Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like the title asks, has anyone figured out a proper tow eye/strap/ring for if you run out of road, talent, and ideas all at the same time?

If not, I'll start building one of my own. I'm interested in doing both a front and rear hook setup, just in case. I haven't found anything on the forum using the search function yet, so If I've missed it, please let me know.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
So, like the title asks, has anyone figured out a proper tow eye/strap/ring for if you run out of road, talent, and ideas all at the same time?

If not, I'll start building one of my own. I'm interested in doing both a front and rear hook setup, just in case. I haven't found anything on the forum using the search function yet, so If I've missed it, please let me know.

Thanks ahead of time.
I’ve been wanting to fashion something up as well. I looked through the forum last year and didn’t find anything. It’ll have to be custom for sure. I haven’t done it yet but these are my thoughts.

The rear shouldn’t be too bad to fix a strap to the cradle and run it out back. Or figure out where the factory receiver hitch attaches and use a bracket to drop a strap to an angle that won’t interfere with rear bodywork. The front seems a challenge to me though. The front subframe is too far back. I thought about using the front crash bar somehow. Not sure how without modifying the body and I don’t want to do that.

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There was some discussion awhile back, and I don't believe there was ever a solution. I was interested and all I came up with was the T-hook for the slot under the frame. I carry one in the car for the front, but the only thing for the rear is the tow hitch. It requires a hole in the rear bumper and that is why I don't have one of those. I would be very interested if someone came up with something that would work with the cameras and not require hacking up the bodywork.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Since the Commodore was the car used in the Supercars racing I was hoping their solution could be ours. But, like NASCAR, the names and decals are what separate one car chassis/body, from another in that series also, it seems.

The lack of accessible tow points does keep the SS off some local tracks, which require ways to expeditiously get dangers away from the track. Lots of ways the car can be moved by wreckers, but the word "wrecker" is certainly apt in these cases.

Anybody have any idea how these things were strapped down in the ships which got them to us? Perhaps the points used there could be a starting point for a tow set up?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
AFAIK, no one on this board has successfuly installed tow hooks. I researched prior to a track day and found bubkes*. Thought it would also give my sleeper SS a bit of an edgy look but couldn't get no satisfaction.

*Common usage bubkes means 'nothing'. Literally it means 'grandmother's titz'.

Reactions: ESindon and good2go

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's not just track days. Same goes for break downs. The toey refused to winch me onto the flatbed tilt tray as he was adamant that the front bumper would be damaged by the cable. I was able to baby it on the tray even with a shot dif. the only other option was going to be dragged up in reverse by the tow bar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw someone on fb a while back that had one of those tubular crash bar replacements that go with the full mesh style front end.

The tubular crash bar had a threaded hole for a tow hook.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
It's not just track days. Same goes for break downs. The toey refused to winch me onto the flatbed tilt tray as he was adamant that the front bumper would be damaged by the cable. I was able to baby it on the tray even with a shot dif. the only other option was going to be dragged up in reverse by the tow bar.
That is an interesting dilemma I've never thought of. How do you get the car on a ramp truck if you have a mechanical failure...

·
Registered
2014 Chevy SS, 2.3L Maggie, 2in ARH, ZL1 Cam, Tune
45 Posts
Well lesson learned, at a track without a tow hook they will run a strap through the windows and pull by the A pillars. Not for the faint of heart, the cable will crush you hood.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Well lesson learned, at a track without a tow hook they will run a strap through the windows and pull by the A pillars. Not for the faint of heart, the cable will crush you hood.
We're in suspense waiting for the rest of the story and hoping it didn't involve your SS.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy SS, 2.3L Maggie, 2in ARH, ZL1 Cam, Tune
45 Posts
It was mine, just happened yesterday so no diagnostic. Prognosis isn't looking good anytime I've had a car die with no warning it has always been a catastrophic failure. Car still turnsover but wont fire and doesn't have oil pressure. Maybe a easy fix maybe not, but no codes means I need to break it down.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
In regards to the tow point/hook, as shown in the quote by @geraldchristie6 , member @dDUBb has a tow hook mounted. I believe he was going to get things cleaned up and then let us in on the project.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
When they say they will tow from any point, they really mean it. Sorry to hear about your situation .. Its bad enough to have a drivetrain problem and unnecessary body damage.

I believe he was going to get things cleaned up and then let us in on the project.
I have almost everything lined up now .. Improved design has been detailed, steel material on hand and a welder ready. I might have a small batch made up, just in case .. 😉

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
I have almost everything lined up now .. Improved design has been detailed, steel material on hand and a welder ready. I might have a small batch made up, just in case .. 😉
Key fobs and calipers, airbags and Alcoa's, tires and tow hooks, one stop shopping for all things SS!

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
691 Posts
The appropriate T hook for the front worked fine for my flatbed situation. I'm not sure it would work for any vehicle lowered, or with a chin spoiler. Latching /Strapping the car down is another sketchy situation once its up there.

·
Registered
8 Posts

To those who were interested.... I finally was able to get around to finishing my project (started in March and was in a really bad motorcycle crash mid-project and was finally able to get it done).

·
Registered
8 Posts
in my decade of track days in a mustang, i never ran across a group that required exterior tow implements. also luckily never needed to be towed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I carry tee hook/j hook combos in the trunk any time I'm at the track.

That still provides no help on the rear. And if the front is sitting nose down, there is likely to be inadequate access to get under and hook into the "frame" with the hooks.

Our cars came from the factory with wheels with hefty spokes. I'd rather see somebody towing my disabled car using my wheels for pull points than have them use my A pillars or C pillars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts