Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear SS Community Members,

Over the past year, we have been working to improve the overall user experience on our sites.

After extensive research and investigation into our options, we would like to announce that we will be upgrading and migrating our sites to a new forum management software. We have worked with a design and product development team to enhance Xenforo and provide a modern and much better performing platform. We will no longer be using third-party applications and plug-ins to add features and products to the sites. Instead, we build them ourselves so we can better manage and maintain them moving forward.

We really wanted to focus on creating a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating, by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

I bet you’re thinking, “Well, what does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that you may have been experiencing. We have used the feedback we have received from the community to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ads will be less intrusive and fit with the general layout. The site will be responsive - no longer will you need to use a mobile skin! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

To ensure the site functions better overall, some plugins and products may not migrate. The Community Management team is here to support you through this transition. We would continually like your feedback and input as we continue to build new features and updates for the community.

When will this be happening? As soon as possible! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. We will be keeping you updated as promised. We are looking at a two to three week turn around, but the date is subject to how much information needs to be mapped for the site and migration efforts.

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Ssforums.com will be migrated to our new platform on Wednesday, October 16th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~ Community Support

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thank you !

hopefully it includes functionality for improved block lists to reduce spam.

thanks

ppp

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
G8Board.com did the same. If you want to see how it works check out the site and read the comments.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Alas! Was wondering when this clean, easy to use and get acquainted format would change per the geeksters (Adnins) intro statements,ala, clear up problems (?? problems, etc.). I belong to 3 other forums 'housed' by the Canadian firm VerticalScope, like this SS forum, representing other vehicles owned. Immediately noticed will be no pics in your avitar. Your signature info goes into hide&seek mode. New posts won't automatically appear as first thing to read. Yet to figure out how your car pic can be restored to the signature block. The tool (for search, etc) link hard to find. Really don't/won't like what coming ahead here.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Made a visit to the new G8board site as a guest (lost access to my account) didn't like it, the current format here is much better.

Found this thread on g8board, not much if any love for the change, found some wait and see posts but most where negative, the fact they locked the thread says a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
This Is Not Good!!!!

My son and I are on the G8 Board and I can tell you that it,,,,, SUX NOW!!! I fear we may lose much of the granular look and feel that makes this board,,, despite its peccadilloes,,, MUCH more functional than the layout they are forcing on us!!! I am afraid we will likley alienate many of the members that are critically necessary to support traffic numbers on this site!!!! The loss of an easy link to active topics will be a game changer and a bad thing. You will have to search drop down menus instead of clear direct links on the landing pages!!!!

This is going to "Dumb Down" the site to the Lowest Common Denominator!!!! BUT hey,,,, its all about them mobile phones after all, isn't it!!! You wont need a skin to use the site on your phone!!!! B.F.D!!!

:crying

·
Registered
485 Posts
coloradofans.com did this a few months ago. There were some users that disappeared due to the change. Over time they were able to add some missing features back. There is a "trending discussions" area and a "popular" in addition to "new posts". The only real hang up in my eyes is that the search becomes pretty much useless and you have to use Google to search the site.

·
Registered
368 Posts
SSR Fanatic site went down this hole a few months ago. Some members said they were packing it in for good (though some are still around). Was not a fan favorite. I'm still not entirely sold on it either.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Please no. The forums that have moved to the new software really suck. I don't even get on them any more.
Yep....all because the need for a small screen version, more or less.

I will be lost when this "coming change" happens....I noted the issue with the G8 board, and immediately felt that I had been abandoned. So much for the "lifetime member" donations I've made.

William Harper @ Chevy SS Forum
Subject: [Pontiac G8 Forum] Forum format
SEP 23, 2019 | 06:39PM EDT
Phil B. replied:
The site software is different now so there is no way to show a classic view. We make updates to the format based on user feedback.
-Philip
SEP 23, 2019 | 05:09PM EDT
Original message
Pontiac wrote:

The following message has been sent from inov8rPPV <[email protected]> ([email protected]) (IP: 40.138.164.54) via the contact form at Pontiac G8 Forum (https://www.g8board.com/).

****** Forum format ******

Cannot fathom what or who pushed for the revised format - previously there were options to select a format, which I prefer the "classic" version. Do not see the ability to make that selection. This change is not really going to work for me, as navigating the old system was quite easy and made sense for me.....please tell me there is an option to switch to classic/old/original format, or I'm afraid I'm not going to have much desire to participate in the future. Very discouraging!

-----------------------------

Visit Pontiac G8 Forum: https://www.g8board.com/
This message was sent to [email protected] in reference to Case #: 3951847.

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
I am no tech nerd!!!

All that content, all that effort.....wasted.

My e-mail is posted and still works, if it comes to anyone wishing to reach me.

Apparently this can't be stopped.....
I just went over to the g8 board to take a look. How in the h3ll do these people, the site developers, think that making something more complex is better?? Don't their thumbs get tired enough 'texting' everything?? And running into everything while doing it?? I agree with all the comments that are critical of this move and in particular to the one member here asking "why did the 'We are moving' thread get closed" on the G8 board?? I can see why. We as humans are resistant to change. I agree. However, this 'change' for the better is beyond my comprehension!! I have enough trouble figuring out my new TV remote here in Abilene!! I guess I'd better spend some time as a guest on the G8 board to figure this latest created upcoming mess out!! I have been here on this board for quite some time and enjoy viewing and participating. The one question I have is the same as one poster said---"Why no 'classic' view?" I am not controllable in this way! That is why I moved to Texas!! They tried this crap on me in 'CaliZuela'.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep....all because the need for a small screen version, more or less.
Most mobile-versions of websites are terrible on any phone I've had. I always have to switch to desktop view/ full version (SS forum included) to be able to navigate properly. By contrast, the mobile versions are slow, glitchy, and always have these huge headers and footers that enlarge when you try to zoom in, making whatever you're trying to view or read almost impossible.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Please, NO VerticalScope platform.

I echo what others have said about the functionality, or NON-functionality, and user-UNfriendliness of VerticalScope.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Please do not make this change. The format is horrible. I absolutely hate sites that are formatted for small cell phones and I totally blame Apple for this movement since all they offered, for so many years, were those stupidly tiny phones. With a larger, modern sized phone, desktop versions are totally fine. Mobile versions probably help people with tiny phones like the older iphones, but Apple has finally caught up and is offering large phones these days. Barely anyone has the tiny iphones anymore.

·
Administrator
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is going to be, and has been, a bit of a learning curve when it comes to the new format, but in the end it's still going to be forum software. Threads are still threads, posts are posts, pictures are pictures. Buttons might be in a different spot but do the same thing.

The change is necessary for the long term health of the site. We have zero support when it comes to VB 3, and so far have made it work by patch jobs and that's not viable long term

Kevin

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
There is going to be, and has been, a bit of a learning curve when it comes to the new format, but in the end it's still going to be forum software. Threads are still threads, posts are posts, pictures are pictures. Buttons might be in a different spot but do the same thing.

The change is necessary for the long term health of the site. We have zero support when it comes to VB 3, and so far have made it work by patch jobs and that's not viable long term

Kevin

Ehh . . .This reminds me of an old military term I used to hear a lot at work: BOHICA :crying:frown

1 - 20 of 34 Posts