Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge car noob and I really have nobody I can talk to about my stupid confusions around modding. I just heard about camming, but I still have no clue what it is, what it does, or how to do it. Has it got anything to do with the cam shaft?

I've noticed that cars that are cammed are more throaty, and that the idle doesn't necessarily sound like continuous pistons are firing, but that they come in more of a burst sequence.

I'm nowhere near modifying my car yet, but any wisdom is appreciated!

·
Registered
475 Posts
It merely means that the engine has been modified by the addition of an aftermarket camshaft and the required tune. The degree of performance that was changed is all dependent of the specification of the cam.

This is just one of the many guides that are out there.

·
Registered
523 Posts
remember the engine is just a big air pump. in simple terms, the more air you can cram in and out, the more power. A performance camshaft adjusts the intake and exhaust valve timings of the engine to optimize air flow. Usually this coincides with a greater flowing cold air intake/turbo/supercharger and bigger exhaust (muffler) system to get the most benefit. (and in modern cars, the computer needs to be tuned for the change in air flow to get best results)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.