Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know that I should have probably posted this in the electronic section but I don't think it gets as much traffic.

I was reviewing as some people were having intermittent problems with their uniden or other radar detectors using the mirror mounts for some reason. I didn't know if there had been a fix for this yet or if anybody had identified a cause.What was the scrap has intermittent loss of power which may have caused the unit to become defective?

Ideally I would like to mirror Mount the unit and there are several options on Amazon from radar Mount versus blendmount.

just curious to hear others experiences with mirror tap or if there's any better alternatives.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
The mirror mount is irrelevant really

Any electrical is really tied into how the unit is wired. Is it a hard wire, or using the push in tinned ends to the current terminal location.

I use them with V1s [and going to list a new passport] without issue that wasn't self inflicted.

When i did find issues, it was because the tinned end was loose or otherwise came out of a mirror tap - my truck rides a bit rough and the tap had come loose over a long time on our fantastic roads here in MI. So i taped the harness after resetting the tap. No issue otherwise.

More of an annoyance - add a touch to loctite (threadlocker) to fasteners. I also add double sided tape or velcro (ok -hook and loop, i don't want a lawsuit) the radar to the underside of the mirror to prevent the bounce and leverage on the fastener joint on the mount which is what worked loose over time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
The pins are inserted into the harness from behind the connector - basically to tap into the wire connection inside the connector.

I didn't find it to be a big deal and easy enough. Not worth the time to T in, and definitely much cleaner to do it as intended.

Do not use a viper tap, those are terrible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts