Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't read much about F11 on the SS forums yet, but I keep seeing it pop up in other car groups. After researching more and getting feedback from other users, thought I'd take one for the team and try it myself on the SS. Also, I'm not sponsored or paid by TopCoat or any companies I mention in the video. Just sharing my two cents on this interesting product.

Part 1 - Easy on/easy off, great quality shine, and seems to repel dust/dirt well.

Part 2 - Could this replace my weekly car wash routine I've been doing for years? Will have to test it out over the next month or two and see.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you purchase? How much did you purchase? The Gallon? How much has been used on the 3 coats?
I ordered online from their website, I don't think it's available anywhere else at the moment. I just bought the 16oz bottle. I estimate I've used about 2-3 ounces so far. I plan on using it even less, if at all, for a while, and just follow TopCoat's instructions and just wash the car with ONLY water... then dry off... still trying to wrap my head around that but I'm going to give it a try over the next few weeks when I do my weekly "wash".

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a spray bottle filed with water and a microfiber; it does work :)

Good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Any updates?
I saw on FB that you need to wash the car with Dawn to take off all the old wax and polish, did you do that?

·
Registered
794 Posts
As with any compound, polish and finishing coat (wax/sealant/ceramic), it's always best to strip any existing coatings/contaminants before application. I always recommend a paint-prep with, at the minimum, a "strip" wash and clay bar before correction.

I have given it a whirl based on a lot of talk out there. It does offer a pretty good shine and could probably skip paint-prep step if the paint is clean. With that said, if you are looking for long-lasting protection, it doesn't remotely come close on their claims; closer to a polymer-based spray wax, which is probably what it is. Not saying it's complete snake oil, but there are other significantly better products out there.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
F11 is performing as advertised. But I agree with @austinb - I can get the same results as far as looks and quality of shine from my current products. The only interesting thing so far is that a week after I applied the third coat, I washed the car a couple of days ago with only water and NO soap as recommended by TopCoat, and it looks really good. The 3 layers of TopCoat was still very slick. What's interesting is that it wasn't even that dirty to begin with after a week of no washing, plus two days of rain and road spray, TopCoat doing its "job" repelling some dirt I suppose. Usually after a lot of rain and road spray, my car is a mess, even with the weekly treatment ritual of hand washing prior to using TopCoat. That being said, I still plan on giving the TopCoat F11 a few more weeks with just weekly washing with water, no soap - I've been documenting the results each week on video so I can try and cut a final video in a few weeks. So we shall see.

Reactions: austinb and Drone

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are u Just spraying w water or hand washing w no soap
I did one hand wash with no soap, just water. It felt really strange lol.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE!

Final thoughts about TopCoat F11, and a little exterior mod at the end.

Reactions: 6SpdManualSilver

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not the SS, but I gave the GTI some TopCoat F11 attention as well. It has not been washed in 4 weeks either, just rain and Topcoat. 3 coats so far.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Haven't had time to do a video, but wanted to share my overall feedback about TopCoat F11.

After two months of using TopCoat F11 I am going back to my normal car care routine. I think F11 does a great job producing a nice quality shine. But it didn't really do much more than that, at least not to my satisfaction. Sure it repelled some dirt and water, but after some time, it wasn't anything to write home about. Sure it saved some time from my weekly routine, but not for long (started using it about 2 months ago) as the F11 "clean" condition just wasn't as satisfying as a real two-bucket wash. And when I followed instructions to clean it with F11 and microfiber towels (like one would do with waterless wash), it just didn't feel completely clean. TopCoat states that it gets better the more you apply. But even after applying more layers to "clean" and maintain the shine, it did not get much easier to clean off bugs/dirt like they claim LOL. Not to mention some light scratches that inherently come from this spray-and-wipe-ONLY process. But maybe it was my technique - no one's perfect!

Since I had my usual sealants/waxes already on the car, TopCoat states that after 1 or 2 applications, F11 will start working through that product. Hence why I applied multiple layers - a total of 5 layers with the occasional quick wipe down of F11 in between. I also followed TopCoat instructions to just wash the car with water, and only water. After two months of using it, I'm not sold on that method at all.

So after giving F11 a try, I decided it was time to go back to the traditional hand wash methods/detailing processes I've been doing for a long time. I'll say in my humble opinion, F11 makes a great waterless wash product that gives my car a real nice shine. OR a nice detail spray replacement for that ultimate shine after a hand wash, although an expensive one. But after 5 coats, and some random applications in between, the resulting appearance is no better than using my good old detail spray, waterless wash, spray wax, regular wax, etc. which are usually less expensive! But I still do feel the F11 just has that nicer quality of shine than some products I've used in the past. But not nice enough for me to spend $60 on a single 16oz bottle.

If you use TopCoat F11 and it's working well for you, then by all means, keep on going! I think we all have different levels of expectations of acceptable results - to each their own. So, as I said from the start, I took one for the team and gave it a shot. For me nothing beats a good two-bucket wash and proper technique for that satisfying clean. In fact, last week I polished my SS with my Adams Swirl Killer and Correcting Polish to get my paint back to fresh status :) Yesterday I gave it a good 2 bucket hand wash, then some Adams H20 Guard & Gloss, then some Meguiars carnauba wax.

Hope this helps others to decide on their own. Happy detailing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thx Arm in. I just put on my first coat yesterday on my black tundra crewmax. I buffed the vehicle first with 1st cut meguiers. It does have a beautiful shine to it. I too will monitor my satisfaction. Thanks for the location of the Adams sponge. I have one on the way. TY...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Reactions: Armin DeFiesta

·
Registered
151 Posts
Armin, thanks for the review.

For someone with zero time and a car that never sees indoors (in New Jersey no less) would this product be a good solution to min/max keeping my car clean with minimal effort and time spent?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts