Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
There were 4 of us working on the car. Yes it comes with a base tune but some changes were needed for the cam. Its not very difficult. Theres a few bolts on the SC that are difficult to get to but other than that it went fairly smooth. Took less than a full day.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Did you help on the install?
or do most of it?
How difficult was it and what would you say was the most difficult part.
I've done plenty of NA engine work but never done any FI kits on cars.

Does it come with a tune? or did you have to do a custom one for the cam?
The install was fairly easy but the instructions whipple sends really suck. if you are not changing cams it shouldn't take as long as we took. you will need to cut and grind parts to make them fit.

yes it comes with a SCT Tuner to install the base line tune prior to install. it was tuned by TXSS after we started it and he was able to read the ECM and get a baseline.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have been wondering about expected time with the Whipple install. Is your 11.21 on street or drag radials?

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
275/40/17 drag radials. Not near enough tire for the job. With the right tire and traction it wil go 10.80's

·
Registered
289 Posts
Does it break loose when you punch it going highway speeds?

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Whipple being installed at Whipple------

Here I am at Art Whipple's 'Respiratory Therapy Facility' with the man himself. He is on my right side for those that haven't seen enough of my mug on here yet. A true gentleman. He gave my wife and I a good look at his personnal project '57 Chevy. LS9 powered but 'Whipple-ized'. And we bench raced for a while then he took my wife and I to the Amtrak station. This was the beginning of a real "E-Ticket" ride!! Can't wait for next Friday!!

View attachment 21314

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Friday? Long wait... ;)
Yes, it will be a very long week. Gotta get used to driving the 'Urban Assault Vehicle'(Suburban) for a week as a daily driver. Had to do it for 7 1/2 months waiting for my SS. No biggie. I did talk to Art about getting some action on our forum. I mentioned to him that he is a vendor, so why not. And that we have not heard directly from Whipple Industries. I asked him to put some pictures of my install, vids of the dyno pulls, etc. He said he would have his guys do that. As far as getting the job done on time, I do not have any worries. I have a train ticket back to Fresno early Friday morning. Art will pick me up. Too bad the drive home on a Friday afternoon will be somewhat slow due to the commute traffic. 147 miles of it!!! Yuck!!

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
I'm BLOWN !!!!!!!! WOW, the 'Silver Bullet' is a real beast. I just love that whine coming from her at idle. And even more when you give her some air. At 70 you can still hear it slightly. The job was done very professionally and on time. Looks like a factory install. The hood liner had to go because it contacts the top of the blower. The ride home was uneventful, performed flawlessly for the whole 150 miles. Traffic on 99 north was a mess. But another highlight of the trip was that I saw a car transporter heading south just south of Merced on 99. On the back end was three 2015 SS's. White, silver and black. So someones day is going to be very good today. I noticed my acceleration times from 65 to 95 was blinding quick now. It was always quick, we know that but now?? WOW. My MPG I feel has improved at 75 MPH. This is all with the stock air box but with a K&N element. Trip on way down was 19.5 MPG at 75-80. Trip home, blown, 20.6 at 75-80. I'll be putting my Roto-Fab back in today. I will have to modify the 'snorkel' as was reported by TXSS to clear the I/C tank. With a stock engine, stock exhaust, stock air box== 353.31 rwhp and 363.27 tq. With blower, stock engine, stock exhaust, stock air box==527.44 rwhp and 476.30 tq. This is on a 'Dynojet' dyno. However, I will be consulting a local tuner that has done a lot of work on LS engines to better refine the tune. In the meantime I'm going read some more posts and then go open the hood and hope no one is looking----LOL

·
Super Moderator
14,643 Posts
Congrats, Jere.
Man, you're giving me a hunger that I won't be able to satisfy -- :(
Oh well, ANY SS, even bone stock, is still the best ride around.! LOL
Have fun with the steroid beast! Oh, and happy hunting!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.