Chevy SS Forum banner

1161 - 1178 of 1178 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Willy, you are a racer... No winding country/mountain roads in your area? Are you and your VF not getting enough playtime together?...

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Did you go for a ride yet?? I'm curious how is it doing.
I don't seem to hear this" road noise" you guys keep talking about. I either hear the sound of my engine/exhaust or the stereo. What road noise?
Just got back from a drive out to Brazos Brazos Bend State Park, was a wonderful getaway from the mishigash going on. Plus, there's some great straightaways as well as some 90deg banked turns that you can see all the way through, standard close in fun drive.

The verdict is in: The Krakatollah said the car is noticibly quieter, conversation was easier...at least on the smooth road.
There were a few sections of freeway where tire noise was very pronounced (rain grooves). Combined with the brisk cross-wind the road noise (including wind) was significant. I can't help but wonder if there's some odd acoustic anomaly now from the insulation, or it could be I've not been on that stretch of road for a while and certainly haven't paid such close attention to noise as right before/after this project.
On smooth blacktop the car was much quieter while cruising (sport and perf mode). Under mild throttle there is still some drone but not as imposing as before. Very minimal road noise although still some wind noise, I may do the doors some time in the future.

I did download a sound meter app for my phone right before starting the installation and the app didn't work well so blew that off. Sounds better to me, will write more in a new thread.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a Solo Extreme Race Cat Back and was growing a little tired of how loud the exhaust was inside my car during city driving so I applied Kilmat on the lower rear deck inside the trunk and behind all the rear seat as OP showed in the photo last year. The difference was noticeable but with me installing the Solo high flow cats yesterday I knew the exhaust would get even louder so I decided to quiet it up further by applying Noico mat in the entire spare tire well and on trunk floor. Now laying on the trunk floor under the OEM tire cover mat is a 350 mil closed foam sheet attached to MLV. I’ll be interested to hear the decrease in sound now with my latest revision once I get my intake manifold reinstalled on the car this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,700 Posts
Willy, you are a racer... No winding country/mountain roads in your area? Are you and your VF not getting enough playtime together?...
You are correct! Fortunately I live at the base of Baldwin Hills in L.A., and Blvds on both sides of me that go up and over the hills that I drive on the way to work everyday. When traffic allows it,(saturdays) I get to do some canyon carving and sometimes hit triple digits! So, I'm ok for now, but, I should go for a long drive, someday.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
put it on the Deltran Battery Tender Plus since I won't be driving mine for a bit...

Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
Trying to keep things as normal as possible for my son. Woke up this morning and my son (10yo) and I detailed and washed the car. First time since I had it ceramic coated/clear bra applied. All I can say is wow!! Cleaned up super easy, looks amazing. Then we took it on a drive and stretched her legs a bit. Ran by a look out for a photo op above the Port of Benicia (where all of our cars landed in the US from Australia) here in town. Will take it out for a spin likely later this week. Least the roads are empty......

IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0421.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Today was a fine day to change out my PBM’s blown right rear shock absorber. She drives well again. Thanks to the forum members who have posted helpful comments and Summit Racing for next day delivery! Perfect timing for a drive heading out on I-10 West tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dropped the trans pan to change the filter, just to find out the one I bought from rockauto was too tall and had to put the old one back in. Got that reinstalled, filled, installed circle d triple disc converter and then got the engine put back in. Bellhousing bolts are tight just sitting on the mounts loose. Waiting on a friend to come over to help me get the headers in.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Trying to keep things as normal as possible for my son. Woke up this morning and my son (10yo) and I detailed and washed the car. First time since I had it ceramic coated/clear bra applied. All I can say is wow!! Cleaned up super easy, looks amazing. Then we took it on a drive and stretched her legs a bit. Ran by a look out for a photo op above the Port of Benicia (where all of our cars landed in the US from Australia) here in town. Will take it out for a spin likely later this week. Least the roads are empty......
Wow, looks really good. Bring that beast to the valley!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Wednesday, I started the reassembly process on the trans. Put everything in the parts washer - and ran into an issue with that. Damn thing wouldn’t recycle - spent a huge chunk of the day futzing with it. Any who, round two is today. The pump is on the bench, going to install upgrade parts from Sonnax...then the valve body. The clutches and steels will me soaking in tranny fluid, so when final assembly begins, I’ll be good to go

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Welp, need some more tools, so we assembled as much as we could - stay tuned lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Drove across South Mexico today, and in doing so met another Holden on the road.

I was traveling at a good clip, when a black PPV or Caprice, in full looking police setup pulled up close behind me. I truly about sh!t my pants. Was a police cruiser, had the outside mounted spotlight, looked like light bars at the top of the windshield. Closer look, and saw Holden badges. He proceeds to whip out into the left lane and hammers it, and it is noisy, get a look at the tag, and not a police agency, no markings on the car. So I follow from a good distance, then he slows to a crawl, get next to him and he lowers the window and gives a thumbs up, and a big smile, not a cop.

Needless to say I followed him at a high rate of speed for some time, and it was like the parting of the red sea, all the left lane slow pokes got out of the way thinking he was a cop. I had the time of my life on that drive. Once in a life time experience for sure.

Just wonder if he is on this forum????? Thanks buddy for the fun....

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Rear half of the trans is done. Need one more tool which will be here tomorrow. Once that’s here, pop in the front half, do the valve body and pump and that’ll be that

·
Registered
2016 Mystic Green
706 Posts
Not to today, but last week.

After 28,000 miles, had the original tires replaced, went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06
all season tires at the factory spec's.

Had the oil changed at 42% life remaining.

Alignment, balance, tires, disposal, all other fees included, with the oil change, was around $1,200.

Since I used our GM card, got $200.00 back on a rebate.

I think I really like the Continental's so far after about 200 miles, I'll post to the appropriate thread about tires later.

I am very thankful my dealership was open for service, I am lucky, able to purchase such a extraordinary car from them,
then to have the SS maintained to the highest standards by them, I continue to be blessed in that respect.

Raining here, going to take the SS out shorty to give it a test with the new tires while it is wet.

No worries, I will keep 6 feet from everything :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Several things in the last week or so since I'm stuck at home not working. Washed the car for the first time since the end of Fall, man it needed it badly. Now it's looking like it's true self again. Still need to detail the inside, along with my wife's car as well, and I want to wash it again to clay bar it. Was also able to install the Holden mud flaps finally after getting them for Christmas, was pretty easy to do. Next will be dipping the Holden grill and rear emblem (also received for Christmas). I'm hoping to do that this week. And finally for my catch up all post, took it for a new cruise around a few old towns for about 1.5 hours yesterday to enjoy the nice weather while I'm still allowed to actually leave my house (did not stop anywhere). Found a few twisties, not as nice as Shenandoah, but it was quite enjoyable to get that kind of seat time in the SS.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
The SS sat dormant in the garage for over a week, so I started debating whether to hook up the trickle charger or take it for a spin (not a literal one). The decision was quite obvious, so I drove to Costco to stock up (used up the back seat as well) and spent another hour or so tooling around Greenville County with multiple stops in search of toilet paper. No luck, but had a lot of fun driving briskly on roads that are normally clogged with traffic.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Got a battery charger, curbside pickup at the auto parts store. (Last charger drowned during Harvey.) Seems to work well. A bit too automatic for me but it's simple, compact, and quiet.

1161 - 1178 of 1178 Posts