Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to know, I like the way the factory exhaust sounds just want a bit more bite to it.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I would imagine if you deleted the resonator on a full stock exhaust, you would pick up a drone.
At least you won't have to register this drone.

Kidding aside, someone on YouTube (is he here too?) did a resonator delete. You can ask him if there's a drone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the secondary cats and the mid muffler removed and let me tell you that it sounds amazing...absolutely no drone whatsoever.I feel I have the best sounding SS and it only cost me 60 bucks lol.but now I'm afraid of getting headers cause I don't want the wound to change one bit...get rid of the secondary cats and mid muffler,you won't regret it

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had the secondary cats and the mid muffler removed and let me tell you that it sounds amazing...absolutely no drone whatsoever.I feel I have the best sounding SS and it only cost me 60 bucks lol.but now I'm afraid of getting headers cause I don't want the wound to change one bit...get rid of the secondary cats and mid muffler,you won't regret it
Did you keep the same H-Pipe or have the shop fab one up?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys, just need to find a shop I trust.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Had the resonator delete done today and oh what a difference it makes! A couple of things I've noticed:

1) It is definitely louder, but not obnoxious.
2) It got rid of some of the "tin can" frequencies that I hated. Definitely a deeper tone.
3) There is very little to no drone when cruising at 70 mph on the freeway. Actually sounds about the same as it did before.
4) The pops and crackles are more frequent now. I noticed it does it when I let off the gas in 6th gear now, which it never did before. It also does it more frequently when shifting from first to second. If you're the type that doesn't like the pops and crackles, then I wouldn't suggest doing this. Me personally, I love it.
5) I like this so much that I may not do anything more to the exhaust as far as mufflers go. It sounds exactly how I want it to sound.

Now, some of the deeper tone may be attributed to my AIRAID cold air intake that I installed, so YMMV. I had a local muffler shop weld in the 2 straight pipes and it cost me $100. And at $100, it's still a bargain compared to a catback system. So if you're looking for a little more sound and you're on a budget, give this a shot.

·
Registered
981 Posts
thanks for the followup, buttergrunge.

"little to no drone" is not the same as "no drone". so what say you: *is the drone worse than stock*?
(some of you guys can't hear the drone from the stock setup? It drones way more than LS2 GTO from what i hear.)

interesting re the snap crackle pop.
And consistent with the theory that the supposed cause of the snap crackle pop is *not* fuel being wastefully injected.

I do like the snap crackle pops. They are so prevalent, more than on any car i've had before out of many Z28s & LS2 GTO-naro.
Sometimes I like to idle through town without sounding like a Joe Gibbs car decelerating into the pits, but it ain't easy, ya really gotta feather the go-pedal to minimize the snap crackle pops.

·
Registered
279 Posts
"little to no drone" is not the same as "no drone". so what say you: *is the drone worse than stock*?
(some of you guys can't hear the drone from the stock setup? It drones way more than LS2 GTO from what i hear.)
I would say the drone is the same as stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the resonator delete done today and oh what a difference it makes! A couple of things I've noticed:

1) It is definitely louder, but not obnoxious.
2) It got rid of some of the "tin can" frequencies that I hated. Definitely a deeper tone.
3) There is very little to no drone when cruising at 70 mph on the freeway. Actually sounds about the same as it did before.
4) The pops and crackles are more frequent now. I noticed it does it when I let off the gas in 6th gear now, which it never did before. It also does it more frequently when shifting from first to second. If you're the type that doesn't like the pops and crackles, then I wouldn't suggest doing this. Me personally, I love it.
5) I like this so much that I may not do anything more to the exhaust as far as mufflers go. It sounds exactly how I want it to sound.

Now, some of the deeper tone may be attributed to my AIRAID cold air intake that I installed, so YMMV. I had a local muffler shop weld in the 2 straight pipes and it cost me $100. And at $100, it's still a bargain compared to a catback system. So if you're looking for a little more sound and you're on a budget, give this a shot.
Thank you for your feedback. Do you think it's possible at all to do a quick startup and rev clip? I would greatly appreciate it!

EDIT: I can give you my phone number or email also, if it's easier to text/email it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did resonator delete as well....best bang for the buck.....louder, meaner , throatier, I have a Vararam intake on it....I do get drone but only at like 1200 rpm range which lasts for a second. I am also getting rattling when it dies drone, souds like passenger side muffler area, I had it checked out but everything is great....I am asuming its the muffler sound resonating in that area bouncing off the aluminum flashing surrounding muffler. Its minor and I am dealing woth it, if it annoys me i will throw in aftermarket resonators which is still sound upgrade over stock ones.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I did resonator delete as well....best bang for the buck.....louder, meaner , throatier, I have a Vararam intake on it....I do get drone but only at like 1200 rpm range which lasts for a second. I am also getting rattling when it dies drone, souds like passenger side muffler area, I had it checked out but everything is great....I am asuming its the muffler sound resonating in that area bouncing off the aluminum flashing surrounding muffler. Its minor and I am dealing woth it, if it annoys me i will throw in aftermarket resonators which is still sound upgrade over stock ones.

There shouldn't be any rattling. After things were uninstalled, cut, rewelded, reinstalled (whatever way your exhaust shop decided to do it whether on the car or not) things could have shifted a bit. For rattling, I would check the tunnel brace and see if the exhaust is to close. If you can see a just a very slight clearance, its probably not enough. Throw some washers in to space the brace out some if you find clearance isn't enough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Guys,

I'm thinking about having a muffler shop remove my resonator and add straight pipe. Any tips or lessons learned from this mod and are any of you having any error codes? I can't imagine you would with it resonator being after the cats but have heard some mention it...

Thanks,
Wig

Reactions: Bmr4life
1 - 20 of 60 Posts