Chevy SS Forum banner

Updates & Changes to the 2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV

10K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  American-Muscle 
#1 ·
A look at updates and changes to the 2014 Caprice PPV from the guys @ GMI

General Motors is making a few changes and updates to the 2014 Chevy Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV). For starters, the 2014 Caprice PPV loses the Alto Grey Metallic exterior color and sunglass holder (surely, many police offers will miss both), the floor-mounted shift lever, as well as the 8-way power driver and front passenger seat adjustments.

Meanwhile, the AM/FM stereo with CD player is replaced with a 7″ color touchscreen Chevrolet MyLink radio with Bluetooth, and the 600 cold-cranking amps (CCA) auxiliary battery is replaced by a unit with 100 more. Electric Power Steering (EPS) replaces power rack-and-pinion steering and the associated power steering oil cooler, and 6-way power seat adjusters replace 8-way units. There’s a new instrument cluster, a folder blade key fob (love those!), a new inside rearview mirror with manual day/night switch, and a circuit to integrate Surveillance Mode.

The updates, which are rounded out by several RPO-level changes, put the 2014 Caprice PPV in line with the updated 2014 Holden WN Caprice, which itself was updated at the same time as the freshened VF Commodore.
Official Changes

Deletions

• Exterior color (GGG) Alto Grey Metallic
  • (9C3/1SC) Detective equipment group, which included front bucket, cloth with heavy-duty foam, cloth rear bench seats, front center console with armrest and 2 auxiliary power outlets
  • (UBW) AM/FM stereo with CD player
  • (DD4) Inside rearview mirror with compass
  • (A6G) Driver 8-way power seat adjuster
  • (A6F) Front passenger 8-way power seat adjuster
  • Sunglass holder
  • Floor-mounted shift lever
  • (K4S) 600 cold-cranking amps auxiliary battery
  • (N40) power rack-and-pinion steering and power steering oil cooler
New Features

• (UFU) Chevrolet MyLink radio, AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, includes 7″ diagonal color touch-screen display
  • (UP9) Bluetooth for phone and music, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system, voice recognition, music navigator and streaming audio
  • (D31) Inside rearview manual day/night mirror
  • (TKA) Center console equipment mounting platform
  • (AH6) Driver 6-way power seat adjuster
  • (AH7) Front passenger 6-way power seat adjuster
  • (M1A) Column-mounted shift lever
  • (K5S) 700 cold-cranking amps auxiliary battery
  • (NJ1) Electric power steering (EPS)
  • Surveillance mode, circuit for connection to customer switch
  • Instrument panel and cluster
  • Folding key blade fob
Changes

• (BTV) Remote vehicle starter system with Remote Keyless Entry is now standard
  • Jet Black interior code changed from (4BB) to (4AA)
  • Front bucket, cloth with heavy-duty foam, cloth rear bench seat code changed from (ADX) to (H1T)
  • Front bucket, cloth with heavy-duty foam, vinyl rear bench seat code changed from (ACC) to (HCQ)
  • Tire Pressure Monitor System code changed from (UJ6) to (UJM)

#2 ·
The Caprice PPV is going to be the poor man's SS - mark my words. For the dollar vs. horsepower ratio you get from one car to the other, I can purchase an awful lot of mods (blower anyone?) for the $15K price differential. That dash shifter though..... GM's PR folks keep calling it a "column shifter" when it's actually not. And people keep believing it because they keep seeing those words in press releases. Jury's out as I haven't sat in one yet, but it just looks....weird.. seeing a lever sprout from the dash. :)

#9 ·
Quick! Kill it before it lays eggs!
Is the shuffleboard court extra?

#13 ·
If the goal is a lean, efficient, no-nonsense RWD V8 sedan platform upon which to build a great sleeper, it's a solid choice. Personally I'd like to see you get your hands on one and mod the **** out of it. For me, I'd spend the extra ten and get the SS, run it bone-stock for four years and dump it before the warranty expires.

#14 ·
I'd spend the extra ten and get the SS, run it bone-stock for the five years I'd be in the US, then take it to my next posting (hopefully Canada or Europe) and finally take it home.

#16 ·
You can now buy these used from LEO property sales/auctions.

Also, the detective's version doesn't have the "shuffle board court" in the center console.

#20 ·
Not sure on the detective model codes but I believe they dropped one of them and are offering it in basically patrol car guise only. Not sure 100% I have only seen one model grade listed.
There were a few different optrions though but all have the so called shuffleboard court I am almost 100% on that one. I'll see if I can find it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.