Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
sent my 2016 manual to Lingenfelter for a LS7 block and LS3 heads with a magnuson supercharger (it fits under the hood) - gave me 700HP and 695 torque at the crank - works nicely as a daily driver.
nice. yeah if im over 600 its fine it just want the care reliable and fun. i had a hellcat so i want it just as fast or faster. loving the sleeper sedan look thou

had the HeartBeat from Maggie back in 2015/2016. at the time, probably one of the best if not the best PD blower for our LS engines. Fast forward to today with a Harrop 2650 and the difference is night and day. IAT's are better, HP and Tq is way up, and it is more that I or most people will ever need. I am pushing 18 lbs of boost but this could be 10 and be even cooler. and still get big power. just a thought.
How much is the Harrop 2650?

no prob. im still trying to decide what i choose myself
I didn't even consider Harrop, do to my own ignorance to this whole performance workd of options. I went with a whipple...just waiting on it.

Reactions: RetiredRR
Discussion starter · #27 ·
I didn't even consider Harrop, do to my own ignorance to this whole performance workd of options. I went with a whipple...just waiting on it.
Yeah i taking the car in today to get looked over and dynoed, since it gas other things done to it when i bought it. And might arrange a supercharger install with them. Gonna be long day sitting around...

On the positive, you have a lot of great options, because “LS3.” I don’t think I’ve read any really bad experiences on the forum from anyone that went the PD route. Installs are fairly straightforward and the biggest issues have been getting the tune right and cooling at higher power levels (600hp+). Key is finding a good tuner with lots of experience with LS engines, not Joe down the street that tuned a Mustang once…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 15SuperSport
Curious as well...LS3 SBE/Stock HEAD/LTH
Thinking about building out a basic stock LSA kit to bolt on for some slight bump in HP. Without going too far into the rabbit hole of building a motor.
Stock LSA GM parts + LTH, LSA/LS9 Cam worth doing?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Curious as well...LS3 SBE/Stock HEAD/LTH
Thinking about building out a basic stock LSA kit to bolt on for some slight bump in HP. Without going too far into the rabbit hole of building a motor.
Stock LSA GM parts + LTH, LSA/LS9 Cam worth doing?
From what i hear the LSA is cheaper the mag runs cooler, but it really wont matter. Also apparently the LSA has higher power possibilities. I love the cam thats in mine car sounds amazing gets alot of attention too.

From what i hear the LSA is cheaper the mag runs cooler, but it really wont matter. Also apparently the LSA has higher power possibilities. I love the cam thats in mine car sounds amazing gets alot of attention too.
Yeah i figure I can piece together a kit for 4-6...install it myself. Just need to figure out if Cam/Converter are worth doing.

600hp should work on the stock bottom end. Start approaching 700 and you'll probably want to start looking at forged internals and other major upgrades. You can technically do that at 600 just to be safe if you want to spend the money.

LSA if you want good power that has a lot of available replacement parts and knowledge from people, and you don't want to spend a lot. Doesn't need a hood change like you heard, it'll just make a small indentation in the fire blanket, no worries.

Whipple, Harrop, or Magnuson if you want more power-capability than that and still have a roots-style blower.

Procharger if you want something that builds power more like a turbo-setup than the others listed above.

Custom turbo for massive power, but you'll need a loooot of other expensive upgrades if you are reaching for high power levels. This isn't necessary if you're only doing the 600hp like you said.

I have an LSA since I wasn't chasing high numbers and just wanted a nice, reliable setup that I could easily find parts if they break. Plus it looks factory on this car (should have come with an LSA option from the start honestly, but I understand the logistics to do that wouldn't make much sense). I would have done Procharger if I wanted more power. But I got my entire build bought, installed, tuned, and shipped all for only a little bit more than just buying the other superchargers, and that was all I needed. Around $9k total for everything involved and couldn't be happier!

You can view my build here, but looks like you will be chasing higher numbers than me: smann's LSA Build!
I have essentially the same experience with my LSA, about 8K but I tuned it myself. Stock pulley on my LSA and I dyno'r last month to about 510whp on 91 octane with everything else stock including exhaust and cats.

My build.can also be searched online.

I wouldn't worry about the converter unless you're going to drag race it and care a lot about the ET.

nice. yeah if im over 600 its fine it just want the care reliable and fun. i had a hellcat so i want it just as fast or faster. loving the sleeper sedan look thou
i believe lingenfelter has a 650 HP package that involves just adding the magnuson supercharger and some fiddling with heads and cams and such for 16,695.00 (described in detail on their site - lingenfelter.com).

Ordered my LSA kit and it should be here in about a month. I went the LSA route because it was the best deal for the power I'm looking for (500+ WHP). And, it was at the top end of what I could afford since I also had to upgrade to green cats.

Reactions: dDUBb and ssseda
i went with whipple kit ! great for daily IMO

setup is rotofab intake, kooks headers , kooks full exhaust no cats , solo performace catback and
whipple kit with stock 4 inch pulley , custom
hp tune with stock fuel system only whipple injectors
8lbs of boost did 545 hp 523 torque
( live south texas and it was 100 F that day )

If you want reliable and fun, don't go for max power. Also, while too much horsepower is just about enough it doesn't do you much good if you can't put it down. At 550rwp you can break the back end loose at highway speeds.

I'm not hearing noticeable whine from my Whipple in the cabin, but I'm kind of deaf in that frequency range. I understand it does vary from one to the other of otherwise identical SCs. Some videos you can really hear the whine, in others you can't.
However, and more importantly, The Passenger has never made any comments about whine or anything different after that upgrade aside from "It's a lot louder why do you like that you're such a child I don't get it not it doesn't sound good like you say it's just annoying"...or something similar.

Here's a tuner's page with videos of just SS dynos, these guys do mostly Whipples and Prochargers: https://www.facebook.com/page/225781994135783/search/?q=chevy ss

Reactions: ssseda
For me, it will be Magnuson. I had a bad experience in the past supercharging a car that was basically the same deal as doing an LSA where the supercharger itself will go right on and give no problem but all the other stuff has to be made to work. So I will never go that route. I've seen tons of cars and trucks that have had Magnuson superchargers on them for 10 years and 100k miles so whatever extra it costs is worth it.

My desire is to put the stock cam back in and do a Magnuson and hopefully make maybe 50 more HP than it has now but with stock drivability.

Interestingly, the Whipple on my car whines pretty righteously under boost. Like make a Hellcat blush whining. I coudn't hear it at all with the stock airbox, but with both open filter arrangements, it's been nicely audible.

Reactions: dDUBb and ssseda
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.