Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Has anybody installed a Torqstorm supercharger on to their SS? They don't sell a Chevy SS specific kit, but sell ones for Pontiac G8 and 5gen Camaro. Basically, they sell you the supercharger and brackets, and you source injectors and air to air intercooler. Construction seems solid. For those who don't know, there are like a smaller Prochargers.

Interested on peoples experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Made in the USA
2. Quality construction
3. Lifetime warranty
4. 550 - 650hp should be more than fine for my daily family hauler.
5. Cheaper

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. You'll still pay for an intercooler + hoses, BOV, a thousand bucks for some good injectors, etc, vs a completely engineered kit. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually Torqstorm comes with BOV. At 600hp you don't need 1K dollar injectors. For less than 4K I would probably have the same kit that of a 6.5K "adult size", with almost the same power.

Also "adult size" supercharger kit does not come with 1K injectors, comes with 50lb/hr, probably Bosh, and hp also starts around that, 600hp. You want more power? Spend more.

The question is about the SS platform, not HP or $. Again, im not asking on opinions if its worth it or should you buy. Im asking real experience of people using them on the SS platform, if any. So, thanks for not contributing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've tuned several cars with these superchargers. They have all made great power.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
our cars do share alot of parts with both the G8 and Caprice. Only differance
I can see by Google is the steering pump. Good deal for street muscle. I would
hunt around for some reviews.

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
There are more differences in electrical etc as well than the PS change. Some mechanical changes include the cooler set ups as well, so for example G8 LT headers won't fit an SS.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
411 Posts
Where any on an SS?
Unfortunately, no. But one of them was a G8 GXP manual trans. That car made 650ish hp on 8 psi and E85. Intake temps stayed very low, which tells me that the blower was relatively happy at that boost level and heat wasn't an issue.

I'd compare this head unit to the Procharger D1x.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Will have to remove the windshield washer bottle and make a relocated workaround; same for the stock trans cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I have a friend who built a car for SEMA with two of these units

I always saw them as a nice alternative - especially on classic cars.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is there any benefit going with Torqstorm over using the LSA supercharger kit?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Torqstorm is a centrifugal supercharger which builds boost as rpm increases. It is typically easier on driveline parts (because a lack of torque vs PD), but it has more potential for high HP than a PD supercharger.

LSA is a positive displacement (PD) supercharger which generally builds the same amount of boost across the rpm range. PD superchargers make great torque and good HP, but are somewhat limited in the higher HP ranges vs centrifugal.

My personal feeling is:
Automatic - PD
Manual - centri

·
Registered
411 Posts
My personal feeling is:
Automatic - PD
Manual - centri
I feel the exact opposite. Lol. With the lack of torque converter in a manual equipped car, I feel the extra torque from a PD blower would perform better. I dunno. Lol

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Seems no one has put one on an SS yet, or did I miss it ????

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Apparently not. But, if and when he or someone else follows through with this particular mod, they can give us a step by step tutorial on how the G-8 kit might be adapted to the SS! Also, the other ancillary bits and pieces like Intercooler and piping, higher flow flow injectors, trans cooler and WW tank relocate with pics would be good. Costs of those extras appreciated. Some dyno results would be enlightening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On power delivery, I think centrifugal is slighter better for a street car.
AITs seem to be generally lower than PD, and gets colder faster after a run.
I've heard Installation is easier and strait forward.
Blow off whooshing sounds, if you're into that.

I personally think this company is a good option and offers a pretty good value for people who don't want a high HP build for a single kit, they have double blower setups capable of 1,200 - 1,300 HP. Especially now that cheap LSA blowers are basically extinct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nop, apparently nobody.

I saw somebody who sold a kit in the SS FB pages, that's what made me curious if somebody had taken the leap and tried it on an SS, knowing they don't make a kit especially for us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts