2,627 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

Test fit the driveshaft loop. Seems to be a winner

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Installed Kilmat sound insulation on trunk lid and rear seat. Close to completion. Think I'll post up a how-to thread based on this DIY-impaired klutz's experience.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Finished the tear down of my original trans (finally got around to it) and got a nice little surprise

Ha ha whoops

That would explain the sudden loss of 3rd gear a couple years back

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Finished the tear down of my original trans (finally got around to it) and got a nice little surprise
Ha ha whoops
That would explain the sudden loss of 3rd gear a couple years back
Help us out. What are we looking at?
With what did you replace your original trans?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I believe that shaft should be attached to that gear, could be wrong.....

Very clean break....

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,700 Posts
Looks like a 3rd gear clutch hub. The cltches fit along the outside grooves.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Installed Kilmat sound insulation on trunk lid and rear seat. Close to completion. Think I'll post up a how-to thread based on this DIY-impaired klutz's experience.

View attachment 280743

View attachment 280744
Oyyy, looks quite tedious....
Ira, let us know how noticeable the improvement is and for which types of noises/conditions -- road texture? exhaust drone? expansion joints? etc. The car can certainly use some help in the noise (as opposed to sound) department.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That’s the intermediate shaft...the 4-5-6 clutch hub goes over it with clutches in between the two. The broken part of the shaft goes to the output. Keep in mind I’m over simplifying this. The 1-2-3-4 and 2-6/3-5-R are after - or on the back side of the busted shaft, so basically 1-2-R is all I had once that sucker snapped.

I replaced the original trans temporarily with a Caprice trans, which stayed in the car an additional 15 - 20k (lost track lol) miles. I ordered a set of bearings and a billet intermediate shaft and hub, which will be here Thursday and already had some better clutches, steels and main pump/valve body pistons waiting to go in the original trans. Oh yeah, I also have better clutch hub pistons as well.

I can say this - I had to rebuild TH350s in school and these modern automatics are way simpler to work on lol. If you have everything on hand, I think cleaning and lubing the parts takes longer than actually assembling this trans. Looking forward to getting it back together.

Hope that info was useful

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Finished up installing Kilmat under the trunk lids, back seat, and inside spare tire well. Did not do sides of boot compartment nor under rear speaker deck. Suppose I'll post up a How-To in that forum as I didn't find a very complete guide in one place here. There are some lessons learned.

I had low expectations for satisfying results going into this project, and at a minimum did meet or exceed them. Passenger cabin is quieter, I need a passenger to test improvement. Drone is noticeably reduced while cruising, not as much as hoped under mild throttle. Road noise may be more obvious now with drone reduced, could have had something to do with road and wind conditions. I'd still like to do the doors...maybe.

Spare Tire Well:

Rear Seat:
Oyyy, looks quite tedious....
Tedious and wonderfully so. It kept me away from the unfolding TEOTWAWKI chatter on screens everywhere.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Double post, @Administrator we don't have permission to clean up after ourselves.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Finished up installing Kilmat under the trunk lids, back seat, and inside spare tire well. Did not do sides of boot compartment nor under rear speaker deck. Suppose I'll post up a How-To in that forum as I didn't find a very complete guide in one place here. There are some lessons learned.

I had low expectations for satisfying results going into this project, and at a minimum did meet or exceed them. Passenger cabin is quieter, I need a passenger to test improvement. Drone is noticeably reduced while cruising, not as much as hoped under mild throttle. Road noise may be more obvious now with drone reduced, could have had something to do with road and wind conditions. I'd still like to do the doors...maybe.

Spare Tire Well:
View attachment 280809

Rear Seat:
View attachment 280810
Tedious and wonderfully so. It kept me away from the unfolding TEOTWAWKI chatter on screens everywhere.
Did you go for a ride yet?? I'm curious how is it doing.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I plan to do that to mine(one day), and when I do, it will include the deck behind the rear seat where the woofers are, 'cause mine rattle like crazy on some songs. I don't seem to hear this" road noise" you guys keep talking about. I either hear the sound of my engine/exhaust or the stereo. What road noise?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes, see above.
Oooops, sorry I missed it.
A bit surprising/disappointing re the road noise. Personally that's my main gripe, but I drive most of the time in Tour mode except on mountain road blitzkriegs, so maybe that's why the drone doesn't bother me that much.
Kudos for this undertaking!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I plan to do that to mine(one day), and when I do, it will include the deck behind the rear seat where the woofers are, 'cause mine rattle like crazy on some songs. I don't seem to hear this" road noise" you guys keep talking about. I either hear the sound of my engine/exhaust or the stereo. What road noise?
Two types: Continuous loud drone on rough texture surfaces, mostly concrete, and loud impact noise on sharp bumps, such as expansion joints, railroad crossings, potholes etc. Both worse than "industry average", if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I'll have to turn the stereo down and check it out. Nearly all of my driving is around town, I might get on the freeway once a month.

1141 - 1160 of 1178 Posts