Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Memorial Day package deal today that I ordered from Adams, prompt shipping and a great price, Adams is first class.

Question for others here, do you use any special method to wash your microfiber towels?

Kelly prefers I do not use our washer/dryer for a bunch of "car rags", so I have been going to our local laundry joint and washing them there, plug in a few quarters and have been using the detergent we use at home.

The results have not been good, and I am not sure if I am ruining the fabric or not, and taking chances of scratching the SS.

Maybe I should just consider them "disposable" after a few times and use them for "general cleanup" for the mower and such.

Any tips?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I wash my microfiber towels in a product made for them in my washer at home on the delicate cycle. I dry them in the dryer on low heat. It seems to work real well but I think after a while I may have to invest in more towels and downgrade the ones I have now to use on other things.

I also wash them separately from regular wash loads.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wash my microfiber towels in a product made for them in my washer at home on the delicate cycle. I dry them in the dryer on low heat. It seems to work real well but I think after a while I may have to invest in more towels and downgrade the ones I have now to use on other things.

I also wash them separately from regular wash loads.

What product do you use to wash them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
The only thing I have heard is that you wash them separately from everything else, and use a mild liquid detergent. And, as you said, plan on replacing them every so often.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I've been using Micro-Restore for about 4-years with good results. Just don't use fabric softener, especially those sheets that go in the dryer. This stuff effectively removes most of the solutions I apply to the car, including wax and cleaners. Just don't expect it to remove stains. I use it according to the instructions or in combination with my regular detergent. This bottle goes a long way.

BTW, for polishing I use the larger plush microfiber type and the standard version for washing. While these are not the exact version I have, they are similar. (link 3)

Sidebar: To help maintain fabric softness, I use wool balls in the dryer. The wool is a natural softener of other fabrics.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Restore-Microfiber-Detergent-Concentrate-32oz/dp/B0002SPBXQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527961518&sr=8-3&keywords=micro-restore

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Premium-Softener-Mad-River-Collective/dp/B074F3FK11/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527963019&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=wool+dryer+balls&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Supersized-Professional-Microfiber-Car/dp/B074MLYGN9/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B074MLYGN9&pd_rd_r=f5327386-6693-11e8-8a68-53a9eda2dace&pd_rd_w=d1Nb6&pd_rd_wg=cmHLg&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4014010564823900592&pf_rd_r=HC29MVQT2VMQ1V4AJABA&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HC29MVQT2VMQ1V4AJABA

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
And don't use the fabric softener dryer sheets.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got my Memorial Day package deal today that I ordered from Adams, prompt shipping and a great price, Adams is first class.

Question for others here, do you use any special method to wash your microfiber towels?

Kelly prefers I do not use our washer/dryer for a bunch of "car rags", so I have been going to our local laundry joint and washing them there, plug in a few quarters and have been using the detergent we use at home.

The results have not been good, and I am not sure if I am ruining the fabric or not, and taking chances of scratching the SS.

Maybe I should just consider them "disposable" after a few times and use them for "general cleanup" for the mower and such.

Any tips?

Never use them. They say they dont scratch. Its a lie. They leave micro scratches everywhere u use them on the car.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Welcome to my Office. Get your Microfiber Towels from The Rag Company. Sometimes they're cheaper there, sometimes on Amazon. I have different microfibers for the inside, outside, and rims. The weave material and density is different on each style of Microfiber. When I wash mine, I do it at home and I keep like rags together-NEVER MIX THEM ALL TOGETHER-on the warm/cold Delicate cycle; and I don't use any detergent. There is specially made laundry detergent which is PH balanced sold by Chemical Guys and Adams I think, but I haven't used it nor have I needed to. Dry them for only a few minutes on Delicate and then let them air dry inside the house somewhere. Never use any dryer sheets or fabric softener. DO NOT leave them in the dryer more than a few minutes because the heat fuses the microfibers together which will leave scratches on your car the next time you use them.

After washing with the two-bucket method using a merino wool wash mit beginning at the top and working my way down, I use my leaf blower to get the majority of the water off and then use a Meguiar's Water Magnet for the rest, which work amazing. Keep in mind I cheated and had my car Ceramic Coated so washing and drying is easier for me.

More info than you asked for I know and I'm sorry. Bottom line is, see above for how to wash your microfiber towels, use a Water Magnet for drying, and the microfibers for removing wax and for buffing. If you have any other questions about cleaning/maintenance let me know. That's my novelty.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
The Rag Company is #1! I have heard that most all of the major retailers get theirs from them.
As for washing, there are many threads on the subject on the Adams forums, and videos and instructions at Theragcompany.com I would look there for the best advice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
[/quote]

Never use them. They say they dont scratch. Its a lie. They leave micro scratches everywhere u use them on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

A quality microfiber towel, used correctly, will not scratch.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

So I guess you recommend the California Duster???

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just use Tide Free and Gentle and use a little distilled white vinegar in the "softener". Then dry on low heat. I always wash mine separate by paint towels, interior towels, general purpose towels. You can always use bleach and your washer's cleaning cycle after if your wife complains. But I haven't had any issues with other clothes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A detail guy told me a long time ago to use plain Tide powder to wash my car rags. I use nothing else and like everyone said, no fabric softener, no dryer sheets, etc. Tell Kelly "DON'T TOUCH MY CAR RAGS!" and that you'll wash them as a separate load. Dry as normal.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A detail guy told me a long time ago to use plain Tide powder to wash my car rags. I use nothing else and like everyone said, no fabric softener, no dryer sheets, etc. Tell Kelly "DON'T TOUCH MY CAR RAGS!" and that you'll wash them as a separate load. Dry as normal.

Think I will give Tide a shot and see how it works.

Weather is good enough now, so I can probably hang them outside to dry.

Found out many years ago "telling Kelly" anything, works in reverse.:wink

·
Registered
498 Posts
To add, when I first got a bucket of Adams @ West Coast Corvette in 2002 I recall the instructions said DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER...I still have and use the original 4 yellow towels and the drying towel, maybe because of my washing habits.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
Don’t use powder detergent! If any of those granules don't dissolve they will stick to the towel and damage the paint!

Tide free and clear is a good choice. Don’t use anything with additives. No bleach or softener. And clean the machine before putting your good microfiber in to get rid of the leftovers from the previous wash!
Don’t mix microfiber with any other material.
Always wash new towels prior to use.
Here’s some links:
FAQ: "How do I take care of my microfiber towels?" - The Adam's Detailing Library - Adams Forums

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not gonna get into a big discussion here but I've been using regular dry Tide for over 23 years (21 years on my pristine, black, '95 Impala SS and two on the SS) and never had a granule of soap stick to a towel. I'd like to see the evidence for that. The new washers are even better about mixing the dry powder before it hits the items in the washer and then it mixes even more in the wash cycle. If you're getting granules on a towel after a wash you need a new washer, IMHO.

The only time I ever scratched my car with a microfiber towel was 4 years ago at a National Impala SS gathering in Charlotte, NC when I was prepping for the car show in the morning and started to drop my towel. I thought I caught it before it hit the ground and didn't put it aside but continued to dry with it but a corner had caught the ground and picked up the smallest bit of sawdust or something you can imagine and I put a light, fine scratch across my meticulously detailed hood. It was just deep enough that of my polishes would get rid of it. As great as the rest of the car looked all I could see was that scratch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts