Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
oh sweet, I didn't realize a K&N drop in filter did anything, I feel totally good about having one in my car now!

I hated the oily feel of it...and it was pink/purple in color...ew

·
Registered
857 Posts
oh sweet, I didn't realize a K&N drop in filter did anything, I feel totally good about having one in my car now!

I hated the oily feel of it...and it was pink/purple in color...ew
The higher flow from the filter is exacerbated when you use forced induction.
Might not do much on a NA car but it will show up on a FAI car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If one were to go this route, "With AirRaid CAI / ARH headers and catted X pipe / 3.875 pulley 600 RWHP" - what other supporting mods should I be thinking about, in other words, breakage protection? Auto Trans and Axles should be ok...?

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Welcome!
Does your system fit well under the hood without having to trim the hood liner?

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Welcome!
Does your system fit well under the hood without having to trim the hood liner?
it does fit (close) but the pulley will rub the liner and cause it to rip. easy fix is too get a smaller pulley. 8psi is 4.00 and 10psi is 3.85.

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
If one were to go this route, "With AirRaid CAI / ARH headers and catted X pipe / 3.875 pulley 600 RWHP" - what other supporting mods should I be thinking about, in other words, breakage protection? Auto Trans and Axles should be ok...?
I would stray away from the airRaid. We made the Rotofab box work with the whipple kit. Some of the lung had to be trimmed so it would clear Whipple's supplied blower coolant tank. I think it actually increases flow as the section we cut out just about tripled in size from the original opening in the lung. You should be close to 600 on the stock cam and bolt ons with a 3.875 pulley. It will be close. Wes's car trapped 126mph with bolt ons, converter, and LS9 cam on the 4.00 pulley (8psi) which is right around 600rwhp.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would stray away from the airRaid. We made the Rotofab box work with the whipple kit. Some of the lung had to be trimmed so it would clear Whipple's supplied blower coolant tank. I think it actually increases flow as the section we cut out just about tripled in size from the original opening in the lung. You should be close to 600 on the stock cam and bolt ons with a 3.875 pulley. It will be close. Wes's car trapped 126mph with bolt ons, converter, and LS9 cam on the 4.00 pulley (8psi) which is right around 600rwhp.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Did you help on the install?
or do most of it?
How difficult was it and what would you say was the most difficult part.
I've done plenty of NA engine work but never done any FI kits on cars.

Does it come with a tune? or did you have to do a custom one for the cam?

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you only install what is with the kit I believe they include a canned tune that will give you decent power and still be fairly safe. If you do any real engine work the included tune with the kit obviously won't be enough.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.