Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,675 Posts
Start by finding, in your area, an enthusiast who knows how to tune and has good equipment (one who doesn't make their living by tuning), then be an attentive learner.
Attending Cars & Coffee type events is a good way to make contacts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are apps and books to teach the basics.

·
Registered
970 Posts

there are schools might was to search your area see if one is offered, this is just one example.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
You have more to learn than you can imagine.
And you are not going to learn it for free.
Definitely not for free!! Especially if you find some of the best tuners in the industry as I did. I started off with deciding to go with EFI on my stack injected BBC in my former drag car that I was putting back on the street. I paid $500 for an "introduction to EFI" class presented by Brian Macy, who at the time was working with Comp Cams in developing their "F.A.S.T. XFI EFI system. I drove about 500 miles to 'Westech' in SoCal. Very good class and well worth it!! We also met with Steve Brule at Westech for some "hands on" tuning in the dyno cell. After I got the car running, I contacted Brian and we connected our laptops with an app called "Team Viewer". He was in Lake Havasu and I was in NorCal. We got the beast to settle down to where it didn't smoke me out of the barn. Then I contacted Rich Nedbal of "Fastman EFI" in Sonora, Ca. for a ride along final tune and more instruction. That was another $500 and a good breakfast!! Rich would not leave until he felt I had a decent grip on the tuning of the beast. The results are amazing. I have still retained a fairly good handle on the tune of my specialty' rig. Here it is----
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
308 Posts
Interesting, @Headrat ! My first REAL tuning project (not including all the time I spent tweaking on Ford EEC-IV tables) was my former turbocharged 598 ci pickup. My neighbors surely hated me for a few months! Started out with a FAST Bank-to-Bank setup on it and then changed to an XFI because trying to idle the huge injectors in B2B was such a challenge. Also tuned a couple of BS3 applications.

Since then I've done a lot of stuff with various MegaSquirt combinations, a few LS-based applications using HP-Tuners, along with a few cars using Holley's EFI. Most have been boosted.

All that said, I think I'm about ready to have a pro make a pass through the tune I've done on my car. I'm pretty confident in my heavier-throttle settings, but some of the low speed, low throttle angle drivability could use a little clean up. And I want whatever can be done, done, to the DBW throttle body. I hate that thing. With a passion.

Reactions: Headrat

·
Registered
754 Posts
A big consideration is what tune program do you want to start off with, things like Diablo, Hyper, HP Tuners, I think its word of mouth on what programs are affordable, scaleable, folks like or what works well for GM LS electronics or 6L80 trans setpoints.
Eliminating Gas Saving designs that cause more damage than benefit or reduce the driving fun- removing DOD, skipshift etc........seem to be a big entrance into "tuning" and does not have as much risk as leaving it alone to fail or bother you !! . Then I think there is "street tuning" that goes with the aftermarket parts being added, absolutely requiring the tune, like a CAI, or a fee exhaust. more risk. And race tuning where stuff often does blow up.

What concerns me is someone who posts, "I did a bunch of cool expensive fast shiny mods, I didnt get it tuned yet, it runs like ass and these lights are all on and flashing.....can I still drive it?? (gee really??)

...and then there is the popular "ass hat tune" lately we all just love hearing -- being done to every ratty civic and BMW out there....fuel feed during decell- causing massive exhaust disruption (and probably damage from fuel drench) .

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
308 Posts
...and then there is the popular "ass hat tune" lately we all just love hearing -- being done to every ratty civic and BMW out there....fuel feed during decell- causing massive exhaust disruption (and probably damage from fuel drench) .
I so don't understand this trend. When the fad started, I told my wife that I always worked to get all that crap out of my tune, and I'd be embarrassed if something I drove or tuned sounded like that!

Every once in a great while my truck doesn't skip into decel fuel cutoff quite fast enough at highway speeds and will cough once through the exhaust. It makes me insane.

Reactions: SS WOT

·
Super Moderator
8,665 Posts
Actually really simple, throw a carb on that bad boy and break out your flat head and 9/16" wrench. Easy peazy
Unless it's a Rochester Quadrajunk, then you have to add a hammer. GTO would start running rougher than rough back in the day, a quick tap on the side and you'da thunk Robert Yates just put a tune on it... :cool:

Reactions: G8a550

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are a lot of 'bad practice' ways to go about it out there on line. You definitely never stop learning something new. The Tuning School mentioned above takes some learning out of it. It is (or at least used to be) a guide book that you follow along with depending on what you are going to achieve. Sub chapters take you to different systems (cooling strategy, supercharger, etc.). ChopperDoc on Ls1Tech offers some free advice from time to time but doesn't touch on Gen IV management that I'm aware of. He was supposed to get into it recently on line to help people out, but I don't believe that got off of the ground. If he did or does, I'd definitely look into that.

HP Academy is another one similar to TTS, but I believe they go more in depth explaining the 'why'. There are also quite a few YouTuber's that offer stuff. The most recent one I can think of is Goat Rope Garage that seems to be getting a little attention these days. I've seen a few of his videos. One of his methods did not work well that I attempted. Pietz Performance (may not have the spelling correct) had a couple of easy to follow and understand videos on HP Tuners YouTube channel that I liked. Wish they did a lot more.

HPTuners forum is a wealth of info, but you'll get crickets if you haven't searched your issue thoroughly before posting. There are quite a few awesome people there, but even more assholes.

Not sure about EFI Live, as I've never really looked into it.

IMO, you either have to be all in and ready to read A TON or go with a program that says start here, do this next, then this, now this, you're done tuning!

A supposed great tuner from a very well known shop tuned my 71 Ls3 4l60e Firebird. Because of this combo, I have to run a TBSS gas pedal and an E67. This was all conveyed when I brought the car in and was assured this was the 'best tuner in the area' who would certainly make sure everything is correct. While it runs ok it always seemed like it should be better. I decided to look into the tune on my own and from what I understand-step one-correct injector data was overlooked. While this wouldn't be the case tuning my stock SS, it's an issue here.

I wish you the best and am going down the same road as soon as the weather breaks.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I decided to look into the tune on my own and from what I understand-step one-correct injector data was overlooked. While this wouldn't be the case tuning my stock SS, it's an issue here.
Just curious if you fixed this yourself, or had tuner fix his screwup, and if fixed, did it make a noticeable improvement?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just curious if you fixed this yourself, or had tuner fix his screwup, and if fixed, did it make a noticeable improvement?
Not yet. I began looking into it last summer. I decided not to address it until I had wideband bung and some exhaust work done. The car comes back within the next few weeks. I also redid some of my intake tubing. Both of these should be done before tuning begins, so I believe I'm going to be at the right starting point. The 2011 Corvette sourced Ls3 in the car should be reasonably similar to a connect and cruise package from GM. My plan is to use that E67 data to begin with. The Corvette Ls3 used an E38.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts