Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone planning on doing the 9.12.17 Track Night in America at NJMSP? I was planning on doing it with a friend of mine, but he dropped out. I picked up a 2017 MT recently and would really like to get it on a track. This would be a first track day for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know how "new" your new car is, but would recommend not putting it on a track until you have completed the full break-in period.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Then have at it and have fun! I am an HPDE instructor for several clubs and hope to see you there at some point.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I made it out to the event. I dragged my feet registering (waited until the day before), due to an initial forecast of rain and some other things, and was put on the wait list. I decided at the last minute to drive out and hope for the best. I lucked out and was able to drive with the novice group.

I had a great time. The car did very well, no drama with brakes getting too hot, coolant temp didn't budge. Track Night in America uses point by passing in the straights and I passed a ton of cars. Notable fast cars in my group were a current gen M4, a newer 911 Carerra S (not sure if 997 or 991 gen), and a C7 Vette that apparently had been worked on (had a sticker on the back that said 658 HP) and Mazda RX-7 that was black flagged because it burned so much oil it shot flames out the exhaust on shifts (notable for that reason, wasn't fast).

The 911 was my nemesis. Lightning Raceway at NJMP is a fairly tight track (1.6 miles IIRC), which helps cater to the 911. The Vette would have been a worthy opponent, had he not went off the track on at least two occasions.

I'm looking forward to my next track day. I'm sure the car has more performance to offer that i didn't fully take advantage of. I mostly drove by the seat of my pants and did the best to hit what I thought was a good line.

I really liked the HUD display. I used with with the speedo / tach setting and it was nice not having to look down for the tach.

Absolutely a great time. I youhaven't had your car on the track I suggest you do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts