Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare

Premium Member
some of you guys act like Chevrolet didn't make Super Sports beyond the 1960s... ;) ...Super Sport to me...

Bill

Reactions: good2go and CB750

Registered
some of you guys act like Chevrolet didn't make Super Sports beyond the 1960s... ;) ...Super Sport to me...

Bill
They did, but some of the vehicles it was applied to weren't very...super.

SS to me means GM marketing couldn't think of a better name after the bean counters and bankruptcy killed off the planned move of the Impala to Zeta which is what this car really was supposed to be. Then they obviously couldn't call it an Impala SS once they kept that car FWD.

Reactions: jbawden

Registered
The first use of the term Super Sport by Chevrolet was in 1956 on a special Corvette show car. It was used again in 1957 on a special order Corvettes for race use only. Then in 1961 Chevrolet finally brought out their first Super Sport package with trim and other mods to a stock vehicle. The Super Sport moniker has continued ever since in many various forms usually associated with higher performance models. However, I don't quite understand how pickup trucks ever qualified as Super Sport vehicles, but anything goes in order to sell vehicles I guess.
Rick H.

Registered
The Monaro sold so well here as the GTO that GM Marketing doubled down and chose SS for the Commodore.

Given the quota of 12;000+, GM didn't have anything to loose on the naming. They should have tried to redeem a fallen name for future use:

Celebrity SS
Corsica SS
Lumina SS
:unsure:

Premium Member
Started with Super Sport, and after a few trips for parts. It is now Sport Sedan and for all other inquiries.
Holden Commodore an endangered species!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts