Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the TPMS antenna is on our cars? The antenna that communicates with each of the 4 TPMS sensors at the wheels?

I recently purchased one of those TPMS Bypass boxes and am having some trouble getting it recognized when I start the programming from the car. Apparently you don't need to use the handheld TPMS tool you'd normally use to program TPMS sensors, but you need to hold it closer to wherever on the car the TPMS signal is sent/received?

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I'm not sure but I always struggle with my TPMS calibration tool also. You are going through the process in the menu right? hold the start button down to get into diagnostic mode then running the reset function.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure but I always struggle with my TPMS calibration tool also. You are going through the process in the menu right? hold the start button down to get into diagnostic mode then running the reset function.
Yeah, I'm using the menu on the instrument cluster, and get to the 2 chirps to start TPMS programming. I have no issue at all programming the Summer Wheels/Tires with the handheld TPMS tool, I'm just having trouble getting my newly purchased TPMS Bypass to work. This is the 3rd time in 5 years my TireRack TPMS sensors died and I'm tired of paying to have my Winter wheels/tires unmounted and TPMS sensors replaced, so I bought this TPMS Bypass box.

Apparently you don't need the handheld tool (which I've also tried) but you hold the Bypass box up against the car's TPMS antenna which I don't know where it is...

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitoring System Receiver
Try setting it on top of drivers front tire. Should be located near sensor.
Or at least 1 receiver up front. All the components for our cars are starting
to disappear from GM websites.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
The K77 Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) module connects to the antenna in the rear window glass. That module receives and forwards the TPM sensor transmissions to the BCM. If the RCDLR is located in the same spot as the 14-17 Caprice PPV, then it's located on the inside of the right C pillar about 2/3rds the way up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I did try the center console but I'll give the right C pillar a try.

One thing the seller said was to drive the car for 5 minutes before trying the TPMS learn procedure. Does that make a difference on our cars? I didn't think we had any passive TPMS learning capability like Dodges...

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
35 Posts
Thanks! I did try the center console but I'll give the right C pillar a try.

One thing the seller said was to drive the car for 5 minutes before trying the TPMS learn procedure. Does that make a difference on our cars? I didn't think we had any passive TPMS learning capability like Dodges...
I don't think driving makes a difference. You just need a TPMS tool to 'wake up' the sensors/data box. I would think you would need put the box on the rear deck, start TPMS re-learn procedure, then use a TPMS tool to make the box transmit data to the car to program each tire to so speak. I don't see how you could program the car to accept 4 different TPMS signals if you can't control the output of each signal.

I am curious does the box continuously broadcast TPMS data 24/7 or does it have a motion sensor and only broadcasts when it senses movement?

I have heard where people buy 4 sensors, program them, stick them in a PVC pipe, cap it, mount Schrader valve, fill pipe, and put in trunk. In my wife's Explorer I can just turn it off with Forscan. On the Caprice PPV forum there are several guys who have programmed the BCM to alter the trigger PSI. Its on my todo list someday.

Reactions: opq

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am curious does the box continuously broadcast TPMS data 24/7 or does it have a motion sensor and only broadcasts when it senses movement?

I have heard where people buy 4 sensors, program them, stick them in a PVC pipe, cap it, mount Schrader valve, fill pipe, and put in trunk. In my wife's Explorer I can just turn it off with Forscan. On the Caprice PPV forum there are several guys who have programmed the BCM to alter the trigger PSI. Its on my todo list someday.
I think it continuously broadcasts TPMS data (a fixed reading of, say, 36 psi) but at maybe once per second or less. And there's probably 4 differently coded TPMS sensor IDs broadcast one by one.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm going to give that a go today. If this works, then this would be a lot more convenient than the "pipe bomb" approach. My rationale when pulling the trigger on this was that 4 TPMS sensors are still more expensive, even if you don't have to mount it in the tire, especially when their batteries die and you can't just replace batteries of the TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If I had that many tire rack tpms failures (my original 4 are still working, on winter #6) I’d be tempted to just live with the dash light for the duration of winter tire use.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I had that many tire rack tpms failures (my original 4 are still working, on winter #6) I’d be tempted to just live with the dash light for the duration of winter tire use.
ugh, don’t get me started. It only took Winter #2 for my first one to fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts