Chevy SS Forum banner

Transmission crossmember for 6L90 swap

13K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  cal30_sniper 
#1 ·
Looking for a transmission crossmember that would support a 6L90e, I believe some of the Aussie cars came with 6L90’s

#2 ·
I am no expert...

I am almost positive the cross member is the same. I do know it is more common to upgrade the internals of the 80 with 90 parts than it is to do a complete swap.

#4 ·
The crossmember isn’t the same and they sell one in Australia - I’ll try to find the link if you don’t beat me to it. I was gonna do the swap before I ended up building my 6L80, met a guy who did the swap and he modified his stock crossmember.

Reactions: JayJ
#8 ·
Not sure of the part number, never seen one in person just know by the build sheet that car has the crossmember I need, I hear if it wasn’t from coronavirus having the international shipping screwed up it’s wouldn’t be hard to get from the Assuie guys, almost to the point of just going to a race shop and having one fab’d up

#9 ·
I’d love to see a photo of it. Looking at the Camaro parts, the Camaro SS manual and ZL1 auto trans crossmembers look very similar. I wonder if a GXP or SS Sedan manual crossmember could be made to work with some trimming.

#10 ·

Couldn’t copy/paste but there ya go

#11 ·
So I looked and can’t seem to find it. Trying to get a bead on a site

#13 ·
Just waiting to hear back from Australia - it’s around dawn there now

#14 ·
Ok so they said I can order from them in Australia - I can order it than you can just get it from me. Sound like a plan? Maybe I’ll order two so that I have one on deck

Reactions: Buffaloheron15
#21 ·
You are probably right, but I do know shipping from Australia is incredibly expensive

On most calculators you don't need an exact address and I suspect the rates don't vary much from different Australian cities. i.e. It will give you a good idea.

#23 ·
If the shipping from down under is anything like it is from Singapore/Hong Kong, you are probably looking at a month.

I was told that because they are so few commercial airliners flying at the moment they is a big shortage of air cargo capacity and thus mail that would normally be placed on airliners has been sent by boat.

Hopefully, someone can be more specific.

#24 · (Edited)
Prior to Fedge digging up this info, I ordered a manual trans crossmember from Australia (photo analysis and a lot of hand-waving says the manual trans crossmember is close in mounting location to the 6L90 crossmember, but would require significant trimming to fit). Shipping for that crossmember was $50 USD, and will probably take 4-6 weeks.

If you’re in a huge time crunch, a ZL1 Camaro crossmember is narrower than a G8/PPV/SS crossmember, so some sort of small adapter brackets can likely be welded up to make one fit in an SS. There’s also a guy on the G8board who makes 4L80 conversion crossmembers. An extra plate can be welded to the front of that crossmember to interface with the 6L90 mounting location (photo attached).

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine

I’m more than happy to wait for a factory crossmember to show up.

#36 ·
Looks like it to me....the trans mount holes are back near the rear holes of the crossmember - I prolly shoulda ordered one for myself lol

#38 ·
I can confirm that the crossmember fedge ordered for me was a direct fit. ZL1 6L90 dropped right into my PPV using that crossmember. Just had to swap the TCMs out and get the driveshaft shortened a bit by a local shop.

Reactions: Fedge378
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.