Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2014 SS with 43K miles on it now and I do not drive it that much as it is one of my extra cars in my collection. I had it on a battery maintainer and the SS has been in my garage and not driven for about 3 weeks. A few days ago I decided to warm it up (it was about 50 degrees out) and fill it up with fuel. I started it and it started fine and normal, then after about 30 seconds I remembered I had forgot my wallet so I turned off the engine and came back out in around 5 minutes with my wallet, I started the SS again and it started fine but sounded different with a deeper lower tone sound and the RPM's were lower at around 700 and not the 1300 RPM's when it first started. Anyway after about 2 minutes I put it in reverse to back out of garage and it made a thud as it went into gear. I backed up and stopped and it put it back into park and closed garage then backed up into drive still making harsher shifts and engine did not feel right as if throttle control was slow and not responding normal. The dash displayed service traction control, and service stabillatrack too but no check engine light. I was thinking "oh no ... i need to have it checked at the dealer.

I drove it down the road about 500 yards then pulled over to re-start it. Upon restart after about 30 seconds it acted the same. I was thinking the car might have gone into a "limp" mode of sorts. After driving about two miles I pulled into gas station and after about 5 gallons the gas clicked off. After the fill up it had been about 10 minutes and then when re-starting all was fine. The LS3 sounded normal again and went into gear like normal, gas pedal now normal, and the car sounded fine as I drove my SS about 30 miles on the freeway warming it up and it all seemed normal and fine.

Now after all normal, I am thinking it must of been some kind of glitch and the second re-start got it out of the glitch... maybe something to do with the ECM? Battery is fine and had been replaced within a year with another AGM and stored on a maintainer when in garage.
Any guess what happened?

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
1- details:

https://www.ssforums.com/threads/got-a-problem-want-help.190269/post-3576458

2- when did you take off the maintainer in relation to starting ?

3- is the maintainer compatible/set for an AGM battery ?

4- is the replacement battery the correct DELCO for the SS ?

5- are you still getting the DIC warnings ?

It may be a glitch because of starting and turning off after just 30 seconds. This is NOT what to do. Why didn't you just exit vehicle running and lock the doors with the FOB ?

You DO need to take it to the dealer so the TC and Stabilitrac codes can be checked out before 40 restarts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1- details:

https://www.ssforums.com/threads/got-a-problem-want-help.190269/post-3576458

2- when did you take off the maintainer in relation to starting ?

3- is the maintainer compatible/set for an AGM battery ?

4- is the replacement battery the correct DELCO for the SS ?

5- are you still getting the DIC warnings ?

It may be a glitch because of starting and turning off after just 30 seconds. This is NOT what to do. Why didn't you just exit vehicle running and lock the doors with the FOB ?

You DO need to take it to the dealer so the TC and Stabilitrac codes can be checked out before 40 restarts.
1. good point, I will try to remember the details

2. maintainer was off about 1 or 2 minutes before first start

3. Yes, maintainer is AGM compatible

4, yes, replacement battery is correct

5. no DIC warnings now

and thanks CB 750 I will take it to dealer for a quick check on codes

·
Registered
66 Posts
1. good point, I will try to remember the details

2. maintainer was off about 1 or 2 minutes before first start

3. Yes, maintainer is AGM compatible

4, yes, replacement battery is correct

5. no DIC warnings now

and thanks CB 750 I will take it to dealer for a quick check on codes

I second getting the codes checked but also wonder if it could be some old gas was in your tank.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Gas in tank before fill-up was about 7 weeks old. Is that old enough to cause problems?
99.9% unrelated to the gas. Unless the gas was bad coming out of the pump.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gas in tank before fill-up was about 7 weeks old. Is that old enough to cause problems?
I was thinking you might have had some crappy gas in there because you said it seemed to clear up after you filled up the tank right? Or did I misunderstand?

If you live in California, I have heard the premium gas there is notoriously unreliable, but I dont have personal experience with it

·
Registered
796 Posts
if it was under warranty id say go to dealer.

the other guys have mentioned gas and a few other things.
doesnt hurt to have an ethanol test on your gas, even hook up an odb2 reader for misc engine stats.
resetting the ecu/tcu wouldnt hurt.

i wonder if the cheap odb2 readers can record fuel pressures.

torque app is your friend :)

good luck !

ppp

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
I reiterate:

Starting cold and turning off <30 seconds is BAD.

This was most likely the cause of the issue.

Get it scanned for any codes retained; BEFORE 40 start cycles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I reiterate:

Starting cold and turning off <30 seconds is BAD.

This was most likely the cause of the issue.

Get it scanned for any codes retained; BEFORE 40 start cycles.
Found my code reader / Discovered a P0301 = cylinder 1 misfire detected

SS runs fine now. Will check with dealer about the code when I get the chance. Will remember to not shut down engine so soon after cold start. thanks

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
Found my code reader / Discovered a P0301 = cylinder 1 misfire detected

SS runs fine now. Will check with dealer about the code when I get the chance. Will remember to not shut down engine so soon after cold start. thanks
Well misfire was because of < 30 sec run/off.

Scan for codes I meant are the OTHER DIC messages.

service traction control, and service stabillatrack

They are important !!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
This reminds me of the other day. I had it running for a few to warm up, AC on and working. I shut her down, thought I forgot something, didn't so fired her right back up. While there idling I noticed the AC wasn't cold. Thought the worst at first. Then when I took off it started cooling great again and has been good ever since.

·
Premium Member
13,379 Posts
This reminds me of the other day. I had it running for a few to warm up, AC on and working. I shut her down, thought I forgot something, didn't so fired her right back up. While there idling I noticed the AC wasn't cold. Thought the worst at first. Then when I took off it started cooling great again and has been good ever since.
Just like a home A/C, refrigerator, dehumidifier etc.... anything with a compressor ... there is time delay (or should be) to prevent the compressor from restarting for X minutes since it last shut off. You can experience this with short power blips at home if you pay attention.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI : Took my SS to dealer. Dealer only found one code the same P0301 misfire cyl 1 and it had misfired 696 times but not currently misfiring. Spark plug was lightly fouled and they installed new plug. nothing else needed to be serviced. It is running fine now
and it only cost me $160

1 - 14 of 14 Posts