Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure there's a correct phrase, but I've heard a few. Sport Sedan, Super Sport, etc. I was talking with a CTS-V friend about how I ordered coilovers for my ss, which is already on coilovers. We got to talking about all the money we spend on these cars, and I mentioned that SS stood for Superfluous Spending!

So, I thought it might be fun to see what SS means to all of you? Probably not Super Slow, maybe Soothing Sound?

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
3,076 Posts
Spencer's Speeder

My name is William Spencer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The marketing term "SS" has no real value or meaning to me, personally. The vehicle represented by the marketing term, now that means a lot.

But, to play along I think it was a lazy attempt by GM to simply leverage the SS heritage created during the first muscle car era, perhaps with a clever "sport sedan" twist sprinkled in.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
“Sport Sedan” would’ve been a pretty cool model name. I like it better than the other commonly suggested alternatives to SS.... Super Sport, Chevelle (so glad they didn’t do that), Commodore (actually, that one is ok).

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Definitely a fan of Super Sport...I love the way it’s spelled out on the quarter of the original Malibu SS

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,457 Posts
In the 60's it stood for SuperSport, so that still works for me.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Me too, my sisters boyfriend, (later brother-in- law) had '63 Impala Super Sport, with a 409 and dual quads, that he raced. He was very influential on me getting intrested in racing.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,457 Posts
Since I grew up in 60s Super Sport for me neighbor had a 62 Impala SS that I washed
I remember it like it was yesterday. This neighbor across the street had a 63' Impala. It was a champagne color. It was immaculate with a nice exhaust and wide rear tires. With those iconic six bullet style tail lights, it was the most desired car of my life. I miss living in that time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Super Stealth!

·
Registered
369 Posts
When GM brought our car to the states and just went with the SS badge, the implication is Chevy's ubiquitous Super Sport branding. In some databases, it's listed as the SS sports sedan to clarify what it is.

I'm not sure what SS-V stands for in Australia, though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a little shocked none of you mentioned Supercharged, Sleeper, or Show. I can understand the obvious connection to Super Sport for sure, a little surprising to see how many of you associate the SS with a 60s Impala experience. Keep them coming 🍿

·
Registered
480 Posts
so common, Suniel, next door - his dad worked for Electromotive / GM, so he gets this white 64 Chevelle SS when he's 15 and I was,like 11. So it became natural to learn about the nature of the SuperSport as well as the various "Z" codes and other performance options from helping him work on it or going to shows. Sports Sedan kinda works for me, although its Holden moniker, being a Lion makes it the O.G. HC actually.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts