Chevy SS Forum banner

Upper strut mount fail- going to be a problem?

8K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  xxteamarcticxx 
#1 ·
With such a failure, will the spring still be retained on the strut when removed from the car?

Thanks,
Josh
White Teapot Serveware Automotive wheel system Pottery

See less See more
#7 ·
#3 ·
People are scary...

#4 ·
The hollow thuds just started last week. It took a little time to diagnose and then I ordered parts. I did not think it would let completly go so quick. This picture is from Friday.

Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Auto part Wheel

Again my question is with such a failure, will the spring still be retained on the strut when removed from the car?

#9 ·
With such a failure, will the spring still be retained on the strut when removed from the car?
I'm not positive but I bet the spring will not be under tension when you lift the front anyway, instead of trying to fumble with a compressor/s in there I would at least try it with the load off. Just be careful!

#10 ·
this has been my experience on other cars too, or at least very little tension. But the one time you make that assumption and it is still under tension, you could damage something or get hurt. And might still need to compress a little to put it all back together easily. So might as well put on the compressors beforehand in a location where you know they won’t interfere with anything. Just my experience.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the constructive and supportive comments.

There is not a lot of room to compress the spring with the strut up in there.

What I did once the front was up on jack stands was put a floor jack under the spindle and jacked it up a couple inches from full droop. Was able to get one compressor on the outside, and take some tension off of things. Plus figured this would dampen the force alot if it did want to shoot out. Then took loose the top mount, and began to slowly let the jack down.

Pulled the lower bolts out and was able to get it out in one assembly being careful not to point the top of it at me in case it did let loose still.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the constructive and supportive comments.

There is not a lot of room to compress the spring with the strut up in there.

What I did once the front was up on jack stands was put a floor jack under the spindle and jacked it up a couple inches from full droop. Was able to get one compressor on the outside, and take some tension off of things. Plus figured this would dampen the force alot if it did want to shoot out. Then took loose the top mount, and began to slowly let the jack down.

Pulled the lower bolts out and was able to get it out in one assembly being careful not to point the top of it at me in case it did let loose still.
Well done. Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind, can you post a pic of what exactly failed??

#22 ·
I think most here agree with researching before diving in. I mean, why else would we be here? Average Joe takes his car to the dealer and hopes for the best.

The part I disagree with is being a complete arrogant a-hole to people for asking a question or not scouring through every post of every thread and inadvertently bringing up something that has already been discussed that one time five months ago. It's completely unnecessary unless someone has proven to ignore advice time and time again. Are some questions silly? Of course. Unless you're new to the internet, I'm not sure why that would be unexpected. Either point them in the right direction or ignore the question.

Like I said, I've been a part of numerous helpful boards over the years and learned a ton of tips from super nice car enthusiasts without the 'help' of someone who gets a kick out of continuously bullying people for asking car questions on a car forum. It's absurd and the fact that it's allowed to continue is even more absurd. It's not really even possible to ignore because it seemingly permeates every single thread.

#23 ·
I posted a link to the picture of the front suspension from GM parts.

If anyone could not figure out the answer from looking at the picture of how the strut assembly is built up ... well no arrogance here ... just an observation .... "shame on you if you can't".

Yes it does take a bit of brain power (fishing) vs just getting the one word answer (fish) handed to you.

#24 · (Edited)
Several here have built notoriety in an attempt to “help” others. Several Facebook groups I’ve been in related to the SS, at least once that someone mentioned SSForums, your name would be mentioned and not in a good way.

We’re not teaching members how to fish, we’re teaching them to **** off somewhere else which is a damn shame because for information sharing purposes nothing beats an old fashioned forum. And as a community we’re small as it is, to which we add bullying and contemptuous responses.

I think your 40 year career may have killed your patience.

#27 ·
For all you guys complaining about you know who, I was once like you when he came on the forum many years ago...who is this guy with the attitude?

I griped, complained, generally wasted energy that I didn’t need to waste. I came to realize that in his own grumpy, sometimes seemingly scornful way, CB does have a lot of useful, and in some cases insider, info to share about the SS. And the value he brings generally outweighs the hurt feelings that often follows.

So, I decided that while everyone is not like me (helpful, knowledgeable, and really good looking) I’m also an adult and can handle someone who has a little edgier/direct approach than I may like without going into crisis mode...

Don’t get me wrong, I still read some of his posts and shake my head. But my advice is either get over it or ignore/block his posts if it really is a problem for you. You may be happier but probably not as well informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I agree. First time I got pissy was about an info post on how to take proper photos. It was posted in the typical condescending/dismissive tone, and after the initial “who the f does he think he is” reaction, it was followed by “this dude makes a really good point”.

Here’s the thing. We can sit here and talk philosophy day, I have zero interest in participating. At the end of the day, this way of packaging what is on occasion useful information is regarded as a toxic attitude which has driven many away. I suppose I’m an idealist that still thinks this can change but the reality is, it’s too late for some people.

Don’t be a dick and people will listen more. Being correct does not excuse a violation of form.

#30 ·
Don't defend him. You can make good points, be helpful, and not be a jerk. It is possible.

Sorry to keep this off-topic discussion going. If it helps, I am strongly considering coilovers for my 14 so I have an excuse to get in there and preemptively touch the notorious upper mounts, thanks largely to the documented issues on this forum. Thanks to those who document their issues and ask questions!

#32 ·
I've gone through this with both front magnetic struts. The first one was replaced under warranty. I replaced the mount on the second one, only to find that the magnetic strut itself was at fault. I had the dealer replace the strut and everything has been fine since. I was able to negotiate them down on the part. So my lesson learned was that replacing the mount took some effort (borrowed the spring compressor form O'Reilly) and didn't get me where I needed to be.
Yes you can replace the strut yourself, it's not hard. But I wanted the one time mounting bolts used and torqued properly, and the alignment set correctly, and the dealer warranted their work.

Your picture looks just like mine did - replacing the mount did not fix the situation for me.
Your mileage may vary.
Best!

#34 ·
There is a feature called “Ignore” under your forum profile that you can use to ensure you never see any posts from a selected forum member...past, present and future. I started using it (so far for only one person on the forums) but I have to say, I cannot tell you how much more pleasant it is to visit the SSforums since then. It took me awhile just now, to realize you guys were having a similar problem with someone. Give my solution a try, and see if it helps some of you!

p.s. if you need help tuning your boosted car to boost alternator output voltage, or need advice flashing your car with HP Tuners while just using your standard old OE battery and no charger, or if you need advice running a DSX fuel pump, and tuning for E85, upgrading to ID1050X injectors, installing a Whipple kit, and Doug Thorley Headers, tuning for VE and MAF, replacing your mag ride struts, or installing aftermarket brake pads while keeping your OE rotors, or installing the BMR trailing arms, toe bars, bushings and tunnel brace, running aftermarket NT05 DRs on factory ‘16 rims, upgrading to a Monster tripplle-disk clutch, feel free to PM me....that is if you are not the one person on my ignore list.

#42 ·
XX you need to watch the name calling CB750 has been here long time has lots of knowledge to share. Head rat CB750 and I help out a lot of folks over the years. So please cool it with the name calling your stay maybe short
z51vett
Doug

My apologies,
XX you need to watch the name calling CB750 has been here long time has lots of knowledge to share. Head rat CB750 and I help out a lot of folks over the years. So please cool it with the name calling your stay maybe short
z51vett
Doug

My apologies. Right you are

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.