Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update time! The engine has been built and all the parts finally arrived so the car has been put back together. The combination is looking good, putting down a stout 676rwhp at just under 8psi, so nice and safe as requested. Below vid courtesy of my builder and tuner, Mark.

It will still be a few days til its ready for pick up as there is still some fine tuning and road testing to be done, I'll post another update when I have it back in my own garage. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
A 427 Dart block HSV on low boost is impressive to me well done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Small update! Engine has now completed its 1000km service and I'll be heading to the local drag strip soon to start testing out the new combination. It drives fantastic, grip is much more of a problem now though. I have a set of 18" drag wheels on order which I'm hoping will arrive before the first roll racing event I'm able to get to in early April.

Took some idle and rev vids today though, link below. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Small update! Engine has now completed its 1000km service and I'll be heading to the local drag strip soon to start testing out the new combination. It drives fantastic, grip is much more of a problem now though. I have a set of 18" drag wheels on order which I'm hoping will arrive before the first roll racing event I'm able to get to in early April.

Took some idle and rev vids today though, link below. Enjoy!

That exhaust sounds amazing. Walkenshaw or DPE?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The youtube quotes Marks workshop as using Manta exhaust.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That exhaust sounds amazing. Walkenshaw or DPE?
Manta twin 3", the "quiet" version with both centre and rear mufflers. Manta did buy DPE but this is a manta stainless system with coated hurricane 1 ⅞ 4-1 headers. Pretty sure manta maintained DPE as a separate option.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Manta twin 3", the "quiet" version with both centre and rear mufflers. Manta did buy DPE but this is a manta stainless system with coated hurricane 1 ⅞ 4-1 headers. Pretty sure manta maintained DPE as a separate option.

Wish exhaust companies here made an exhaust that sounds that good

·
Registered
182 Posts
Running such low boost, naturally I wonder what someone who just put in a Dart 427 would go? They would have a powerful "grandpa axe engine". I doubt you would have done a zero boost run.. .Bobby who built my LS9 motor was an NA Australian champion off a DART block build. He's now Harrop 2650, as you would....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm planning to head down and do some passes in a couple of weeks time. I only have the street tyres at present, which are 2 year old MPSS in 285 35 20 at about half life so I'm expecting it to be a bit of a handful. I'm going to punish those tyres and really warm em up lol. The sooner I can munch through them the sooner I can shod a pair of MPS4S which should perform better on the street, and by that time I'll have track dedicated 18s with a 275 45 18 radial for what I hope will see me into the 10s...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Had dramas at the strip last week on its maiden outing unfortunately. I had done a couple of passes but was struggling with high intake temps (unusually high) and upon investigation found the blower reservoir was nearly empty, along with evidence of a leak somewhere. I topped the reservoir up in time to do one last pass and blew the tyres off. So testing on that front will resume next week.

I fixed the leak the following day and was able to get to a drift practice session. The car feels more planted and easy to control now despite being 98kg heavier than before, I credit this to the upgraded sway bars. I was out on track for about 30 minutes before the first set of tyres was done, doesn't take long! Footage below:

·
Registered
182 Posts
What sway bars are you running? Selbys family sold the Name in Australia but still make bars to order.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What sway bars are you running? Selbys family sold the Name in Australia but still make bars to order.
I'm running Whiteline bars now, 30mm front and 22mm rear:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well its a new year and that means its time for an update! Car has been performing solidly so far and has racked up 9600km on the new combo, spread over mainly track days and a few country trips (fuel economy - not that I care - still surprisingly good on country runs, 10.3L/100km at 110kmh / 70mph).

That being said, the engine has developed a small oil leak disappointingly, suspected rear main but unknown. Also, the clutch is not adequate to hold the torque for repeated runs at the strip, so its time for some work, scheduled for around September.

The engine will come out and oil leak diagnosed and rectified, clutch replaced and a flex fuel sensor fitted. Fuel system will get modified for E85, blower spacer plates installed and a 12L intercooler tank as well. A pulley change to spin the 2300 up to maximum rpm, and a retune to suit. Should be a decent kick in the pants! Updates to follow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why don't you go interchiller? I guess Mark doesn't like the company. I have a Laminova intercooler and that stand alone is pretty good. With the Dart block and cubes I guess you have so much in reserve it's irrelevant. Even NA it would be fearsome.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yeah i do like that center display, and that front end with that color is ****!

rear main seal would be thinking need a better catchcan setup, especially running on a track. Didnt see a setup pics might have missed it though

21 - 40 of 40 Posts