Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on this yet? Box clearly states VF series 1 & 2.

Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Gesture Portable communications device

Reactions: speedrye

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Interesting. The second link …. $740 USD plus shipping from AUS. Specifically says it works with Chevy SS mylink. Seems like a hefty price for CarPlay unless you spend a lot time in the car or just really can’t stand the fact that you don’t have it.

then again, I’m contemplating spending that much for upper/lower black window trim so to each his own.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve put 10k miles on this car in 4 years, not a necessity for me but thought it may benefit others.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is huge. I wont be the first but I'm very interested

·
Super Moderator
14,448 Posts
Regardless of what the ads say, a well known programmer on the forum has stated repeatedly that the USA silver box is not the same as the AUS silver box and some features of the AUS version cannot be made to work on our SS.
"Caveat emptor" is a good rule to follow in these cases.

Additionally any mention here of NavTool will make the thread disappear quickly. We will not have that battle again.

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
Note that the VFII unit has to be pulled out of the car sent to Australia and includes additional cost for the installation of an auxiliary jack. I would strongly suggest that anyone interested read very carefully the refund and return policy at the bottom of the link in post #3. Returns are only accepted if the item is faulty or an incorrect item is shipped, no "change of mind" returns accepted. So if it doesn't work with the SS does that make it one or both of those qualifiers? If so, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to receive the item from Australia, install the item, find out if it works with the US version of the silverbox, remove the item, ship the item back in the original or similar packaging and hope it arrives, all within 30 days, damage free and exactly as it's pictures say it left the facility. If you purchased the item before you sent your silverbox in, there is no mention of additional time allowed.
Admittedly I am skeptical. There has not been to date any known integration of car play or android auto in the SS. The commodore perhaps, but not the SS. While the name Walkinshaw is a known and respected name in Holden circles, the names envious customs and import road are certainly not Walkinshaw.
Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added these links and items because of the Walkinshaw name. I’m aware of most of the other pitfalls and incompatibility of the U.S. speced cars. If someone is seriously interested please let all of us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
a well known programmer on the forum has stated repeatedly that the USA silver box is not the same as the AUS silver box and some features of the AUS version cannot be made to work on our SS.
for those new to the forum and/or interested in learning more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I own this system and am very happy with it overall, I will post an review and update later today. I have to run out for a bit this morning, but I will post later.. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll jump in here, as I have been running this Envyous Customs/ Import Road kit in my 17 SS since May of this year. I posted one video on on FB page shortly after but it had some music in the clip and got copyrighted. Frankly I never mentioned it here due to the overwhelming and heavy handed censorship of any mention of this topic or systems like it. I know the whole backstory, and I still disagree with shutting down threads, but I'm not in charge.

This company, and system is different than those that came before. I never tried any of the others, but after reading reviews and watching the install videos I decided to take the plunge. Mostly because I stream 98% of my music and I wanted the improved updated navigation and functionality of wireless Android Auto. Yes, this system is wireless to your device. I have not tried the Apple CarPlay side yet, although I could use my wife's phone to check it out.

Essentially, this system is a wireless bridge between the silver box and your device. To work, it uses the AUX port function on the silver box, which must be enabled prior to install. There are a few options to get this done. I used WAMS as Chris was doing some other work for me on the media box and cluster. Envyous Customs offers the same service, you just have to buy a boat or plane ride for your box to Australia.

The install isn't difficult, the instructions are clear and Envyous Customs is available for support via email or he FB messenger app. The biggest challenge is finding a place to house the video bridge device and the wiring. I chose the glove box because I never use it for anything but the manual and registration anyway.

Power is provided by connection to the factory DOC harness plug under the passenger side dash. Envyous provides a truly plug and play harness that requires NO splicing or cutting. There's a lot of wiring, but the majority of it can be safely bundled and tucked into the dash cavity to the right of the silver box, just behind the passenger vent.

Finding a place for the device and wiring is probably the biggest downside, but this is a retrofit after all, so that's to be expected. If that's a big issue, this may not be for you.

Functionality is great, with full access to Spotify, Audible, Google Maps, Waze, and any other Android Auto compatible apps you may choose to run. Menu inputs are a bit slower than on my 2022 work vehicle with Android Auto from the factory, but that is mostly due to the MyLink capacitive touch screen being older.

Sound is good, but I still have the factory sound system for now.

I'll post some pics and a video later on, I can't break away to do that at the moment. The video may have to be done without any copyrighted music or media, because my prior video was pulled due to having some Led Zeppelin in it.

·
Super Moderator
14,448 Posts
Sounds like there is finally a solution that doesn't involve a scam as was the case in so many of the closed threads.

For the record -- no one outside the Mod and Admin teams knows the complete backstory on this. Much more was going on than what made the front page of the forum

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have read that the Walkinshaw ($1kish Aussie dollars )module is a rebranded Kayhan Auto ($700ish Aussie dollars) module. I have read more positive comments about the Import Road ($1kish Aussie dollars, not including WAMS programming) version from down under. These are both Aussie companies and I have zero experience with either. It sounds like Bluegrass has a variation of the import road version. His experience is the first actual person I have read about with a SS in America using any of these systems with success. Is great to hear the WAMS was able to assist. I have used them for other things in the past and they are top notch to work with.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s also my understanding that vf series 1 do not require additional programming. Don’t hold me to that though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like there is finally a solution that doesn't involve a scam as was the case in so many of the closed threads.

For the record -- no one outside the Mod and Admin teams knows the complete backstory on this. Much more was going on than what made the front page of the forum
That is true, I don't know anything beyond what was in the threads. Forgive me if I sounded harsh. It was frustrating to try researching these options with the limited amount of reliable info already, only to see threads on the topic closed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just want to clarify, the kit I purchased and installed is the Import Road "VF Series 2 Apple CarPlay/Android Auto Integration". My understanding is that Envyous Customs does the programming part. I have no experience with the Walkinshaw kit, and although it looks similar, I can't say if it is in fact the same as mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts