor difference.

Bottom line is, you're going to be using a part with a call out of 3/4" copper cap sweat type fitting.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
And before it joined the LS 3's, It worked the symphony circuit...🥁

Reactions: Taze

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
This is such basic stuff, I can't believe this is even being debated.
I only brought it up because of the wording in the video.

Don't want to debate pipe sizes, but here is an arrangement of long radius 90 refrigeration fittings ..

Brown Wood Metal Copper Fashion accessory

The two in the middle are for 3/4" nominal ID / 7/8" OD and 5/8" nominal ID / 3/4" OD .. nominal indicates that based on tubing type, wall thickness will affect the ID size but the OD is standardized for all copper tubing types.

By the way .. if anybody needs to order an assortment of copper fittings for a piping project or a 3/4" cap to plug your kazoo tube, I may be able to part with some inventory at cheaper than Home Depot pricing .. 😉

1 - 20 of 26 Posts