Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into supercharging my 2016 SS its has a few things done
not looking really to change the hood. I looking to get 600hp as a daily.

which blower you think will be better and why.

do i need to put forged internals in this?

what been your experience with either one of these.

any imput would help from people that been down this road. appreciate any intel or advise.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Procharge. Think about the easy button! 600 wheel with a kit and no extras. But you won't stop there. Take my word. Fish flies real bad on lake Erie now. Maybe record setting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Procharge. Think about the easy button! 600 wheel with a kit and no extras. But you won't stop there. Take my word. Fish flies real bad on lake Erie now. Maybe record setting.
Any brands u reccomend in that? I used to have a hellcat so fellnin love with blower whine personally. I have other work done to the car as well. In cluding headers cam and injectors and few other items

·
Super Moderator
8,671 Posts
Chances are that whatever supercharger people are running is going to be their answer, so it's kind of a vote scenario at this point. I would also consider the Whipple as well, many an SS owner pleased with it.

Reactions: RetiredRR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chances are that whatever supercharger people are running is going to be their answer, so it's kind of a vote scenario at this point. I would also consider the Whipple as well, many an SS owner pleased with it.
Its just i been told to look into these. It seems lsa run hotter. And need hood changes.. and magnuson are dont require that and run cooler. I just wanted ro hear how it went for the people that did this. New to adding boost to a na car. I had pre boosted cars in the past. Looking to get a nice power increase while not pushijg the motor to hard as a daily

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
311 Posts
I've put ~50K miles on mine with a Whipple, exhaust, fuel system mods, and tuning. No internal mods. Valve covers haven't been off. No leaks, no quirks, no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The max effort guys running the 1320' quite often seem to prefer the LSA, which requires cobbling together number of parts, although I think there was a place selling complete kits. But the Whipple and Maggie as complete kits seem to be preferred for the daily driver cars and are well designed setups.

Do you need a built motor, not necessarily, LS's are known for being stout and 600hp isn't pushing a stock one. Tune will be critical for longevity so make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing. That said there's always going to be higher risk of failure when boosting a stock motor so be prepared the day may come when you're going to need a new shortblock.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy SS HW
134 Posts
600whp is fine on stock internal, stock cam. As for LSA vs magnuson, people go LSA because at one point they were the cheapest option to pull parts from a wrecked car. Also the aspect of OEM spec S/C and mostly a bolt-on upgrade. You don't need to modify the hood to install a LSA either or any of the super chargers in our cars. LSA build out is still probably a couple K cheaper than a Magnuson kit.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Any brands u reccomend in that? I used to have a hellcat so fellnin love with blower whine personally. I have other work done to the car as well. In cluding headers cam and injectors and few other items
Blower whine is fun. I'm a big fan of the Procharger whistle and big red blowoff valve though as well. I went Magnuson but I don't know if there's a wrong answer. They should all be able to get you where you want to be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah im not worried about money tbh. i just want will give me what im looking for without too much engine work or body work. i inherited this car with a few mods already so im trying to make sure i dont over step on the car limits. gonna go get it tuned and checked out. i got the reduced engine power alert and an o2 senor code. rn

·
Registered
3 Posts
had the HeartBeat from Maggie back in 2015/2016. at the time, probably one of the best if not the best PD blower for our LS engines. Fast forward to today with a Harrop 2650 and the difference is night and day. IAT's are better, HP and Tq is way up, and it is more that I or most people will ever need. I am pushing 18 lbs of boost but this could be 10 and be even cooler. and still get big power. just a thought.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,872 Posts
I like the Whipple design, albeit I’m not too fond of the whistle sound of any blower. Even so, I still admire them. 😐

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
311 Posts
The Reduced Power thing is almost certainly related to the tuner messing with the drive-by-wire settings. You have to be some kind of savant to mess with those and not occasionally get "reduced power."

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
The reduced power could be related to the throttle blade not being where it’s supposed to be in relation to the actuator. It’s 2101 problem. Well documented.
also doesn’t matter if the setting a were stock or changed it could happen. It’s a flutter on the blade while it’s trying to do a test

The Reduced Power thing is almost certainly related to the tuner messing with the drive-by-wire settings. You have to be some kind of savant to mess with those and not occasionally get "reduced power."

I’m lsa and not partial. If I had the funds to do what I want now it would be the new magnuson 2650 using the lsa belt drive system.

The most important part on deciding on what system to use it not the system itself but the cooling efficiency. Make sure you have an adequate pump and heat exchanger and routed correctly. You should have a reservoir for reserve cold water not exposed to the engine bay to absorb heat like a hot water tank in your house.

Either supercharger you decide to get build the best cooling system you can around the blower.

Reactions: RetiredRR

·
Super Moderator
8,671 Posts
yeah im not worried about money tbh.
Anybody done the Whipple 3.0 in an SS yet? Always fun to be first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i heard cooling is a thing to look into. I was told i need to find out my iets or something. Im new to this. Gonna take the car in this week to get ky o2 tuned out and look into the teduced power. They gor rid of it once so im gonna see what they can do. If i feel they do well i may talk to them about the blower install.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
600hp should work on the stock bottom end. Start approaching 700 and you'll probably want to start looking at forged internals and other major upgrades. You can technically do that at 600 just to be safe if you want to spend the money.

LSA if you want good power that has a lot of available replacement parts and knowledge from people, and you don't want to spend a lot. Doesn't need a hood change like you heard, it'll just make a small indentation in the fire blanket, no worries.

Whipple, Harrop, or Magnuson if you want more power-capability than that and still have a roots-style blower.

Procharger if you want something that builds power more like a turbo-setup than the others listed above.

Custom turbo for massive power, but you'll need a loooot of other expensive upgrades if you are reaching for high power levels. This isn't necessary if you're only doing the 600hp like you said.

I have an LSA since I wasn't chasing high numbers and just wanted a nice, reliable setup that I could easily find parts if they break. Plus it looks factory on this car (should have come with an LSA option from the start honestly, but I understand the logistics to do that wouldn't make much sense). I would have done Procharger if I wanted more power. But I got my entire build bought, installed, tuned, and shipped all for only a little bit more than just buying the other superchargers, and that was all I needed. Around $9k total for everything involved and couldn't be happier!

You can view my build here, but looks like you will be chasing higher numbers than me: smann's LSA Build!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
600hp should work on the stock bottom end. Start approaching 700 and you'll probably want to start looking at forged internals and other major upgrades. You can technically do that at 600 just to be safe if you want to spend the money.

LSA if you want good power that has a lot of available replacement parts and knowledge from people, and you don't want to spend a lot. Doesn't need a hood change like you heard, it'll just make a small indentation in the fire blanket, no worries.

Whipple, Harrop, or Magnuson if you want more power-capability than that and still have a roots-style blower.

Procharger if you want something that builds power more like a turbo-setup than the others listed above.

Custom turbo for massive power, but you'll need a loooot of other expensive upgrades if you are reaching for high power levels. This isn't necessary if you're only doing the 600hp like you said.

I have an LSA since I wasn't chasing high numbers and just wanted a nice, reliable setup that I could easily find parts if they break. Plus it looks factory on this car (should have come with an LSA option from the start honestly, but I understand the logistics to do that wouldn't make much sense). I would have done Procharger if I wanted more power. But I got my entire build bought, installed, tuned, and shipped all for only a little bit more than just buying the other superchargers, and that was all I needed. Around $9k total for everything involved and couldn't be happier!

You can view my build here, but looks like you will be chasing higher numbers than me: smann's LSA Build!
excellent insight. appreciate the info. yeah right now its got a few things on it and taking it to a dyno tomorrow and get those errors looked at. if i learn anything more ill defiantly update. hope to be talking about the power increase soon

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am looking into supercharging my 2016 SS its has a few things done
not looking really to change the hood. I looking to get 600hp as a daily.

which blower you think will be better and why.

do i need to put forged internals in this?

what been your experience with either one of these.

any imput would help from people that been down this road. appreciate any intel or advise.
sent my 2016 manual to Lingenfelter for a LS7 block and LS3 heads with a magnuson supercharger (it fits under the hood) - gave me 700HP and 695 torque at the crank - works nicely as a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts